Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Anyone from Australia? Need food suggestions...

Hello, all,

I've started a wine club with a few friend by which we meet periodically and
eat and drink wine to a particular theme. Our next meeting is a "south of
the equator" theme where we will drink wine and eat food from Chile,
Argentina, Australia, New Zealand.

I've got my wine selections out of the way - no problem. Now I need some
help coming up with a couple of recipes to share. Can anyone recommend some
yummy yet not-too-difficult appetizer-type dishes to share? I say appetizers
as I don't think we intend to sit down to a plated dinner, so "finger foods"
might be best. "Shrimp on the Bar-B" is kind of cliché. Heck, I even thought
of vegemite finger sandwiches, but I thought this might be the equivalent of
an American peanut butter sandwich.

I live in California, so I have access to pretty much any kind of
ingredients.

Suggestions are appreciated!

Phil from Irvine, CA

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Combest" > wrote in
:

> Hello, all,
>
> I've started a wine club with a few friend by which we meet
> periodically and eat and drink wine to a particular theme. Our next
> meeting is a "south of the equator" theme where we will drink wine and
> eat food from Chile, Argentina, Australia, New Zealand.
>
> I've got my wine selections out of the way - no problem. Now I need
> some help coming up with a couple of recipes to share. Can anyone
> recommend some yummy yet not-too-difficult appetizer-type dishes to
> share? I say appetizers as I don't think we intend to sit down to a
> plated dinner, so "finger foods" might be best. "Shrimp on the Bar-B"
> is kind of cliché. Heck, I even thought of vegemite finger sandwiches,
> but I thought this might be the equivalent of an American peanut
> butter sandwich.
>
> I live in California, so I have access to pretty much any kind of
> ingredients.
>
> Suggestions are appreciated!
>
> Phil from Irvine, CA

Vegemite could be quite a hard pairing indeed (similar hard match would
be Tapenade from France) Actually a version of Shrimp on the Barbie
might well work as the typical barbie experience is not just shrimp but
also chicken, beef and lamb (and if you can get 'roo . . . well life is
good indeed)

Your whites are covered with NZ break out the oysters on the half shell
and for the light reds well there is always guinea pig-though you might
want to go with rabbit instead.

I am sure the Swooper and Lord St. H. and Potblak (didn't forget you
Martin!) would have more authentic ideas. Of course Potblak coming from
the largest Greek city outside of Athens might want Dolmas!

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021