Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wines at Aldi

A new Aldi has just opened near me, and I had a brief look. They have
masses of really good appellations like Margaux, Pauillac, Barolo,
Sauternes, Champagne, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Eiswein etc at what look like
bargain prices.

I was sorely tempted but I'm not experienced at recognising the best
producers and I've been disappointed before. Has anyone got any experience
of these Aldi wines?

R.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> Ragnar wrote:
>> A new Aldi has just opened near me,

> Where's that?

Altrincham.

I saw it first. Hands off.
:-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ragnar" > wrote in message
>A new Aldi has just opened near me, and I had a brief look. They have
>masses of really good appellations like Margaux, Pauillac, Barolo,
>Sauternes, Champagne, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Eiswein etc at what look like
>bargain prices.
>
> I was sorely tempted but I'm not experienced at recognising the best
> producers and I've been disappointed before. Has anyone got any experience
> of these Aldi wines?
>
> R.

I drink their Landshut riesling quite often. Sometimes they have it in
spatlese, also nice. Of their other offerings I've haven't regreted
anything for the price they charge.

Quite a few yard parties started there...

Mark Sievert

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:06:44 GMT, "Ragnar" > wrote:

>Mike Tommasi wrote:
>> Ragnar wrote:
>>> A new Aldi has just opened near me,

>> Where's that?

>Altrincham.

England - UK.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:01:44 GMT, "Ragnar" > wrote:

>A new Aldi has just opened near me, and I had a brief look. They have
>masses of really good appellations like Margaux, Pauillac, Barolo,
>Sauternes, Champagne, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Eiswein etc at what look like
>bargain prices.

The Eiswein and Beerenauslese they get in for Christmas usually seem
to attract favourable comments on the UK Wine Forum.

Personally I would rather pay more and get better. It isn't as if
German wine is overpriced generally. See Cambridge Wine Merchants for
example for mature Germain wines.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve Slatcher wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 19:06:44 GMT, "Ragnar" > wrote:
>
>> Mike Tommasi wrote:
>>>
>>> Where's that?

>> Altrincham.

> England - UK.

Ooops yes sorry folks - I keep forgetting this is not a UK-based NG

:-)

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ragnar wrote:
> Steve Slatcher wrote:

>>> Altrincham.

>> England - UK.

> Ooops yes sorry folks - I keep forgetting this is not a UK-based NG

Oh, let's just clear that up right now.

We all know this is a Napa Valley-based NG.

Have a nice day.

(ducking and running for cover from those that can't tell I'm
*just kidding*)
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dana Myers > wrote:

> Ragnar wrote:
> > Steve Slatcher wrote:

> >> England - UK.

> > Ooops yes sorry folks - I keep forgetting this is not a UK-based NG

> Oh, let's just clear that up right now.
>
> We all know this is a Napa Valley-based NG.
>
> Have a nice day.
>

> (ducking and running for cover from those that can't tell I'm
> *just kidding*)

I could have sworn it was based in Leverkusen... ; - )

Dave

--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ragnar beliebte zu schreiben :
> A new Aldi has just opened near me, and I had a brief look. They have
> masses of really good appellations like Margaux, Pauillac, Barolo,
> Sauternes, Champagne, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Eiswein etc at what look
> like bargain prices.
>
> I was sorely tempted but I'm not experienced at recognising the best
> producers and I've been disappointed before. Has anyone got any
> experience of these Aldi wines?
>
> R.

In addition to what others stated:

Aldi has a certain reputation for buying overproduction directly at the
producers (for a mere sing) and hence being able to sell, well, decent
wines at very reasonable prices.

Aldi's major drawback, however, is that they don't carry most of these
wines in their permanent assortment; rather, you'll find them only
occasionally and for a brief period. The way to go is to buy one bottle,
to open and taste it the same day and, if satisfied, to go and buy as
much of the rest as you can get...

As always, the "individual mileage" disclaimer is applicable.

Helmut
--
Nach dera Zei'n kimmt nix mehr

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Helmut P. Einfalt" > wrote:

> Helmut

Wo Du überall auftauchst ...

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay beliebte zu schreiben :
> "Helmut P. Einfalt" > wrote:
>
>> Helmut

> Wo Du überall auftauchst ...

Guess who directed me here...

Helmut
--
Nach dera Zei'n kimmt nix mehr

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Helmut P. Einfalt" > wrote:

>> Wo Du überall auftauchst ...

> Guess who directed me here...

Doch nicht etwa ich?

Sakra, was ich alles vergesse ... ;-(

M., jetzt endlich eine 7.000-Zeichen-Story über die Weinbaugebiete
Wien und Niederösterreich für die nächste Ausgabe des Billa-
Magazins ("Frisch gekocht & besser leben") beginnend.

At ALDI MisterDiddyWahDiddy General Cooking 0 19-03-2016 04:26 PM
Wings at ALDI Winters_Lackey General Cooking 2 07-05-2014 06:07 PM
What's with ALDI? phaeton General Cooking 71 06-01-2010 08:46 PM
Aldi cybercat General Cooking 151 12-11-2007 04:35 PM
TN: wines with pasta, wines with rice noodles, wines with fondue DaleW Wine 1 26-12-2006 04:23 AM