Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Possible high-tech ...

Hello,
Friday we were having a glass and a bite with our mates and two friends of
theirs. Discussion turned from golf (of which we know next to nothing - you,
apparently, use balls, and it is perpetrated outdoors) to wine. One of the
friends came upp with this suggestion:
How about some sort of indicator on the wine bottle to show its degree of
readiness? Something like those "done"-thingies on certain industry raised
fowl, you know, a blue spike plops out of a white dohickey means you will
not get salmonella from eating it.
He envisioned this for wines in the medium range - say SEK 150 and up - that
would take kindly to a few years in the cellar. His argument was that, if
you only had one bottle, it would be a good thing if you did not discover it
had gone over the top, or vice versa, would have really benefited from
another year's rest.

The idea as such strikes me as quite funny in a good way. However, what
would be the chemicals that one would trace for? To my knowledge, there does
not exist any compound in the wine that would mark its maturation.

The next problem would be how to communicate the findings from inside the
bottle to the outside (message FROM a bottle, not IN a bottle).

Anybody with an idea?

Cheers

Nils
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:05:27 GMT, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:

>How about some sort of indicator on the wine bottle to show its degree of
>readiness? Something like those "done"-thingies on certain industry raised
>fowl, you know, a blue spike plops out of a white dohickey means you will
>not get salmonella from eating it.

I have devices that plop out of my bottles when the wine is due to
drink :-)

They're not without problems though.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

High Tech Kitchen Idea [email protected] General Cooking 22 01-01-2009 07:29 PM
Local Chinese Rstrnt goes high tech. Barry General Cooking 0 29-05-2007 11:47 AM
High tech supermarket shopping. Andy General Cooking 141 19-09-2006 07:43 PM
High-tech viticulture Tom S Winemaking 1 03-11-2003 02:46 PM
High-tech viticulture Tom S Wine 0 03-11-2003 04:35 AM