Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 01 Ch. les Grands Marechaux

Where did it come from? No idea! What did it cost? None either!

I can only guess this premieres cotes de Blaye was a gift from someone,
or maybe Adele or I bought it with the idea of trying, then forgot about
it. Anyway sitting on the "rack of misfit toys" next to a 01 Lesparre, I
brought it in as a backup.

The Lesparre being oxidised to within an inch of its life, the top brass
was brought in. Served with a really fine rare roast beef (20 minutes on
full oven) from the talented M. Toulane, who assures this to be a local
female yearling (genisse).

Not much in the nose, but beyond a tight front palate the wine opened
with much chortling aeration (God forbid we had had guests, children were
already sufficiently embarrassed) solid black fruit, graphite, tar and tobacco.
Tannic as one might expect but really quite well balanced.

Actually quite enjoyable with the beef, the wine was still very young, and
if anyone has any (assuming there was more than the 1 bottle made) it
should do quite nicely in 5 or so years. Thanks to the anonymous donor!
(Even if it were we...)

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 9, 6:09?pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Where did it come from? No idea! What did it cost? None either!
>
> I can only guess this premieres cotes de Blaye was a gift from someone,
> or maybe Adele or I bought it with the idea of trying, then forgot about
> it. Anyway sitting on the "rack of misfit toys" next to a 01 Lesparre, I
> brought it in as a backup.
>
> The Lesparre being oxidised to within an inch of its life, the top brass
> was brought in. Served with a really fine rare roast beef (20 minutes on
> full oven) from the talented M. Toulane, who assures this to be a local
> female yearling (genisse).
>
> Not much in the nose, but beyond a tight front palate the wine opened
> with much chortling aeration (God forbid we had had guests, children were
> already sufficiently embarrassed) solid black fruit, graphite, tar and tobacco.
> Tannic as one might expect but really quite well balanced.
>
> Actually quite enjoyable with the beef, the wine was still very young, and
> if anyone has any (assuming there was more than the 1 bottle made) it
> should do quite nicely in 5 or so years. Thanks to the anonymous donor!
> (Even if it were we...)
>
> -E
>
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies
> Questions about wine? Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Any Parker fans visit? I believe the Grands Marechaux is a perennial
WA favorite, at least this century. I have liked it- not that Reignac
over the topness, just a good ripe Bordeaux. I think most of the 2001
satellites are drinking well now, but you're right they should have
some future. Thanks for notes.