Posted to alt.food.wine

Default "There are standards by which we can judge a wine, or musical score, or painting to be better than another, and these reflect discernible properties of those objects, though it may take practice and experience to recognize them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/bo...tml?ref=review

Posted to alt.food.wine

Although I have not read the book, the review brings forth from it an
old, and IMHO an important, argument; on the on hand is the popular
point of view ... "the oft-repeated incantation that taste is personal
and all opinions are equally valid" whereas the author holds that
ÒThere are standards by which we can judge a wine, or musical score, or
painting to be better than another, and these reflect discernible
properties of those objects, though it may take practice and experience
to recognize them.Ó

I applaud the author for standing up for critical thought and the
discipline it takes to achieve it. A value I find sadly lacking in the
worlds of both wine and music these days.

On 2007-11-03 02:24:12 -0700, "
> said:

> http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/bo...tml?ref=review

Posted to alt.food.wine

> I applaud the author for standing up for critical thought and the
> discipline it takes to achieve it. A value I find sadly lacking in the
> worlds of both wine and music these days.

I got into an argument in days past with one of those "if you like it,
it's good" folks. Quality is quality is quality and is objective;
whether it be music, tea, wine, art, or whatever. As for "standards",
those are a little hard to define but one definitely knows if they are
drinking good wine or tea and if they don't know, with a little
education, experience, and practice, they'll soon get it.

I suppose the first standard would be quality, though. Anything
that's good quality is usually well above the rest of the pack. I
don't have too many wine stories but some of the best tea I've had has
been served to me in some small yurts or countryside houses here in
China.