Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [OT] Steamed dim sum dumplings revisited

Hello,
Some time ago I asked for advice concerning making dim sum dumplings in my
new Chinese bamboo steamer. Several graciously shared tips and woes they had
encountered - I now believ I have a working solution.
As pointed out, dumplings must no be in contact with each other.
Cutting a piece of non-stick paper (of the kind used for baking, e g) nad
placing it in the steamer basket, taking care to leve room for the steam,
proved very useful.
Extremely important is to drain the stuffing - put in a sieve or similar to
let excess fluid drop off!

In my example, which I cooked for Ch Sunday evening, I had marinated finely
chopped raw salmon and marinated it with choped fresh chili, spring onion,
red pepper, and garlic stalks, for several hours. I then poured the stuffing
in a sieve and let it drip dry, shaking it now and again, for ten minutes (I
suppose even more efficacious would have been placing it on absorbent paper,
except it appeared superfluous).

IOt was then easy to put the salmon and vegs on the wonton pastry, using tea
spoons, and make the little packets. Steaming fro 5 minutes proved
sufficient. I was hailed a hero by Ch.

We had abottle of Ch Rouliere, from Savenniere in Loire, 2000, which was a
very nice accompaniment.
[c] slightly goldish
[n] slight oxidiation, nuttiness, honey
[p] bracing acidity in attack, yellow plum fruit, nuttiness and hint of
sherry

The oxidazation did not progress during the evening, and if there were any
complaints it was my feeling that the wine lacked somehow in personality. B+

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se