Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Echezeaux 1970, DRC

The Echezeaux 1970 from DRC was properly stored since release, had a
good fill, and had a good cork. The first bottle I tasted many years
ago was badly corked and undrinkable. However this bottle was not
corked or oxidized. The color was still medium scarlet with a bit of
age showing around the rim. The bouquet was fairly intense and fairly
complex with the usual cherry, black cherry, etc fruit. There was a
hint of spice and a bit of earthy character. However it was a quite
decent wine and superior to the Grands Echezeaux 1970 tasted a few
weeks ago, which was rather unbalanced. It is not too far behind the
quality of La Tache 1970 and Richebourg 1970 which also have been
tasted in the last year or so. The La Tache and Richebourg are about
of equal quality, but I would rate the La Tache a bit higher. I have
not tasted the 1970 Romanee-Conti in many years, so it will be tasted
next. I frankly doubt if it will be much better, but you would not
guess that from the current price of Romanee-Conti 1970. I paid under
$50 for it back in the 1970s, which was expensive then, but not an
astronomical price, unlike now. If I were younger and still collecting
wine for long aging, I think I would sell 3 of the 4 bottles of
Romanee-Conti 1970 and use the profit to buy La Tache from a recent
outstanding vintage to age.