Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Roncier, Prevote, Chivite, Champy, Havens

Betsy was in city reading quartets Wednesday, I headed to the river
park for the village jazz series. Lovely night by the river, clear
skies, a steady breeze, comfortable temps. Heaven, except for the lack
of Betsy. I enjoyed cold soup, cheeses, bread, and wine with friends:

NV Roncier
This is a Vin de Table, apparently from Burgundy (Fred said based in
Mercurey). His parents buy for 2 euros, maybe its worth about that. He
says all Pinot Noir. To me it tastes like underripe Gamay, or maybe a
blend like Passetoutgrains. Red (but green) cherry fruit, shrill
acidity, not much body but manages to have hard tannins. Short. C/C-

2006 Prevote Touraine Sauvignon
Much better, whew. Some grass, light citrus fruit, not a lot of
complexity but clean SB fruit. B

2006 Chivite "Gran Fuedo" Rosado
Very nice, clean strawberry fruit with a little hint of ripe
watermelon, good finish for a light-bodied wine,.a little hint of
mineral to add complexity. Oh, nevermind, it doesn't need complexity,
a nice crisp bright light-bodied rosé. Day 2 showed a little pleasant
bitterness to the cherry/strawberry fruit, holding well. B/B+

1995 Champy Beaune 1er
According to bottle this was a bottling to commemorate the 275th
anniversary of the house of Champy. Picked up some cheap, decided to
try the one bottle that had seepage (previously disclosed). Tight,
hard, and sharp at opening. A little time softened the edges, with
black cherry and raspberry fruit, a little orange zest, some earth. A
couple hours after the concert it showed at its best, acidity framing
a nice body of dark berry/cherry fruit, and some cedary notes. On day
2 it was showing too much in the way of oxidative notes -certainly
drinkable, but with a slightly hot kirsch note. I'll give a B, a
decent buy at $20, and hope maybe bottles in better shape might show
better.

Thursday was dinner at home with the in-laws, Betsy made rib lamb
chops in a rub of peppers and herbs, served with a tzatziki-like
sauce, accompanied by bulgur with mushrooms and a green salad. I
decided to just open a half-bottle, as we also sampled leftover rose
and Burg. The 375 of the 1996 Havens Bourriquot (Napa) was a pretty
nice bottle of red (Cab Franc/Merlot). Lush black raspberry and cassis
fruit, mild vanilla notes, some cocoa emerging with time. Nicely
balanced, enough acidity to keep lively, tannins integrated and
smooth. A pointe for my tastes, though 750s might be less evolved. B+/
A-

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

TN: Mostly whites, plus ESJ & Havens DaleW Wine 0 28-08-2010 10:01 PM
TN: Havens, Baudry, and Ellner DaleW Wine 4 27-04-2010 09:52 PM
TN: more wines in GA (Guigal, Havens, etc) DaleW Wine 1 31-12-2006 06:37 PM
TN: '96 Havens Bourriquot DaleW Wine 0 03-11-2005 02:34 AM
TN: first week back (Champy, Druid, Mascarallo, etc) Dale Williams Wine 0 10-08-2004 01:48 AM