Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Cantemerle, Ridge, Old Burg, Riojas....Lunch Notes

Blind tasting lunch notes for May:

2004 Brda Movia Pinot Grigio (Slovenia) - with vines on both sides of
the Italian border, but the winery in Slovenia. Hint of lime in the
nose, and some pettilance. Tapers off and a bit simple.

1962 Dom. Charles Noellat Nuits St. Georges - so what would you expect
from a village wine from a producer that no longer exists (bought out
in 1987 by Leroy)? It was quite pale in colour and had a lovely
complex mature nose, - so much so that I was almost reluctant to taste
it for fear that the palate would let the wonderful old nose down. The
wine was silky smooth, with all tannin resolved, good length, just a
total delight to taste. It stood up well in the glass, not fading as
many would. What an over-achieving village wine!

1983 Ch. Cantemerle - good colour, fairly dark, actually, with a
decidedly cabernet nose and light tannins, this wine drinks very well
now with good levels of fruit.

1998 Ch. Rochemorin - this little Graves was very pleasant with a
slightly ripe nose, good colour, soft and mellow on palate. Drink now.

2000 Dom. de la Solitude Chateauneuf du Pape - not a producer we often
see. chalky fruit nose, sweet entry, mellow in the mouth, low acid and
ready to drink. I don't see this precocious wine as going anywhere in
particular but it should hold.

2002 Planeta Syrah - an Italian Syrah threw us a bit. It was a big
purple wine with ripe fruit, sweet nose, almost Australian in size,
but not as sweet on palate, decent finish. Great ringer!

I don't always mention the food, but we had one course that was just
perfect - a truffle flan with smoked duck - light and so well matched
to the wines!

2002 Van Loveren Limited Release Syrah - off to the Cape - a wine with
good levels of fruit, dark, velvety smooth in the mouth, with slight
pepper. A small lots item bought at Neiderberg Auction.

1995 Ridge Zinfandel Lytton Springs - I like Zins with age, the
downside being that a significant percentage will fade out on you,
with no staying power. This one was good, though, the colour a bit
lighter than the last few, also with a somewhat ripe nose, a fair load
of soft tannin, and very decent fruit, with good acid on palate and a
somewhat sweet end.

2000 Vina Alberdi Reserve (La Rioja Alta) - a Rioja made a change of
pace, with lighter colour (looked more like a Burg), a faint whiff of
pepper and smooth texture.

1998 Vina Tondonia Reserva (Lopez de Heredia) - limpid medium red
colour, quite attractive, and smooth and harmonious on palate,
perfectly ready to drink. Unusual that we'd get two Riojas in one
lunch!

1994 Mount Veeder Cabernet Reserve - nice way to end - a wine that
showed a real fruit driven nose, the oak an omnipresent undertone, not
obtrusive, full bodied and with lots of terminal acidity. No rush at
all on this wine, which should continue to improve.

Posted to alt.food.wine

.. What an over-achieving village wine!

20 odd years ago, we had a bottle of Wine Society own bottled Gevrey
Chambertin 1959.

It still sticks in the memory as one of my lifetime wines. A simple village
wine!!

Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 03-06-2012 06:25 PM
Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 06-08-2011 04:27 PM
Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 0 01-07-2011 10:59 PM
May Lunch Notes Bill S. Wine 1 27-05-2010 09:11 PM
Lunch Notes Bill Spohn Wine 1 30-11-2003 11:00 AM