Posted to alt.food.wine

Default It was Marmellans

a Montsant indeed. I saw a picture of the lunch table and there it was!
this appears to be a "private" label for the restaurant so even the name
could be a made up thing. I didn't think to write down the actual
bodega. Anyway a nice wine for 8 euro in a restaurant in Tarragona.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
:

> a Montsant indeed. I saw a picture of the lunch table and there it was!
> this appears to be a "private" label for the restaurant so even the name
> could be a made up thing. I didn't think to write down the actual
> bodega. Anyway a nice wine for 8 euro in a restaurant in Tarragona.

The bodega is, in fact, Celler de Capcanes. It seems to be one of their
basic wines (that would explain the 8 euros price in a restaurant).
Probably retailing 3 or 4 wines.

If you liked this wine, perhaps you should try some other wines from this
cooperative.

Best,

Santiago
Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago wrote:
> Joseph Coulter > wrote in
> :

> If you liked this wine, perhaps you should try some other wines from this
> cooperative.
>
> Best,
>
> Santiago

Thank you, I knew it was a cheapy, just a good one. While we are here a
little off topic but is the pronunciation of Terragona without a hard
"g" as in "Terra hona" That seemed to be the way people in the area were
pronouncing it.

Thanks for the information.

Joseph Coulter
Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > wrote in
:

> Thank you, I knew it was a cheapy, just a good one. While we are here
> a little off topic but is the pronunciation of Terragona without a
> hard "g" as in "Terra hona" That seemed to be the way people in the
> area were pronouncing it.

Joseph,

I don't know if what you heard was Spanish or Catalán, but in Spanish,
Tarragona has a g that sounds like the g in "goat" as oposed to the g in
"gipsy".

ga, gue, gui, go, gu the g sounds like in "goat"
ge, gi the g sounds like a spanish j (e.g. "jamón"), but I am not sure
there is a phonem in English for that.

Best,

S.
Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago wrote:
> Joseph Coulter > wrote in
> :
>
>> Thank you, I knew it was a cheapy, just a good one. While we are here
>> a little off topic but is the pronunciation of Terragona without a
>> hard "g" as in "Terra hona" That seemed to be the way people in the
>> area were pronouncing it.

> Joseph,
>
> I don't know if what you heard was Spanish or Catalán, but in Spanish,
> Tarragona has a g that sounds like the g in "goat" as oposed to the g in
> "gipsy".
>
> ga, gue, gui, go, gu the g sounds like in "goat"
> ge, gi the g sounds like a spanish j (e.g. "jamón"), but I am not sure
> there is a phonem in English for that.
>
> Best,
>
> S.

I*knew* that but was wondering if those pesky Catalans have an unusual
pronunciation for the go (hard in every other Romance languange with
which I have familiarity)

thanks again

Posted to alt.food.wine

santiago wrote:

> ga, gue, gui, go, gu the g sounds like in "goat"
> ge, gi the g sounds like a spanish j (e.g. "jamón"), but I am not sure
> there is a phonem in English for that.

Totally OT, but the answer to your question is "sometimes." We retain
that rule for words derived from Romance languages (mostly the Normans')
whereas the words derived from Anglo-Saxon roots don't follow that rule.
So we have "gestation" which has the soft (j) sound and "get" which
takes the hard g. Just as with the various Latinate languages, the same
holds for c:

ceiling (soft c)
cinch (soft)
car (hard)
cover (hard)
cut (hard)

Also, as in the Latinate languages, we can force a hard g by adding a u
after it:
guitar (hard)
guise (hard)
guide (hard)
guess (hard)

In all those cases, the u has no sound other than changing the sound of
the g. That rule doesn't exist with c, though, probably because of the
overlap with "qu."

HTH
Mark Lipton