Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Europe Trip

Just got back from visiting Burgundy and Germany. In Burgundy did some
barrel tasting of the 05 vintage. Just about all of the reds I tasted were
classic. The whites were very good. I am told that when released they will
be pretty expensive. I also tasted some of the 06 wines that just finished
fermentation. The reds at this stage, I believe will be good and the whites
better.

In the Mosel most were finished with the harvest or about to finish in a few
days. Very early harvest. Corp is small. Just about every class of grapes
have been touched by botrytis. Sugar levels are very high but for the most
part have very good acid. Crop appears to be like the 76 vintage but with
good acid. Very little QBA and Kabinett.

The Pfalz very bad.

Rhiengau will have a small but good to very good wines. Not much QBA or
Kabinett, but more than the Mosel. Harvest is finished. Again high sugar
levels but good acid.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> Friends making wine in Sauternes and Coteaux du Layon report a
> mediocre year in Sauternes and an OK year in Layon. No wonder,
> it rained most of august in Bordeaux, so despite PR painting a
> rosier picture this is a year badly behind in maturity.

It rained in August not only in Bordeaux, but in the whole of
Europe, more or less.

Over here in Austria things changed to the better. Since the
beginning of September - which makes 56 days today - here in
Vienna we had two days with very light rain and three more that
were overcast. That makes 51 days of brightest sunshine, warmer
than normal temperatures (especially in September), but cool
nights.

Today is Austria's National Holiday, again a bright, sunny and
warmer than normal day (17°C).

I remember frost on exactly this day in 1991, when Franz
Hirtzberger called me to cancel my appointment because everybody
manpower available (including himself) had to rush out to the
vineyards to harvest.

Growers report phantastic ripe fruit, exceptional taste of the
berries, fine acidity levels - I guess this will be a phantastic
year.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:01:23 +0200
Michael Pronay > wrote:

> > Friends making wine in Sauternes and Coteaux du Layon report a
> > mediocre year in Sauternes and an OK year in Layon. No wonder,
> > it rained most of august in Bordeaux, so despite PR painting a
> > rosier picture this is a year badly behind in maturity.

> It rained in August not only in Bordeaux, but in the whole of
> Europe, more or less.

I think that in northern France (I include the Loire) there wasn't
much rain, but no sun either. It was reported that following the
hottest average June and July on record August was the coldest
since before WWII. Not exactly propitious conditions.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote:

> I think that in northern France (I include the Loire) there
> wasn't much rain, but no sun either. It was reported that
> following the hottest average June and July on record

Really? Both hotter than 2003? Can't believe that

> August was the coldest since before WWII.

Also over here.

> Not exactly propitious conditions.

Well, over here the most perfect Indian summer I remember not only
saved the crop, but did some kind of magic.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:49:31 +0200
Michael Pronay > wrote:

> Emery Davis > wrote:
>
> > I think that in northern France (I include the Loire) there
> > wasn't much rain, but no sun either. It was reported that
> > following the hottest average June and July on record

> Really? Both hotter than 2003? Can't believe that

The heat wave lasted almost 7 weeks, much longer than
in 2003. So the average is higher if not the peak. Even
still, it was over 40C in early June here in Normandy!

> > August was the coldest since before WWII.

> Also over here.
>
> > Not exactly propitious conditions.

> Well, over here the most perfect Indian summer I remember not only
> saved the crop, but did some kind of magic.

I certainly don't have that impression here. We did get some warmer
weather in September, but too little too late.

Maybe I should become a mad visionary and plant Chenin in one of
our fields. After all, if they can make wine in England...

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>> The heat wave lasted almost 7 weeks, much longer than
>> in 2003.

> That's Normandy for you.
>
> 2003 was hot throughout the summer in Provence.

And in the rest of Europe.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay wrote:

>> 2003 was hot throughout the summer in Provence.

> And in the rest of Europe.

I still remember the 35°C in late May (!!!) while I was at a vineyard for
the "Cantine Aperte" (open cellars) day.
Unbearable heat for months, the dream of every AC units vendor.
--
Vilco
Think pink, drink rose'