Default looking for new and different green bean recipes

I have cooked green beans for the last 15 years and am completely bored
with recipes. right now I've got about a pound of haricotx verts at
home.

I've done Chinese, Indonesian, Indian, sauteed with musrhrooms,
thanksgiving casserole, etc.

What is the most interesting new green bean recipe you've seen
recently?

thanks,

Don
Serene

> What is the most interesting new green bean recipe you've seen
> recently?

Not sure how new it is, but we like them sauteed in butter with a
liberal amount of Red Hot sauce. So delicious.

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
http://www.jhuger.com
Dee Randall

> What is the most interesting new green bean recipe you've seen
> recently?

I just left the table after eating a plate of the new small baby green
beans. I put them into a boiling pot of water for 3-4 minutes. When I
took them out I put them in bowl that had a teaspooon of extra special
extra-virgin olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of very good balsamic vinegar
and gave them a stir. I put a few red pepper flakes on them -- not
many. (My spouse just put the usual butter, salt & pepper on his.)
Dee
Dee Randall

> What is the most interesting new green bean recipe you've seen
> recently?

I just left the table after eating a plate of the new small baby green
beans. I put them into a boiling pot of water for 3-4 minutes. When I
took them out I put them in bowl that had a teaspooon of extra special
extra-virgin olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon of very good balsamic vinegar
and gave them a stir. I put a few red pepper flakes on them -- not
many. (My spouse just put the usual butter, salt & pepper on his.)
Dee
C. Noble

> What is the most interesting new green bean recipe you've seen
> recently?

Hello,
I cook the green beans then set aside in a bowl and make a cream sauce
to put them into using either soy or lactose-free milk. Simple but good.
C.N.

betsy

Here's my e-file, I particularly like the one with tahini in it
betsy

Chinese Long Beans and Mushroom Stir Fry

1 pound Chinese long beans (or Green Beans or Haricot Verts)
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms (Shiitake or other fresh mushrooms)
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Tbsp honey
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
Peanut (or Olive) Oil (or a combination of butter and olive oil)
Toasted Sesame Oil

Trim and cut beans into two inch pieces. Clean mushrooms, and slice
into halves or quarters. Heat oil in wok or heavy pan over high heat.
When oil is hot, add beans and cook for three or four minutes, then add
mushrooms. Continue cooking until beans are crisp tender. Add soy
sauce, honey, garlic and ginger and cook until sauce thickens slightly
and coats vegetables. Remove from heat, add several dashes of sesame
oil, toss and serve. Makes four side-dish servings.

Source: adapted from a recipe in the October '96 Bon Appetit

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Green Beans with Roasted Onions

Serving Size : 12

Non-stick vegetable spray
6 medium onions -- peeled, cut into 4s
6 tablespoons butter
2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 pounds green beans

Preheat 450F. Spray 2 heavy large baking sheets with vegetable oil
spray. Arrange onions in single layer on prepared sheets. Dot onions
with 4 tablespoons butter, dividing equally. Season with salt and
pepper. Bake until onions are dark brown on bottom, about 35 mins.

Meanwhile, boil broth in heavy large skilet over high heat until
reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 mins. Ad sugar and vinegar and whisk until
sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a boil.

Add onions to sauce; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until liquid is
slightly reduced, about 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be
prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over low heat
before continuing.)

Cook green beans in large pot of boiling salted water until
crisp-tender, about 5 mins. Drain well. Return beans to same pot. Add
remaining 2 tablespoons butter and toss to coat. Mount beans in large,
shallow bowl. Top with onion mixture and serve.

Tracy Karachi

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Greek Green Beans (Sketa Fassoula)

1 pound green beans (thin,tender ones are best)
1 medium yellow onion, chopped finely
Olive Oil
3-4 medium tomatoes (if you're lucky enough - this is even better)
Salt and Pepper

Wash and string the beans, but leave them whole. In a large, deep
skillet, heat about 3-4 T. of olive oil until hot. Add the onion and
saute for about 5 minutes until it is tender, but not brown. Add the
green beans. Cover the skillet (if you don't have a lid use a cookie
sheet--I do!). Cook for about 15 minutes or until the beans start to
wilt. Coarsely chop two of the tomatoes (ONLY TWO). Add to the pan
and cover again. Cook for another 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes
have melted into a sauce. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. If
necessary add another one or two chopped tomatoes and continue cooking.

You may need to add extra olive oil also as it contributes to the
flavor. Cook until the beans are very tender. Trust me, crunchy does
NOT work with this dish. Serve hot, cold, or at room temperature (the
way Greeks do--at least my Greek family does!). If you can find good,
creamy feta, crumble a good chunk into the beans before serving.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Gujerati-style Green Beans

From: Indian Cookery by Madhur Jaffrey ISBN 0 563 16491 1.
450g/1lb green beans
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp whole black mustard seeds
4 finely chopped cloves of garlic
0=2E5 - 4 crushed (hot) dried red chillies (I use 5!!!!!)
0=2E5 tsp salt
0=2E5 tsp sugar
freshly ground black pepper

Wash and trim the beans and cut them into 2.5cm/1" lengths. Blanch the
beans by dropping them into a pot of boiling water and boiling rapidly
for 3-4 min.s or until they are just tender (as above). Drain
immediately in a colander and rinse under cold, running water. Heat
the oil in a large frying pan over a med. heat. When hot, put in the
mustard seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop, put in the
garlic. Stir the garlic pieces around until they turn light brown.
Put in the red chillies and stir for a few sec.s. Put in the green
beans, salt and sugar and mix. Turn down the heat to med-low. Stir
and cook the beans for 7-8 min.s or until they have absorbed the
flavour of the spices. Add black pepper, mix, adjust seasonings and
serve immediately.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
greek style green beans

Saute onion and lots of garlic in a
saucepan for a few minutes in a little olive oil. Add cleaned green
beans and quartered small potatoes and stir to coat well. Add salt
and pepper and some chopped seeded tomatoes. Add a little water.
Simmer at lowest heat, covered, for an hour or so.

Yes, these beans are cooked for a long time, like Southern style.
Of all vegetables, I think the green bean develops *more* flavor when
cooked longer, despite all the "crisp tender" recipes. I like
other vegs cooked for only brief time.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Garlic Green Beans (from Cooking Light Magazine)

4 lbs. fresh green beans
2/3 c. low-sodium chicken broth
2 T. extra-virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Wash green beans; trim ends and remove strings. Drop beans into a
large stockpot of boiling water. Cook 2 minutes or until barely
tender. Drain and plunge into cold water; drain again.

Combine broth and oil in the stockpot, and place over medium heat until
hot. Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Add beans and toss well.
Cook 8 minutes or until liquid evaporates, tossing occasionally.

Remove from heat; sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss well.

Yields 12 (1 c. each) servings.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Herbed Green Beans

1-1/2 pounds green beans, stemmed
1/4 cup Plugr=E1, melted
3 Tbsp. each minced fresh mint and parsley
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Salt and cracked pepper

Cook beans until just tender; drain and keep warm. Stir remaining
ingredients together; pour over beans. Yields 6 servings.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Minted Green Beans

1 lb. stemmed green beans, or frozen whole green beans
1 T Plugr=E1
1 garlic clove, minced
2 T chopped fresh mint

In an electric rice/vegetable steamer, combine beans, Plugr=E1, garlic
and mint. Steam. Serve immediately. This dish can also be prepared in
an electric skillet: Steam beans. Drain. Melt Plugr=E1 and stir in
remaining ingredients. Pour over beans.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Green Beans with Sesame Paste and Garlic
(India)

2 1/2 pounds fresh green beans
1 T plus 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt
6 T veg oil
2 tsp black mustard seeds
8 or 9 med cloves garlic, minced
1-inch cube of fresh ginger, peeled and minced
3 T ground roasted sesame seeds (tahini)
4 T cilantro, chopped
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/16 tsp cayenne
1 T lemon juice

Trim beans and cut into 1-inch pieces. Put about 4 quarts of water in a
5-quart pot. Add 1 T salt and bring to a rolling boil. Put beans in and
boil over high 4 to 5 minutes (until tender but crisp). Empty into a
colander and rinse with cold water. Drain.

Just before serving, heat the oil in a skillet over medium. When very
hot, put in mustard seeds. When they start to pop (few seconds), add
the garlic and stir. When garlic begins to brown slightly, add ginger
and stir once. Add beans, tahini, cilantro, black pepper, cayenne,
lemon juice, and 1/2 to 3/4 tsp salt. Turn to low, and mix well. Serve
when beans are heated through.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Garlicky Green Beans

2 lbs.fresh green beans
1/4 lb. bacon diced
1 small onion chopped
3-4 cloves garlic minced
1/2 green bell pepper chopped
1 can(8oz.) tomato sauce
3/4 tea. Italian seasoning
1/2 tea. Salt
1/4 tea. Pepper

Wash beans and trim and cut into 2-inch pieces. Steam until
crisp-tender, about 7-10 min. Set aside. Meanwhile in a large
saucepan fry bacon until crisp. Remove from pan and set aside. Discard
all but 3 tbl. of bacon drippings. Add onion, garlic
and green pepper and cook over med. heat until soft, about 5min. Add
tomato sauce, seasonings and reserved bacon. Simmer
together for about 10 min. to blend flavors. Add cooked beans and heat
through. Makes 6-8 servings.
This dish goes well with any grilled meat or fish.
*This recipe from " The Complete Garlic Lovers' Cookbook"
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Green Beans Jazz

1 - add liquid smoke to cooking water
2 - pork bullion in water (also)
3 - chopped fresh or dried chillies
4 - Garlic, sauteed in just a bit of peanut oil, and soy sauce
5 - parboil regular string beans--or just use French beans raw--then
prepare some black bean sauce by adding 1T brown sugar, t of roasted
pureed garlic, squirt of sesame oil, and maybe half a minced habanero
or t of chile paste or a dried chili. Heat a T of peanut or Canola oil
in the wok, add minced fresh garlic, saute, then add the black bean
sauce, let it sizzle, then add the beans. Cook five, mixing well, and
you're done.
6 - Lemon juice and pepper is great
7 - Balsamic vinegar
8 - A slurp of olive oil, and toss with whatever seasoning you like. I
use lemon pepper.
9 - Saute some chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned), garlic & chilli in a
very little olive oil until mushy but with no liquid, then stir in the
beans.
10 - Take a couple of tablespoons of butter and melt in a very small
skillet, add garlic powder, paprika, pepper and salt. Mix in about 1/4
c (or enough to alow the butter to just dampen all the crumbs) dried
bread crumbs. Stir in with beans.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Spicy Green Beans (Masaledar Sem)

Serves 6.

1 1/2 lb. fresh green beans
piece of fresh giner about 1 1/2 inches long, peeled and coarsely
chopped
10 cloves garlic, peeled (not a typo, that IS "10" )
1 1/2 cups water
5 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. whole cumin seeds
1 whole, dried hot red chili, lightly crushed in mortar
2 tsp. ground coriander seeds
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
about 1 1/4 tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. lemon juice or to taste
1 tsp. ground roasted cumin seeds
freshly ground black pepper

Trim beans and cut them crosswise at 1/4 inch intervals. put ginger
and garlic into container of electric blender or food processor. Add
1/2 cup of the measured water and blend until fairly smooth.

Heat oil in a wide, heavy saucepan over a medium flame. When hot, put
in cumin seeds. Five seconds later, put in crushed chili. As soon as
it darkenes, pour in ginger-garlic paste. Stir and cook for about a
minute. Put in coriander. Stir a few times. Now put in chopped
tomatoes. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes, mashing up tomato pieces
with back of a slotted spoon as you do so. Put in beans, salt, and
remaining 1 cup water. Bring to a simmer. Cover, turn heat to low and
cook for aboutr 8-10 minutes or until beans are tender. Remove the
cover. Add lemon juice, roasted cumin and a generous amount of freshly
ground pepper. Turn heat up and boil away all of liquid, stirring
beans gently as you do so.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Green Beans with Lemon-Dill Butter

2 pounds fresh green beans
1 1/2 teaspoons salt -- divided
1/3 cup butter
2 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon rind -- grated
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill

Cook green beans and 1 teaspoon salt in boiling water to cover 2 min or
til crisp-tender, drain. Melt butter in large saucepan, add garlic and
saut=E9 30 seconds. Stir in remaining salt, lemon juice, rind. Add
green beans and chopped dill, tossing to coat.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D
Szechuan-Style Green Beans

4 Tablespoons Sesame oil
3/4 pound Green beans, fresh
1 teaspoon Ginger, fresh, peeled and minced
1 teaspoon Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Soy sauce
1 teaspoon Chili-garlic sauce (available in large supermarkets)

Heat the sesame oil in a heavy skillet or wok. Add the beans and
stir-fry until almost tender. Add the ginger and garlic. Cook for
three minutes longer. Add the soy and chili sauce. Bring to a boil and
cook for 30 seconds. Serve warm.
Carrie Melle

Pretty simple but I really and have to say my all time favorite way to prep
green beans is with a little simple tomato gravy..good old Italian gravy.

> wrote in message
oups.com...

> What is the most interesting new green bean recipe you've seen
> recently?

Monsur Fromage du Pollet

wrote on 20 Apr 2005 in rec.food.veg.cooking

> I have cooked green beans for the last 15 years and am completely
> bored with recipes. right now I've got about a pound of haricotx
> verts at home.
>
> I've done Chinese, Indonesian, Indian, sauteed with musrhrooms,
> thanksgiving casserole, etc.
>
> What is the most interesting new green bean recipe you've seen
> recently?
>
> thanks,
>
> Don

Try a almondine style recipe (I could eat that style forever) or one
of these two.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Green Bean Soup

hot soups

1 stalk celery
1/4 onion; 1/4" dice
3 tablespoons butter
1 can French-style green beans; with juice
1 cup water
2 chicken bouillon cubes
1 pint heavy cream
salt and pepper; to taste

Saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Add green bean juice,
water, and bouillon cubes and heat to a boil stiring to disolve the
bouillon cubes. Add the green beans and then reduce the heat. Stir in
heavy
cream until its heated through and season to taste...Makes 6 servings
depending on appetite of course...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 335 Calories; 35g Fat (92.5%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 4g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber;
124mg
Cholesterol; 343mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat;
1/2
Vegetable; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 7 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Contributor: Hag

Yield: 6 servings

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Green Beans With Hazelnuts And Lemon

vegetables

1 1/2 pounds green beans; trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest; freshly grated
1/3 cup hazelnuts, dry-roasted; chopped fine

In a kettle of boiling salted water cook beans until just tender, 3 to
8
minutes. Drain beans in a colander and in a large bowl toss while still
hot
with oil, zest, nuts, and salt and pepper to taste. Beans may be made 1
day ahead and chilled, covered. Reheat beans, preferably in a
microwave.

3 carbs per serving (6 - 3)

Cuisine:
"Low Carb"
Source:
"http://www.epicurious.com/"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 86 Calories; 7g Fat (63.7%
calories
from fat); 2g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 0mg
Cholesterol;
5mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 1 Vegetable; 0
Fruit;
1 1/2 Fat.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0

Contributor: Gourmet, November 1995

Yield: 8 servings

Preparation Time: 0:45

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Viviane

Hi Don,

This isn't really a recipe but something adapted from a can of seasoned
green beans I bought once. After boiling them a bit, cut them in
juliennes and fry them with chopped onions, garlic, thin strips of red
pepper, and your choice of spices.

Viviane