Steve

Default Cleaning copper bottomed pots

Hi;

I have really nice set of stainless steel pots and pans with copper ( or
copper coated ) bottoms that have become discolored from use on a gas stove.

Is there a special cleaner I can get to make the copper bottoms look
shiny and undiscolored again?

Steve
http://www.geocities.com/beforewisdom/

Be a healthy Vegan or Vegetarian
http://geocities.com/beforewisdom/Veg/healthyVeg.html

"The great American thought trap: It is not real unless it can be seen
on television or bought in a shopping mall"
axlq

In article >,
Steve > wrote:
>I have really nice set of stainless steel pots and pans with copper ( or
>copper coated ) bottoms that have become discolored from use on a gas stove.
>
>Is there a special cleaner I can get to make the copper bottoms look
>shiny and undiscolored again?

A fine steel wool does the trick. You may want to finish up with
a polishing and then a metal protector, although I'm not sure how
those metal protector chemicals stand up to heat.

Generally though, I believe you should leave the bottoms alone.
Continued attention to making them look like copper just wears out
the copper, eventually. It's best to have a layer of something
else (oxide, carbon, other grime) protecting the copper. The color
shouldn't be that shiny golden copper color, but rather the color of
an old penny.

Don't leave copper bottom pots in a wet sink. The resulting
oxidation (copper "rust" is turquoise in color) will eat up the
copper faster than anything else.

-A
John Manning

In article >, Steve
> wrote:

> Is there a special cleaner I can get to make the copper bottoms look=20
> shiny and undiscolored again?

Yes. It's a powdered cleaner, made by Revere, I think. You can also use
lemon juice and salt.

--=20
-John
http://electronworks.com/recipes/
John Manning

In article >, Steve
> wrote:

> Is there a special cleaner I can get to make the copper bottoms look=20
> shiny and undiscolored again?

Yes. It's a powdered cleaner, made by Revere, I think. You can also use
lemon juice and salt.

--=20
-John
http://electronworks.com/recipes/
Chef R. W. Miller

(Mod snip and reposition)
"Steve" wrote in message ...
> Is there a special cleaner I can get to make the copper bottoms look
> shiny and undiscolored again?

Clean copper pots and pans by making a paste of vinegar, salt & flour. Use
the paste as you would any metal cleaner. Rinse with clean water and buff
to a shine with a soft cloth.
Chef R. W. Miller

Chef R. W. Miller

(Mod snip and reposition)
"Steve" wrote in message ...
> Is there a special cleaner I can get to make the copper bottoms look
> shiny and undiscolored again?

Clean copper pots and pans by making a paste of vinegar, salt & flour. Use
the paste as you would any metal cleaner. Rinse with clean water and buff
to a shine with a soft cloth.
Chef R. W. Miller
LLama

BarKeepersFriend has worked the easiest and quickest for me - I love
the stuff and use it everywhere. I get mine at WalMart, it's with the
other cleansers. You can also find it online.
www.BarKeepersFriend.com

~~Alexia
Hunibal

Vinegar + salt works well for me.

--

Cheers _ Hunibal _

"Steve" > wrote in message
> I have really nice set of stainless steel pots and pans with copper ( or
> copper coated ) bottoms that have become discolored from use on a gas
> stove.
>
> Is there a special cleaner I can get to make the copper bottoms look shiny
> and undiscolored again?

[moderator trimmed quoting - gedge]

ketchup

Value of 5-Ply Pans and Pots and Copper Vs Aluminum Core W General Cooking 11 14-02-2017 10:11 PM
Cleaning Copper jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 38 19-07-2012 03:21 AM
Cleaning copper Nexis General Cooking 23 01-10-2008 10:06 PM
HELP - how to clean copper pots and pans? Chen Yu General Cooking 3 27-04-2004 05:26 PM
HELP - how to clean copper pots and pans? [email protected] General Cooking 4 25-04-2004 09:47 PM