Paul Ciszek

Default Need advice on marinating Tofu and Tempeh

I was hoping someone could give me some advice about marinating
tofu and tempeh. It seems that tofu sucks up soy sauce pretty
quickly, wheras tempeh does not. What should a good marinade
for these substances include? I would prefer to avoid ingredients
like sugar that will burn onto the frying pan too badly.

--
Please reply to: | "If more of us valued food and cheer and
pciszek at panix dot org | song above hoarded gold, it would be a
Kate L Pugh

Paul Ciszek > wrote:
> I was hoping someone could give me some advice about marinating
> tofu and tempeh. It seems that tofu sucks up soy sauce pretty
> quickly, wheras tempeh does not. What should a good marinade
> for these substances include?

Tempeh is very good done in a mixture of soy sauce and red wine.
Tofu is nice in fresh lemon juice, squeezy garlic from a tube, and soy sauce.

I've always found that tempeh sucks up marinade faster than tofu,
though, unless the tofu is pre-fried. What kind of tofu are you
using? Raw tofu has always been fairly impermeable for me; I get much
better results by either marinading it after some precooking or baking
it in its marinade and basting often.

Or did you get your tofu and tempeh the wrong way round?

Kake