Steve

Default Low sodium vegan sauces

Hi;

Anybody have favorite recipies for low sodium vegan sauces.

I'm particularly interested in ginger and/or peanut
sauces......hopefully quick to make

Thanks

Steve
Kate Pugh

Steve > wrote:
> Anybody have favorite recipies for low sodium vegan sauces.
>
> I'm particularly interested in ginger and/or peanut
> sauces......hopefully quick to make

Hm, my ginger and peanut sauces generally have soy sauce as a major
flavour component, which is no use for you. Fresh lemon or lime juice
might be a good ingredient in a peanut sauce, give it a bit of a zing
and you won't miss the salt.

What kind of sauces are you after? Salad dressings, pasta sauces,
something else? Here's a pasta sauce based on broccoli:

Broccoli Sauce
--------------
A tested recipe from
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...oli-sauce.html
I found the original version of this recipe at the Fatfree Archives
(http://www.rahul.net/cgi-bin/fatfree/recipes.cgi). I've not changed
the basic idea; just added the quantities that I prefer, and added a
few optional extras. This is very good on pasta. Serves 2-4.

* 1 head broccoli, cooked, including peeled stems
* 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
* about 15g (1/2 oz) fresh basil
* 1/2 - 1 tsp garlic puree or pressed garlic
* Optional - a few Tbsp hummous

Put it all in the blender and whizz to a rough puree. This makes a
fairly stiff mixture; dilute with water to make a thinner consistency.

Kake
Steve

Kate Pugh wrote:
> Steve > wrote:
>
>>Anybody have favorite recipies for low sodium vegan sauces.
>>
>>I'm particularly interested in ginger and/or peanut
>>sauces......hopefully quick to make

> Hm, my ginger and peanut sauces generally have soy sauce as a major
> flavour component, which is no use for you. Fresh lemon or lime juice
> might be a good ingredient in a peanut sauce, give it a bit of a zing
> and you won't miss the salt.
>
> What kind of sauces are you after? Salad dressings, pasta sauces,
> something else?

Something to put on legumes and grains.

I noticed the sauces I buy have tremendous amounts of sodium in them. I
tried some low sodium sauces but they are all way too sweet for my tastes.

I guess I want something quick/easy above all else, fat based like a
peanut sauce, but spicey.

Steve

--
2 Bush Administrations
2 Recessions
Louise Bremner

Steve
<ADDRESS_MUNGED_TO_PREVENT_SPAM_PLEASE_REPLY_TO_GR OUPstevesusenet@yahwho
..com> wrote:

> > What kind of sauces are you after? Salad dressings, pasta sauces,
> > something else?

> Something to put on legumes and grains.
>
> I noticed the sauces I buy have tremendous amounts of sodium in them.

I can't say I've ever noticed any sauces with naked sodium in them, but
yes I agree it'd be wise to avoid them, especially at the point they're
first exposed to the atmosphere.

> I guess I want something quick/easy above all else, fat based like a
> peanut sauce, but spicey.

I make this a lot, for serving over stuffed vegetables and rice-based
dishes (from any colour of bell-pepper--the results are nicely gaudy,
whatever the colour):

Pepper Sauce (from The Classic Vegetarian Cookbook, by Rose Elliot)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
1 large pepper, cored and seeded
300 ml (1/2 pint) homemade vegetable stock or water
1 clove garlic, peeled, or a sprig of thyme (optional)
15 - 30 g (1/2 - 1 oz) butter or 15 - 30 ml (1 - 2 tbsps) olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
pinch of cayenne pepper or chilli powder (optional)

1. Cut the pepper into even-sized chunks and place in a saucepan with
the stock or water and the garlic or thyme, if using. Bring to the boil,
reduce heat, cover and simmer until the pepper is tender: about 10
minutes. Remove the garlic or thyme, if using. [I leave the garlic
in--don't see the point of removing it.]

2. Pour the pepper and stock or water into a food processor or blender,
and purée.

3. Add the butter or oil and blend again.

4. Pass the sauce through a sieve back into the pan (to serve warm) or
into a bowl (to serve chilled) and season with salt, black pepper [I'd
prefer to grind fresh pepper over my serving, not destroy the freshness
by reheating] and, if you like, cayenne pepper or chilli powder.

5. Reheat gently and serve warm, or serve chilled from the refrigerator.

Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!
anon

Steve > wrote:
> Hi;

> Anybody have favorite recipies for low sodium vegan sauces.

> I'm particularly interested in ginger and/or peanut
> sauces......hopefully quick to make

> Thanks

> Steve

There's Chinese brown sauce, which is basically flour and water with
seasoning of your choice (hoisin/oyster/soy/curry)...very easy and
flexible (note: stir in the flour BEFORE heating, in order to avoid lumps)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:28:31 GMT, anon > took a very
strange color crayon and scribbled:

>(note: stir in the flour BEFORE heating, in order to avoid lumps)

If you stir a bit of oil into the flour to make a stiff paste, you can
more easily prevent the problem of lumps. The flour/oil mix is called
"roux" (pronounced "roo") and has an entire history behind it that is
beyond my amateur cooking capabilities to explain. You can whisk it
quickly into hot water, as long as it's not so hot that the flour is
cooked immediately.

--
Therese Shellabarger / The Roving Reporter - Civis Mundi
/ http://tlshell.cnc.net/
Kate L Pugh

Steve > wrote:
>>> Anybody have favorite recipies for low sodium vegan sauces.

[...]
> Something to put on legumes and grains.

This one is nice with roasted vegetables and couscous. Mix tahini
(sesame butter) with squeezy garlic from a tube and fresh lemon juice.
Add a bit of water if it's too stiff.

Kake