Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Foresters Pie - BBC Vegetarian Good Food Magazine Nov 97

Hello,

I used to have a fabulous recipe for Foresters Pie in the November
1997 issue of BBC Vegetarian Good Food magazine. Unfortunately I
never got it back after lending it to someone, and I'm dying to make
this pie again! Does anyone have this recipe?

Thanks in anticipation
cam
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

wrote:
> I used to have a fabulous recipe for Foresters Pie in the November
> 1997 issue of BBC Vegetarian Good Food magazine. Unfortunately I
> never got it back after lending it to someone, and I'm dying to make
> this pie again! Does anyone have this recipe?

Here you go. Any typos are my fault!

Kake

Forester's Pie
BBC Vegetarian Good Food magazine, November 1997

Preparation: 30 minutes
Cooking: 30-35 minutes
Serves 6

50g (1 3/4oz) butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
125g (4 1/2oz) shiitake mushrooms
500g (1lb 2oz) closed-cup mushrooms, quartered
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 Tbsp plain flour
150ml (1/4 pint) red wine
300ml (1/2 pint) vegetable stock
1 Tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 bay leaves
75g (2 3/4oz) pickled walnuts, drained and thickly sliced
500g (1lb 2oz) puff pastry, thawed if frozen
beaten egg, to glaze
seasoning

1. Heat the butter and oil in a large pan or wok. Add the onion and fry for 5
minutes until pale golden. Add the mushrooms and garlic and fry over a high
heat for a further 3-4 minutes until browned.

2. Stir in the flour, then add the wine, stock, tomato puree, cinnamon, bay
leaves, pickled walnuts and seasoning. Bring to the boil and cook, stirring,
until the sauce has thickened. Spoon into a 1 litre (1 3/4 pint) shallow pie
dish. If the mixture is too liquid, drain off a little and reserve. Cool
slightly.

3. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Roll out the pastry on a floured
surface until just larger than the pie top. Brush the edge of the dish with a
little of the beaten egg. Cut narrow strips of pastry and press on to the
dish edge. Place the remaining pastry over the dish, press edges together and
trim. Knock up and flute the edges using a knife.

4. Roll out pastry trimmings and cut into leaf shapes. Brush with a little
more of the egg and place on the pie. Chill until ready to cook.

5. Put the pie on a baking sheet, brush pastry with the remaining egg and cook
for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden - cover with foil after 20
minutes if pastry is too brown. Reheat any remaining sauce. Serve the pie
with Bashed Neeps and Tatties and vegetables.