Default Becoming Vegan

Having been a vegetarian for the last 25yrs I am giving serious thought
to becoming a vegan.
I would be glad of any advice on this. Could anyone reccommend some
good recipie books?

Catherine

Scented Nectar

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Having been a vegetarian for the last 25yrs I am giving serious thought
> to becoming a vegan.
> I would be glad of any advice on this. Could anyone reccommend some
> good recipie books?
>
> Catherine

I have a directory of over 700 free
veg recipe sites. Many are vegan.
Hope this helps.

http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

SN

Plug

I like Rose Elliot's book on vegan cooking. Mollie Katzen of Moosewood fame
is also a favourite of mine. Bryanna Clark Grogan is another good writer -
she has a homely style and her books are not just a collection of recipes.

Deb
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Having been a vegetarian for the last 25yrs I am giving serious thought
> to becoming a vegan.
> I would be glad of any advice on this. Could anyone reccommend some
> good recipie books?
>
> Catherine

nemo

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Having been a vegetarian for the last 25yrs I am giving serious thought
> to becoming a vegan.
> I would be glad of any advice on this. Could anyone reccommend some
> good recipie books?
>
> Catherine

The best thing to do is contact http://www.vegansociety.com/html/

or your local equivalent if you're not in the UK. They publish recipe books,
give advice, hold events etc.

Nemo

nemo

Don't forget Eva Batt's classic - "What's Cooking." published by The Vegan
Society.

And no jokes about it being cruel to eva batt over a cliff!! I cracked that
one at a Vegan Society event oncer not knowing she was standing right behind
me!

South Indian food is mostly Vegan so any good S Indian cookbooks will be
useful. use a light oil like sunflower or olive instead of ghee and watch
out for the very few dairy ingredients used.

I use "Indian Vegetarian Cookery" by Jack Santa Maria, Rider and Co. London,
ISBN 0-09-118391-9, and "The Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking - Lord
Krishna's Cuisine" by Yamuna Devi, Century Hutchinson Ltd., ISBN
0-7126-3783-4.

"New Food for All Palettes" by Sally and Lucian Berg, Victor Gollancz Ltd.,
ref - 575 00072 4 (my copy is so old it's not called an ISBN number) is also
useful. It features food from all around the world. A lot of it is not Vegan
but can easily be adapted.

Can't find this one on Google so it might be out of print. Worth looking out
for a second hand copy though.

Nemo

"Plug" > wrote in message
> I like Rose Elliot's book on vegan cooking. Mollie Katzen of Moosewood

fame
> is also a favourite of mine. Bryanna Clark Grogan is another good

writer -
> she has a homely style and her books are not just a collection of recipes.
>
> Deb
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Having been a vegetarian for the last 25yrs I am giving serious thought
> > to becoming a vegan.
> > I would be glad of any advice on this. Could anyone reccommend some
> > good recipie books?
> >
> > Catherine

Joe

I'm not sure how much of what we're recommending you already know
since you've been munching veggies for quite a while. I myself have
recently stopped eating eggs and almost done with milk. A couple of
things perhaps you might want to research into and ask here are
1) Trace amounts animal by-products food manufacturers mix in food
produce and
2) Keep in mind the most healthy ratio/balance of your intake
regarding Omega 3s and Omega 6s. The healthiest balance is 1:2 or 1:3,
Omega 3 to Omega 6 respectively- a good amount Omega 3 are needed to
counterbalance Omega 6 as in Omega 6 can be 'too much of a good
thing'[actually promoting inflammation and related diseases]. The
typical U.S. diet is roughly 1:17 ! You likely know your best sources
for Omega 3 already [ALA -alpha linoleic acid type of Omega 3 [and
from that EPA type] found in veggies and nuts], but watch for Omega 6
[still very beneficial to ones health in correct proportions] which
since you are vegetarian you may only want to look at the vegetable
oils you use, and cutback on whole-GRAIN breads/cereals-processed
foods... google up on monounsaturated fats and polyunstaurated fats.
While Macadamia nut oil and extra virgin olive oil are your best
sources of mono-unsaturated fats, flaxseed oil isn't, but it is very
high in Omega 3 rich polyunsaturated fat as is [high oleic] sunflower
and safflower oil and these 3 oils are extremely low in saturated
fats. However the sunflower and safflower oils are high in Omega 6s.
Gets perplexing a bit doesn't it?
http://www.annecollins.com/dietary-fat/omega-6-fats.htm
http://www.annecollins.com/dietary-f...fa-6-chart.htm
http://www.50plus.org/Libraryitems/3...o_03_Omega.htm
http://www.youngagain.com/noname62.html
Getting deeper into it;
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/ConsSupple...tyAcidscs.html
So while this info may not be vegan related directly, it's something
to consider in your recipe research.

On 28 Sep 2005 00:20:39 -0700, wrote:

>Having been a vegetarian for the last 25yrs I am giving serious thought
>to becoming a vegan.
>I would be glad of any advice on this. Could anyone reccommend some
>good recipie books?
>
>Catherine

Beach Runner

I thought I should add

Dr. Gregor's web page.

http://www.drgreger.org/

He's a highly qualified medical doctor, reviews literature, does
published research and writes newsletters.

Joe

Nice link indeed, thanks....

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 12:34:09 GMT, Beach Runner > wrote:

>I thought I should add
>
>Dr. Gregor's web page.
>
>http://www.drgreger.org/
>

>He's a highly qualified medical doctor, reviews literature, does
>published research and writes newsletters.

captain ahab

Scented Nectar wrote:
> I have a directory of over 700 free
> veg recipe sites.

You also have a smelly hole. People aren't exactly lining up to see
that, either.
Scented Nectar

"private ahab" > wrote in message
> Scented Nectar wrote:
> > I have a directory of over 700 free
> > veg recipe sites.

> You also have a smelly hole. People aren't exactly lining up to see
> that, either.

I smell like roses. You can trust
that you won't get an invitation to
verify that. My line up will always
be greater than yours. I've seen
your picture LOL.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

usual suspect

Skanky wrote:
>>>I have a directory of over 700 free
>>>veg recipe sites.

>>You also have a smelly hole. People aren't exactly lining up to see
>>that, either.

> I smell like roses.

You smell like a trawler-load of distempered tuna.

[Kudos to JB for that line.]

> You can trust that you won't get an invitation to
> verify that.

Promise?

> My line up will always
> be greater than yours.

Only because my girlfriend absolutely forbids me from having a "line
up," as you put it.

> I've seen your picture LOL.

Liar.
Scented Nectar

"usual suspect" > wrote in message

> >>You also have a smelly hole. People aren't exactly lining up to see
> >>that, either.

> > I smell like roses.

> You smell like a trawler-load of distempered tuna.

I smell like roses.

> [Kudos to JB for that line.]
>
> > You can trust that you won't get an invitation to
> > verify that.

> Promise?

Guaranteed.

> > My line up will always
> > be greater than yours.

> Only because my girlfriend absolutely forbids me from having a "line
> up," as you put it.

Oh yeah, that girlfriend of 4 years
that you were caught lying about.

> > I've seen your picture LOL.

> Liar.

No lie, just a mistake. You're easily
mistaken for Gooby when you hide
under different names.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

usual suspect

Skanky wrote:

>>>I smell like roses.

>>You smell like a trawler-load of distempered tuna.

> I smell like roses.

Roses don't smell like that even when they decompose.

>>>My line up will always
>>>be greater than yours.

>>Only because my girlfriend absolutely forbids me from having a "line
>>up," as you put it.

> Oh yeah, that girlfriend of 4 years
> that you were caught lying about.

No lying involved. Dreck assumes one cannot flirt or fool around if one
is in a relationship, but he of ALL people should know better since he's
a cuckold. Being married didn't stop his wife from shagging his own twin
brother. What I wrote to Jenae was very tame in comparison to what's
gone on in his dysfunctional family.

>>>I've seen your picture LOL.

>>Liar.

> No lie

You lied, liar.

Scented Nectar

"useless cesspool" > wrote in message

> Roses don't smell like that even when they decompose.

Eat me.

> >>Only because my girlfriend absolutely forbids me from having a "line
> >>up," as you put it.

> > Oh yeah, that girlfriend of 4 years
> > that you were caught lying about.

> No lying involved. Dreck assumes one cannot flirt or fool around if one
> is in a relationship, but he of ALL people should know better since he's
> a cuckold. Being married didn't stop his wife from shagging his own twin
> brother. What I wrote to Jenae was very tame in comparison to what's
> gone on in his dysfunctional family.

Liar, you were caught.

> >>Liar.

> > No lie

> You lied, liar.

Nope. You sounded just like gooby
while hiding under your new pseudonym.
An honest mistake is not a lie.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

usual suspect

Skanky wrote:
>>Roses don't smell like that even when they decompose.

> Eat me.

No way, you filthy skag.

>>>Oh yeah, that girlfriend of 4 years
>>>that you were caught lying about.

>>No lying involved. Dreck assumes one cannot flirt or fool around if one
>>is in a relationship, but he of ALL people should know better since he's
>>a cuckold. Being married didn't stop his wife from shagging his own twin
>>brother. What I wrote to Jenae was very tame in comparison to what's
>>gone on in his dysfunctional family.

> Liar,

No, you and Dreck are the shit-stirring liars.

>>>No lie

>>You lied, liar.

> Nope.

You lied, liar.
Scented Nectar

"useless subject" > wrote in message
> Skanky wrote:
> >>Roses don't smell like that even when they decompose.

> > Eat me.

> No way, you filthy skag.

Eat me.

> >>No lying involved. Dreck assumes one cannot flirt or fool around if one
> >>is in a relationship, but he of ALL people should know better since he's
> >>a cuckold. Being married didn't stop his wife from shagging his own twin
> >>brother. What I wrote to Jenae was very tame in comparison to what's
> >>gone on in his dysfunctional family.

> > Liar,

> No, you and Dreck are the shit-stirring liars.

Nope. You were caught.

> >>You lied, liar.

> > Nope.

> You lied, liar.

A fair mistake is not a lie. Quit
snipping the details.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

usual suspect

Skanky wrote:

>>>Eat me.

>>No way, you filthy skag.

> Eat me.

No way, you filthy skag.

>>>Liar,

>>No, you and Dreck are the shit-stirring liars.

> Nope.

Yep.

>>>Nope.

>>You lied, liar.

> A fair mistake

No, you congenital liar.
Scented Nectar

You snipped up all the sentences that
you were replying to, moron. Try again
if you want any real conversation.

--
SN
http://www.scentednectar.com/veg/

> >>No way, you filthy skag.

> > Eat me.

> No way, you filthy skag.

one

he's

twin

> >>No, you and Dreck are the shit-stirring liars.

> > Nope.

> Yep.

> >>You lied, liar.

> > A fair mistake

> No, you congenital liar.

Posted to alt.food.vegan
usual suspect

Scented Nectar wrote:
> You snipped

I only snip the irrelevant portions of your trite posts. Don't blame me
that you post so little that's relevant.
Posted to alt.food.vegan
Scented Nectar

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Scented Nectar wrote:
> > You snipped

> I only snip the irrelevant portions of your trite posts. Don't blame me
> that you post so little that's relevant.

Well, you don't want a real
conversation, and you're
annoyingly whiny.

--