Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:40:34 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>>That may be so if argued correctly

>>It is so, and I have argued it correctly. Rupert is
>>lying. He isn't attempting to minimize, as I have
>>proved. He is trying to "win" an invalid counting game.

> He wins

He loses, as do you. The counting game is INVALID, so
it doesn't matter who "wins" it.

**** off now.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:33:50 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>>Snipping and running already,

>>No running.

> You certainly are

not. No running.

The counting game is INVALID as a basis for claiming
virtue, so it is irrelevant who "wins" it.

**** off now.
Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:35:52 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>The counting game is INVALID as a basis for claiming
>>>virtue.

>> Says he whose lifestyle and tastes for meat causes
>> the largest tally, but we're missing the point here.
>> Rupert says he's trying to minimize his contribution
>> to collateral deaths found in farming by abstaining
>> from farmed meat

>He's trying to win a counting game, and claim virtue
>*relative to meat eaters*.

A game that you set out and always lose. And
YOU call ME stupid?

>He's not trying to minimize at all.

He says he is, and you have no rational reason
to reject that claim.

>He's lying when he says he is.

He's clearly telling the truth, and by your own
admission he's achieving exactly what he's
setting out to do.

>He is only trying to "beat" meat eaters at a
>counting game.

Then maybe you *ought* to set your own side
(meat eaters) straight on this issue once and
for all, nebbish, because any carpenter at the
keyboard/vegan can punish them while playing
THEIR counting game. Don't forget that your
major premise is that vegans are initially
ignorant of the facts concerning collateral
deaths, so you've only yourselves to blame
when you introduce them, only to ****ing
start counting them. You're all ****ing idiots
without a ****ing clue, and you're making it
worse for them by staying silent.
Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:57:24 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>The counting game is INVALID as a basis for claiming
>>>virtue.

>> That may be so if argued correctly

>It is so

Then let's get on with the issue being raised here,
namely, that Rupert's diet accrues less harm than
a meat-centred diet. You've asserted that it doesn't
in this thread, but your earlier quotes clearly assert
that it does;

<unsnip>
"If you insist on playing a stupid counting game, you'll
lose. "vegans" and a few sensible meat eaters alike
have pointed out that the overwhelming majority of
grain is grown to feed livestock. That means if you
eat meat that you bought at a store, you cause more
deaths: the deaths of the animals you eat, plus the
CDs of the animals killed in the course of producing
feed for the animals you eat.

The counting game is doubly stupid to be offered by
meat eaters: the moral issue isn't about counting, and
the meat eater will always lose the game, unless he
hunts or raises and slaughters his own meat."
Jonathan Ball 22 May 2003 http://tinyurl.com/664t2

Not only have you given vegans a valid reason to
continue abstaining from meat on the basis that less
collateral deaths will occur, you've also given them
valid environmental and economic grounds to abstain
from it as well.

"What I mean is that in terms of the resources
expended for the amount of nutrition yielded, the
U.S. could easily substitute sufficient vegetable
products to come up with the "missing" protein and
calories if we suddenly stopped raising livestock.

Meat is expensive relative to vegetable produce. All
of the major meats consumed in the American diet -
beef, pork and poultry; lamb barely registers - are fed
cultivated agriculture products as animal feed, and the
resources that produce that animal feed could instead
produce vegetable food for direct human consumption.

There is a loss of energy in feeding livestock feed to
animals. It takes anywhere from 6 to 8 pounds of feed
to yield one additional *gross* pound of beef, for
example; the feed conversion ratio for broiler chickens
is a little under 2. Note that these ratios are gross; they
do not take into account that some of the weight gain
in the animal is not edible to humans. If you adjust for
that, the ratios are higher.

If Americans suddenly stopped eating meat entirely, and
all the animals were gone, no land or other productive
resources would be devoted to producing feed and other
materials for animals. It would take only a fraction of
those resources to produce the "missing" protein and
calories."
Jonathan Ball as Rudy Canoza 31 Mar 2005
http://tinyurl.com/5xs3b

> **** off now.

Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:59:48 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>No running.

>> You certainly are

>not. No running.

Sprinting for the door, more like.

>The counting game is INVALID as a basis for claiming
>virtue

Then let's get on with the issue being raised here,
namely, that Rupert's diet accrues less harm than
a meat-centred diet. You've asserted that it doesn't
in this thread, but your earlier quotes clearly assert
that it does;

<unsnip>
"If you insist on playing a stupid counting game, you'll
lose. "vegans" and a few sensible meat eaters alike
have pointed out that the overwhelming majority of
grain is grown to feed livestock. That means if you
eat meat that you bought at a store, you cause more
deaths: the deaths of the animals you eat, plus the
CDs of the animals killed in the course of producing
feed for the animals you eat.

The counting game is doubly stupid to be offered by
meat eaters: the moral issue isn't about counting, and
the meat eater will always lose the game, unless he
hunts or raises and slaughters his own meat."
Jonathan Ball 22 May 2003 http://tinyurl.com/664t2

Not only have you given vegans a valid reason to
continue abstaining from meat on the basis that less
collateral deaths will occur, you've also given them
valid environmental and economic grounds to abstain
from it as well.

"What I mean is that in terms of the resources
expended for the amount of nutrition yielded, the
U.S. could easily substitute sufficient vegetable
products to come up with the "missing" protein and
calories if we suddenly stopped raising livestock.

Meat is expensive relative to vegetable produce. All
of the major meats consumed in the American diet -
beef, pork and poultry; lamb barely registers - are fed
cultivated agriculture products as animal feed, and the
resources that produce that animal feed could instead
produce vegetable food for direct human consumption.

There is a loss of energy in feeding livestock feed to
animals. It takes anywhere from 6 to 8 pounds of feed
to yield one additional *gross* pound of beef, for
example; the feed conversion ratio for broiler chickens
is a little under 2. Note that these ratios are gross; they
do not take into account that some of the weight gain
in the animal is not edible to humans. If you adjust for
that, the ratios are higher.

If Americans suddenly stopped eating meat entirely, and
all the animals were gone, no land or other productive
resources would be devoted to producing feed and other
materials for animals. It would take only a fraction of
those resources to produce the "missing" protein and
calories."
Jonathan Ball as Rudy Canoza 31 Mar 2005
http://tinyurl.com/5xs3b

>**** off now.

I'm not ready yet. Dinner is two hours away, and it's
just too hot to sit around in the garden today.

Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:58:45 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>It is so, and I have argued it correctly. Rupert is
>>>lying. He isn't attempting to minimize, as I have
>>>proved. He is trying to "win" an invalid counting game.

>> He wins

>He loses

By your own hand, he wins.

[...]

You lose, Jon, while all vegans win.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:35:52 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>>Says he whose lifestyle and tastes for meat causes
>>>the largest tally, but we're missing the point here.
>>>Rupert says he's trying to minimize his contribution
>>>to collateral deaths found in farming by abstaining
>>>from farmed meat

>>He's trying to win a counting game, and claim virtue
>>*relative to meat eaters*.

> A game that you set out

No, a game that I reject and show is irrelevant to the
proper issues.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:57:24 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>>That may be so if argued correctly

>>It is so

> Then let's get

No "let's". YOU get the **** out. You've lost.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:59:48 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>>You certainly are

>>not. No running. The counting game is INVALID as a basis for claiming
>>virtue

> Then let's get

No "let's". YOU get the **** out. You lost.

**** off now.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:58:45 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>>He wins

>>He loses

> By your own hand

He loses by anyone's hand. The counting game is
irrelevant, and INVALID to establish virtue.

**** off now.

Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:32:20 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>He's trying to win a counting game, and claim virtue
>>>*relative to meat eaters*.

>> A game that you set out

>No

<unsnip>
A game that you set out and always lose. And
YOU call ME stupid?

>He's not trying to minimize at all.

He says he is, and you have no rational reason
to reject that claim.

>He's lying when he says he is.

He's clearly telling the truth, and by your own
admission he's achieving exactly what he's
setting out to do.

>He is only trying to "beat" meat eaters at a
>counting game.

Then maybe you *ought* to set your own side
(meat eaters) straight on this issue once and
for all, nebbish, because any carpenter at the
keyboard/vegan can punish them while playing
THEIR counting game. Don't forget that your
major premise is that vegans are initially
ignorant of the facts concerning collateral
deaths, so you've only yourselves to blame
when you introduce them, only to ****ing
start counting them. You're all ****ing idiots
without a ****ing clue, and you're making it
worse for them by staying silent.
<endsnip>

Couldn't face the task in commenting on that,
could you, nebbish?
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:32:20 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>>A game that you set out

>>No

No. The counting game is irrelevant, and INVALID as a
basis for declaring virtue.

Give it up, Dreck. Then **** off.
Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:33:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>It is so

>> Then let's get

>No "let's". YOU get the **** out.

I'm sure you'd prefer that I did so you can then
continue lying to people who aren't aware of
your past thoughts on this issue, but I'm here,
so deal with it and start explaining why you've
lied, Jon.

> You've lost.

Rather, you have, because by your own admission
[...]

Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:35:58 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>He loses

By your own hand, he wins.

<unsnip>
"If you insist on playing a stupid counting game, you'll
lose. "vegans" and a few sensible meat eaters alike
have pointed out that the overwhelming majority of
grain is grown to feed livestock. That means if you
eat meat that you bought at a store, you cause more
deaths: the deaths of the animals you eat, plus the
CDs of the animals killed in the course of producing
feed for the animals you eat.

The counting game is doubly stupid to be offered by
meat eaters: the moral issue isn't about counting, and
the meat eater will always lose the game, unless he
hunts or raises and slaughters his own meat."
Jonathan Ball 22 May 2003 http://tinyurl.com/664t2

Not only have you given vegans a valid reason to
continue abstaining from meat on the basis that less
collateral deaths will occur, you've also given them
valid environmental and economic grounds to abstain
from it as well.

"What I mean is that in terms of the resources
expended for the amount of nutrition yielded, the
U.S. could easily substitute sufficient vegetable
products to come up with the "missing" protein and
calories if we suddenly stopped raising livestock.

Meat is expensive relative to vegetable produce. All
of the major meats consumed in the American diet -
beef, pork and poultry; lamb barely registers - are fed
cultivated agriculture products as animal feed, and the
resources that produce that animal feed could instead
produce vegetable food for direct human consumption.

There is a loss of energy in feeding livestock feed to
animals. It takes anywhere from 6 to 8 pounds of feed
to yield one additional *gross* pound of beef, for
example; the feed conversion ratio for broiler chickens
is a little under 2. Note that these ratios are gross; they
do not take into account that some of the weight gain
in the animal is not edible to humans. If you adjust for
that, the ratios are higher.

If Americans suddenly stopped eating meat entirely, and
all the animals were gone, no land or other productive
resources would be devoted to producing feed and other
materials for animals. It would take only a fraction of
those resources to produce the "missing" protein and
calories."
Jonathan Ball as Rudy Canoza 31 Mar 2005
http://tinyurl.com/5xs3b

You lose, Jon, while all vegans win.

>**** off now.

Nope, I'm not done yet.
Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:43:18 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>No

<unsnip>
A game that you set out and always lose. And
YOU call ME stupid?

>He's not trying to minimize at all.

He says he is, and you have no rational reason
to reject that claim.

>He's lying when he says he is.

He's clearly telling the truth, and by your own
admission he's achieving exactly what he's
setting out to do.

>He is only trying to "beat" meat eaters at a
>counting game.

Then maybe you *ought* to set your own side
(meat eaters) straight on this issue once and
for all, nebbish, because any carpenter at the
keyboard/vegan can punish them while playing
THEIR counting game. Don't forget that your
major premise is that vegans are initially
ignorant of the facts concerning collateral
deaths, so you've only yourselves to blame
when you introduce them, only to ****ing
start counting them. You're all ****ing idiots
without a ****ing clue, and you're making it
worse for them by staying silent.
<endsnip>

Couldn't face the task in commenting on that,
could you, nebbish? Well, despite that failure
on your part I think I've proved my point and
shown Rupert that YOU believe his chosen
diet accrues the least harm.

Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:34:57 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>not. No running. The counting game is INVALID as a basis for claiming
>>>virtue

>> Then let's get

>No "let's".

You can't face the task or concede that by your
own hand Rupert is correct. What a way to carry
on; you should thoroughly ashamed of yourself.

>YOU get the **** out. You lost.
>
>**** off now.

heh heh heh. You wish.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:33:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>>Then let's get

>>No "let's". YOU get the **** out.

> I'm sure you'd prefer

You've lost.

I can type, and copy-and-paste, faster than you.
You're ****ed.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:35:58 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to write:

>>**** off now.

> Nope, I'm not done yet.

You were done over six years ago.
Rudy Canoza

Claire's fat crippled Uncle Dreck sobered up enough to
write:

> [shite]

This is why you're held in contempt by everyone, Dreck,
on all sides of all issues: you keep flogging a dead
horse. You're DONE. You aren't saying anything new,
and you had your nuts cut off (not that they did you
any good; David is the father of "your" kids) on the
shite you keep harping on.

You're done. You're trying to make something of the
counting game, and there's nothing to be made of it.
Rupert is, despite his lame denials, trying to
establish his virtue based on a comparison with others,
and it can't be done - a comparison with other is NEVER
the basis for claiming virtue. It's long past time for
you to admit it and let it drop, but your rotten
character won't let you.

**** off, you dole-scounging, cat-killing shitbag.
Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:46:34 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>> [shite]

Snipping everything away only shows you cannot
face the task in dealing with the issue of your
contradictory quotes, nebbish. And trying to bring
in other matters won't throw me off either, coward.

You have no valid argument against the vegan or
me, and your quotes show that you're in a Hell of
a mess here when criticising vegans for not doing
something to reduce the farmer's collateral deaths
while YOU in fact declare that they do. By your
own hand a vegan diet accrues the least, so any
vegan who feels obligated to follow the least harm
diet as described by you IS doing exactly what they
set out to do. You can't win on this, and you know it.
Read on.

A Case for Ethical Vegetarianism by Jonathan Ball.

Jonathan Ball, currently posting under the name 'Rudy
Canoza', constantly "puts down" vegans for what he
regards as their "shabby, atrocious reasoning behind
their choices."

"We put down "vegans" for the shabby, atrocious
reasoning behind their choices. I don't give a ****
what you eat. I do care if you give bullshit reasons
for why you eat as you do."
Jonathan Ball as Rudy Canoza 1 Apr 2005
http://tinyurl.com/6o953

He "cares" if vegans "give bullshit reasons for WHY
[they] eat as [they] do," yet he himself makes the
case for ethical veganism in several areas, including
environmental ethics and the collateral deaths issue
associated with a vegan diet.

While making the case for ethical veganism on
environmental grounds, he readily concedes that due
to feed conversion ratios, "There is a loss of energy in
feeding livestock feed to animals." He also concedes
that, "Meat is expensive relative to vegetable produce",
and that, "the resources that produce that animal feed
[...]

Environmentally, then, as well as economically, the
"bullshit reasons for WHY [they] eat as [they] do" make
perfect sense, rather, and displays sound reasoning. He
certainly has no valid quarrel with vegans there.

Concerning the collateral deaths in crop production issue,
Jon makes the case for adopting a vegan diet yet again.
While vegans readily accept the fact that collateral deaths
in crop production sometimes occur, and while they are
powerless to stop farmers from causing them, their choice
to abstain from farmed meat does reduce them from what
they would be if they did consume meat, and Jon makes this
fact clear in the following statement he made back in 2003.

"If you insist on playing a stupid counting game,
you'll lose. "vegans" and a few sensible meat eaters
alike have pointed out that the overwhelming majority
of grain is grown to feed livestock. That means if you
eat meat that you bought at a store, you cause more
deaths: the deaths of the animals you eat, plus the
CDs of the animals killed in the course of producing
feed for the animals you eat.

The counting game is doubly stupid to be offered by
meat eaters: the moral issue isn't about counting, and
the meat eater will always lose the game, unless he
hunts or raises and slaughters his own meat."
Jonathan Ball 22 May 2003 http://tinyurl.com/664t2

As we can see, Jon concedes, "if you eat meat that you
bought at a store, you cause more deaths: the deaths of
the animals you eat, plus the CDs of the animals killed
in the course of producing feed for the animals you eat."
Bearing in mind that ethical vegans don't want to cause
deaths in the first place, let alone cause more by buying
meat from a store, Jon's above statement makes their case
for adopting a vegan diet yet again. For the second time
he shows that the "bullshit reasons for WHY [they] eat
as [they] do" aren't bullshit reasons after all, at least, not
in his view.

Concerning the raising of livestock, Jon concedes, as
animal rights advocates have always insisted, that ;

"IF one believes that the moral harm caused by killing
them is greater in magnitude than ANY benefit they
might derive from "decent lives", then logically one
MUST conclude that not raising them in the first
place is the ethically superior choice."
Jonathan Ball as Dieter 22 Jun 2004
http://tinyurl.com/539vv

He goes on to write, "You KNOW I don't believe that,
****wit.", and that is true, for he doesn't believe that
animals hold or ought to be granted the right against
him from being farmed and slaughtered. Nevertheless,
from the animal rights advocate's point of view he
refers to in that paragraph (If "one"), who views animal
rights as self-evident, just as self-evident as Jefferson
once described human rights in his declaration of
independence;

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men
are created equal, that they are endowed by their
creator with certain unalienable [inalienable] rights,
that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of
happiness."

he has no valid argument against them or the "one" on
those grounds, either. In fact, he makes the case for
ethical veganism better than most vegans do.

Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:46:34 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>>[shite]

> Snipping everything away

Snipping your irrelevant desperation away is morally
correct.
Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:35:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>You've lost.
>
>I can type, and copy-and-paste, faster than you.

Cripes! I guess that MUST mean I HAVE lost.

>You're ****ed.

We both know that that's nowhere near the truth.
Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:35:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>

>>You've lost.
>>
>>I can type, and copy-and-paste, faster than you.

> Cripes! I guess that MUST mean I HAVE lost.

It means you're going to lose this little time-wasting
meaningless contest.

>>You're ****ed.

> We both know that that's nowhere near the truth.

We ALL know it is exactly the truth.
Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:22:28 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:35:39 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>>
>>>You've lost.
>>>
>>>I can type, and copy-and-paste, faster than you.

>> Cripes! I guess that MUST mean I HAVE lost.

>It means you're going to lose this little time-wasting
>meaningless contest.

If Rupert and others can see by your quotes that
you've already conceded to the fact that a vegan
diet accrues less collateral deaths than a typical
meat-centric diet, especially while you continue
to assert that the opposite is true from time to
time when attacking them here, then my time has
not been wasted, and you've been made to look
a liar and a fool.
usual suspect

Rupert wrote:
<...>
>>>No, I didn't. I claimed to have read some information about intensive
>>>rearing of animals.

>>That information isn't going to help you minimize
>>animal death and suffering.

> Why not?

1. Because it's fraudulent propaganda from activists.
2. Because reading is a passive activity does NOTHING to minimize animal
suffering and death.

>>>I have pointed out that intensively reared animals suffer considerably.

>>You didn't define suffering. You didn't show how you
>>know they suffer. Rick is right - you went looking for
>>"vegan" propaganda, found it, and now claim to have
>>done "research".

> Why is "research" in quotes?

Because you've not researched anything. You've read polemics written by
activists and swallowed their distortions and lies without ever
"researching" to see how much (or little) of their claims are true.

> Is it a quote from me? You see, I don't
> think I ever actually said the word.
>
> I have read numerous descriptions of factory farms, such as those in
> Peter Singer, "Animal Liberation", 2nd ed.,

A polemic. Singer is an activist, NOT a scientist. He's not interested
in truth. He's pushing an agenda.

> David DeGrazia, "Taking Animals Seriously",

Another polemic. DeGrazia is an activist, not a scientist. He's not
interested in truth. He's pushing an agenda.

> Mylan Engel, Jr., "The Immorality of Eating Meat",

Another polemic. Engel is an activist, not a scientist. He's not
interested in truth. He's pushing an agenda.

> and have concluded on that basis

On the basis of three activists. Not on the basis of investigating
whether or not their claims are true or not. Look at these links. These
are your "factory" pork farms. Tell me where you see these claims you
made the other day:

They are kept in small crates too narrow from them to turn
around. They are deprived of straw and other sources of
amusement. They suffer greatly from boredom. They stand on
either wire mesh, slatted floors or concrete floors, which are
unnatural footings. They suffer from poor air quality due to
poor ventilation and accumulating waste products. They are often
abused at the loading and unloading stages of transport.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext...AN_PigFarm.gif
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/undergrad/ag_eng16.jpg
http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/ga...es/hogfarm.jpg
http://www.ams.usda.gov/contracting/contract4.jpg

If the links won't open directly in your browser, cut and paste each one
in so you can tell us where you see ANYTHING of the sort of conditions
you stupidly parroted.

And while I'm quoting back from that post, please address this other
****ing lie you repeated:

Furthermore it takes eight pounds of protein in hog feed to
generate a pound of pork.

I replied back to you:
****ing lie! See the chart on the following pork feed page:
http://tinyurl.com/85e6j

A 20-25kg hog will feed for 40-50 days on 82-91kg of feed and gain about
32kg. That's not an 8:1 ratio, it's a ~3:1 ratio.

> that intensively farmed animals endure
> a considerable amount of suffering.

You have NO ****ING CLUE what farming conditions are like aside from
what you've read from biased, agenda-driven activists. Look at those
pics above and tell me how those animals appear to be suffering,
numbnuts. You have two choices: continue lying about things of which
you're ignorant or investigate the claims of BOTH sides and see which is
closer to telling the truth. Hint: it's *NOT* the activists.

>>>I have pointed out that most animal food production requires more plant
>>>production than plant food production. And I have linked to an article
>>>which discusses Davis' ruminant-pasture model of food production, and
>>>compares it to a vegan model.
>>>
>>>If you feel there's a contention I've made which isn't adequately
>>>supported by all of this, tell me what it is.

>>It's this: your claim that being "vegan" is ipso facto
>>the death-and-harm minimizing stance. Your bogus
>>"research" doesn't support that claim. It can't.

> I have supported that claim as follows: intensive farming methods cause
> considerable suffering,

Unproven claim. Worse, your "sources" are activists.

> most animal food production requires more plant
> production than plant food production, and therefore causes more CDs,
> and furthermore, I linked to article which compares Davis'
> ruminant-pasture model of food production with a vegan model and
> concludes that it causes more deaths.

Matheny is an activist with a group called Vegan Action. He's not a
scientist, which is abundantly clear from reading his response to Davis'
thesis. Here's something I wrote about Matheny's article when we
discussed it last year:

------
After making some terrible strawman arguments, Matheny concludes:
The type of ruminant production Davis proposes is a world apart
from the omnivorism prevalent in the United States. I, for one,
would be delighted if U.S. animal agriculture would shift toward
Davis’s proposed system, as it would greatly improve the lives
of farmed animals now intensively confined. In fact, even a
shift from eating intensively-confined chicken to eating
intensively-confined beef would be a vast improvement.

Rather than explaining where and how a veg-n diet causes fewer animal
casualties, he simply says it is so. Davis did pre- and post-harvest
surveys of one crop. How many has Matheny, or any other vegan activist,
done?
------

> Now, of course, I *might* be wrong

You are.

> in my estimate that I'm contributing
> to as little suffering and death as I can. But I've yet to see anyone
> provide practical suggestions for further reducing my contribution to
> suffering and death, together with evidence that it actually will.

I gave you at least three very reasonable alternatives yesterday.
>>>It's also been proven that factory-farmed animals live lives with a
>>>great deal of misery and suffering in them, more suffering than would
>>>be involved in being killed by a combine harvester, or even a more
>>>protacted death from chemicals.

>>No, that hasn't been proved at all. You haven't even
>>tried.

> I've done about as good a job of proving it as he did of proving his
> claim. Anyway, I've given you references now to descriptions of
> factory-farming on which I base my judgement. If you want to contest
> it, provide some argument.

You've yet to offer ANY argument or evidence for your claims that abuse
is pervasive in ANY form of livestock production. Look at the pics
linked above. Those are normal "factory" farm conditions. Tell us
exactly how those images match those painted by your activist sources.

>>>You're asking me why I don't eat meat? I don't particularly want to,
>>>and I don't see any reason why I should.

>>If your goal is allegedly to minimize harm, perhaps you
>>should consider adding some meat to your diet to
>>replace some high-death vegetables.

> The article I linked to leads me to doubt that that would actually
> further reduce the harm I cause.

Non sequitur. You already cause thousands and thousands of animals to
die. Why would you object to only one more?

BTW, your Matheny article concluded:
The type of ruminant production Davis proposes is a world apart
from the omnivorism prevalent in the United States. I, for one,
would be delighted if U.S. animal agriculture would shift toward
Davis’s proposed system, as it would greatly improve the lives
of farmed animals now intensively confined. In fact, even a
shift from eating intensively-confined chicken to eating
intensively-confined beef would be a vast improvement.

> If you think I'm wrong, provide some
> evidence.

See Matheny's conclusion above.

>>We know why you don't eat meat: because you think it
>>elevates you morally, and you like to tell the world
>>how virtuous you are.

> Unsupported abuse.

That's not abuse. Your ethics are centered upon what you put in your
mouth, which is a peculiar and questionable basis for one's ethics.

usual suspect

Rupert wrote:

>>>No, I didn't. I claimed to have read some information about intensive
>>>rearing of animals.

>> From activists.

Established.

>>>"Factory-farming" sounds like a pretty reasonable
>>>description to me. I don't need to point you to all the descriptions of
>>>it in the literature.

>>But please do so we can see which specific activist group(s) you're
>>parroting.

> See my reply to Rudy.

I did.

>>>I have pointed out that intensively reared animals suffer considerably.

>>Without evidence. I just linked to photos of horrendous "factory" pork
>>farms. Where are the small pens, lack of sun or straw, etc.?

> Sorry, I couldn't see the link.

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext...AN_PigFarm.gif
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/undergrad/ag_eng16.jpg
http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/ga...es/hogfarm.jpg
http://www.ams.usda.gov/contracting/contract4.jpg

I'll post them in every damn reply to you until you admit you've seen
them and until you explain how those "factory" farm conditions are in
any way congruent with the absurd descriptions you've parroted from your
activist propaganda.

> I do have some evidence,

No, you do NOT have evidence. You're repeating activists. Activists are
not evidence. They're biased. They put an agenda ahead of the truth.
You've accepted their BS propaganda at face value instead of doing any
research to see if it's true.

>>>I have pointed out that most animal food production requires more plant
>>>production than plant food production.

>>And ignored rebuttal that grains and legumes fed to livestock are
>>generally unfit for human consumption.

> No, I haven't ignored that rebuttal, it hasn't been made.

I believe Dutch made it, or he at least noted that most grazing land
isn't suitable for crop production.

> While the
> point you made makes a difference to the calculation, are you really
> denying the claim?

Absolutely.

It is often claimed that feeding cereals to animals and then
eating the animals is much less efficient than eating the
cereals directly (Millward, 1999). Frequently gross calculations
about animal production and grain use are made. For example
production figures have been presented to show that it requires
2 kg, 4 kg and 6 kg of grain to produce 1 kg of poultry, pork
and beef respectively (Khush, 2001). The implication is that
this is an inefficient use of scarce food materials. However
this is a rather simplistic analysis and takes little account of
the actual forms and types of grains used and of the mechanisms
of animal nutrition and production using modern techniques.

All animal and human nutrition ultimately depends upon only five
basic types of raw materials, all of plant origin; forages,
oilseeds, cereals, fruits and vegetables. These five classes of
materials must feed both humans and animals. A very large
proportion of the five basic classes of food raw materials
cannot be utilised directly by humans especially forages and
many other feed ingredients are actually inedible by-products of
human food manufacturing. Humans as omnivores require foods of
both animal and plant origin for optimum growth and development.

Forages which include pasture, silages, hay and straw are
produced in very large quantities and cannot be utilized by
humans at all in their native state. Consequently ruminants play
an important role in the ecosystem as they can digest these high
fibre forages which humans cannot utilise and convert them into
valuable human food products such as meat and milk. Ruminants
are also an important source of non-food items such as leather
and wool.

It should also be emphasised that many animal feeds for
non-ruminants such as pigs and poultry actually contain a large
amount of raw materials which are basically inedible for humans.

...Modern ruminant production also relies less and less on
feeding animals human food-grade cereals. For example dairy
rations can be, and frequently are, produced without any cereal
components whatsoever. Dairy cows can be adequately fed upon a
forage source, usually silage or fresh grass together with a
manufactured concentrate feed that does not necessarily contain
any human food-grade cereals.
http://www.afma.co.za/AFMA_Template/20034.htm

See also:
http://www.eugrainlegumes.org/summary/

> Can you show me your calculations?

I addressed your particular claim about hogs requiring 8 pounds of grain
to make a pound of meat. Can you show ME a calculation? Here's one I
found on the following feed company website:
http://tinyurl.com/85e6j

A 20-25kg hog will feed for 40-50 days on 82-91kg of feed and gain about
32kg. That's not an 8:1 ratio, it's a ~3:1 ratio.

I've also addressed the issue of other livestock including the infamous
lie attributable to John Robbins and perpetuated by urban vegan idiots
that it takes sixteen ****ing pounds of grain to make a pound of meat:

The length of time that cattle spend in feedlots on high grain
diets is variable. A calf typically starts life in March to May
and remains with the cow on pasture or range until October or
November. The calf may then be moved to a feedlot or may be
maintained on a forage feeding program until a year later when
it is moved to a feedlot as a yearling. Thus, beef cattle
generally enter feedlots at weights of 450 to 650 pounds
(calves), or 650 to 900 pounds (yearlings). For example, calves
may enter the feedlot at 500 pounds and be marketed at about
1,100 pounds. Yearlings may enter the feedlot at 750 pounds and
be marketed at about 1,200 pounds, while heavy yearlings enter
at about 900 pounds and are marketed at about 1,200 pounds.

How much grain and protein supplement are required to produce a
pound of retail beef?

* 1,200-pound beef cows marketed at 7 years of age have
consumed a total of 840 pounds of protein supplement (120 pounds
per year).
* 500-pound feedlot calves fed to 1,100 pounds consume 6.5
pounds of total feed (80 percent grain and protein supplement)
per pound of gain.
* 750-pound feedlot yearlings fed to 1,200 pounds consume
7.2 pounds of total feed (90 percent grain and protein
supplement) per pound of gain.
* Yield of retail beef per pound of live weight is .45 pound
(.35 pound for cows).

Thus, it takes 2 pounds of grain and protein supplement to
produce a pound of retail beef from beef cows and 3.6 pounds for
heavy yearlings. For lighter weight yearlings and calves, the
figures are 5.4 pounds and 6.3 pounds. These calculations do not
consider the fertilizer value of the manure and urine provided
by cattle during grazing and finishing.

Contrary to some published claims, it does not take 16 pounds of
grain to produce a pound of beef (Robbins 1987). Since beef cows
are a major source of ground beef, a value between 3 and 4
pounds of grain and protein supplement to produce a pound of
ground beef would be appropriate. Only by assuming that beef
animals are fed diets composed largely of grains from birth to
market weight could a value as great as 16 pounds be obtained.
Those familiar with the beef industry know that this does not
occur. In fact, cattle do not require any grain for the
production of meat; the microbes in the rumen manufacture
high-quality protein from nonprotein nitrogen.
http://tinyurl.com/93mwm

The ratios are similar for other livestock. It doesn't take other
mammals two or three times as many calories as it takes us to gain a pound.

>>>If you feel there's a contention I've made which isn't adequately
>>>supported by all of this, tell me what it is.

>>1. That some kinds of agriculture are "factory" and others aren't.

> I didn't say this, and I don't really think there's any serious
> question about it.

*I* think there's a serious question about it. Farming has always been a
"factory" operation. The current (leftist) opposition to large-scale
farming is based on opposition to free enterprise and technology. The
animal rights argument is a veneer over the misanthropy of the activists
opposing such farming practices.

>>2. That the activists are correct that the exceptions are the rule.

> I didn't say this.

You don't have to. I'm familiar with their claims. You've accepted their
presentation as factual. It isn't. Look at the pics of the "factory"
farms above and tell me how they square with the grotesque mental images
the activists painted for you.

> I've given you my references.

They're not good references.

> You tell me what's wrong with them.

For starters, they're biased and polemic. They also portray the most
egregious exceptions as the norm, rather than portraying the norm.
That's because their goal is to get you to emote and take sides, not to
give you an accurate picture. The accurate pictures are linked above. Go
on, take a good look.

>>3. That animals suffer inordinate abuse from modern farming methods.

> I believe this is supported by the evidence I've referred to.

You've only told us that you've read activist literature. You have not
supported anything with any evidence. Quote me Singer, I'll show you
pictures. Quote me DeGrazia, I'll show you pictures. Quote me Robbins,
and I'll give you links to information like that above showing that he's
a complete fraud when it comes to issues relating to agriculture.

>>4. That veganism causes less animals to die than any other diet.

> I didn't say this, I said it was one way to minimize your contribution
> to animal suffering.

Ipse dixit and unproven.

> If you've got a suggestion for a better way, let's
> hear it.

Read my replies to your posts from yesterday.

>>5. That the solution to all man's problems is based on meat.

> I didn't say this.

You don't have to because the writers of all your "evidence" do. You
really don't want to hang your philosophical hat on Singer's and
DeGrazia's writings.

>>I'll add more if I remember them later.

>>>You really are quite bizarre. You think that somehow my claim to have
>>>made an informed decision to become vegan entails that I should have
>>>gone through all the Usenet archives to find out what arguments you
>>>have offered in the past? If you want to convince me, just present me
>>>with the arguments.

>>I'm convinced your decision was uninformed: you read vegan/AR propaganda
>>and swallowed it hook, line, and sinker. You never once sought out any
>>other side of the story (much less the accurate one).

Established.
usual suspect

Rupert wrote:
>>You also are blind to the
>>possiblity that some consumption pattern that DOES
>>include animal parts might actually be lower than what
>>you're consuming now.

> No, I'm not. But I want to see some evidence.

You sure as hell didn't demand any evidence from Singer, DeGrazia, et
al, when reading their propaganda. You were gullible enough to believe
them despite the following "evidence" of so-called "factory" farming:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext...AN_PigFarm.gif
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/undergrad/ag_eng16.jpg
http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/ga...es/hogfarm.jpg
http://www.ams.usda.gov/contracting/contract4.jpg

How do these pics jibe with how those activists describe such farms?
usual suspect

Rupert wrote:

>>>My claim is not that I don't contribute the death and suffering of
>>>animals. It is that I contribute as little as possible.

>>Without any objective evidence by which you or anyone else can measure.
>>IOW, you merely BELIEVE you're doing the something beneficial.

> I have some evidence for it, which I've provided.

That's not evidence of anything except that I was correct in assessing
you as a parrot of vegan/AR activists.

>>>I have some idea.

>>No, you have some FAITH.

> I have some evidence.

Where?

>>>I'm always happy to find out more,

>>Did you investigate any of the claims of the activists before you
>>swallowed their hook?

> I didn't get my information from activists.

Singer, DeGrazia, et al, are vegan/AR activists.
usual suspect

Rupert wrote:
> Based on the references I gave elsewhere.

Singer, DeGrazia, et al, are not references. They're activists. Their
literature is propaganda.
usual suspect

Rupert wrote:
<...>
>>>Davis estimates the death toll at 1.8 billion. More animals than that are
>>>killed in animal food production. And each animal suffers considerably
>>>more.

>>Being fed, given clean water, and watched closely for sound health is
>>suffering?

> I do believe animals suffer considerably on factory-farms.

I'm not interest in your faith and beliefs.

> I have given my references elsewhere.

Those aren't references. Those are activist books. Here's your evidence.
Tell me how these pics compare to the polemical images painted by your
activist sources:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext...AN_PigFarm.gif
http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/undergrad/ag_eng16.jpg
http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/ga...es/hogfarm.jpg
http://www.ams.usda.gov/contracting/contract4.jpg

>>Do you think that list in my previous post is more "humane"
>>treatment?
>>1. Internal bleeding from poisoning (pesticides, herbicides)
>>2. Being run over by a tractor
>>3. Being crushed by a plow
>>4. Being sliced and diced by various tractor implements
>>5. Drowning (from irrigation)
>>6. Suffocation (which happens to aquatic life when rice fields are drained)
>>7. Being burned alive (straw is often burned after harvest)

Well, dummy? Which of these facts of modern agriculture are congruent
with your pseudo-philosophy?

>>>That's not a very reasonable interpretation of my argument.

>>I think it's quite a reasonable interpretation of your argument.

> Well, you're wrong.

No, I'm right. You don't give a rat's arse about rats or any other
animals; you only care about animals when other people choose to eat them.

>>>I believe
>>>that, on any reasonable interpretation of this principle, this will
>>>require veganism or near-veganism.

>>Funny that. You take an animal rights activist's ideas to heart and then
>>justify veganism accordingly. That doesn't show much thought on your
>>part, but the world does need followers.

> If you think there's a problem with my conclusions, tell me what it is.

I already have, and the gist of it's contained in the above paragraph.
You bought into activist propaganda without seeing how much of it's even
true. (None of it is.)

>>>It's not altogether clear to me that
>>>it requires me to stop supporting commercial agriculture.

>>You summarized DaGrazia thusly:
>>
>> Make every reasonable effort to avoid providing financial
>> support to practices that cause or support unnecessary harm.
>>
>>Let me ask you which YOU consider more "necessary" between advancing
>>medicine through vivisection and running over animals with combines,
>>poisoning them, etc.

> The latter. It's necessary to provide food.

So you consider it more "necessary" to do the following to animals so
you can have "vegan" meals than to humanely euthanize animals after
testing medications which benefit both humans and other animals:
1. Internal bleeding from poisoning (pesticides, herbicides)
2. Being run over by a tractor
3. Being crushed by a plow
4. Being sliced and diced by various tractor implements
5. Drowning (from irrigation)
6. Suffocation (which happens to aquatic life when rice fields are drained)
7. Being burned alive (straw is often burned after harvest)

There are other ways of obtaining food without killing animals,
including growing your own and foraging. There aren't many other ways of
testing medications or procedures without killing animals. But thanks
anyway for showing your true colors: you don't really object to harming
animals, you only care that other people eat them or improve their lives
through research.

>>>Fishing? Fishing involves a fairly high death rate per serving of food.

>>No, it doesn't. One large fish provides many meals. Catch your own and
>>there's no bycatch.

> If you're lucky enough to get a large fish.

Ditch the lame excuses. Throw back small fish if you catch one. Catch
and release works.
http://www.catchandreleasefound.org/home.html

Or if you don't want to go fishing yourself, you can purchase fish which
is caught sustainably:

http://www.seafoodchoices.com/newsle...eature.1.shtml
http://www.ccchfa.org/
http://www.davesalbacore.com/

>>>I would want to see some more evidence that fishing will do any good.

>>Meat from a 20-pound fish will dress out at about half that, providing
>>ten pounds of meat. At a quarter pound per serving, you have 40 meals'
>>worth of fish. One dead fish, 40 meals.
>>
>>How many animals die so you can have rice and beans? Better yet, tell us
>>if you eat any of the fake meat products made from soy and/or gluten.

> Not very often. Only sometimes when I go out to restaurants.

You should stop doing that. You're wasting resources. From a recent post:

----
GLUTEN
Average wheat flour contains about 13% protein, and gluten
accounts for 80% of that. A pound of vital gluten, then, would
require over 9.5 pounds of flour. It would then have to be
hydrated if it were purchased already processed. Much of the
weight of seitan is going to be water, but one uses a tremendous
amount of water when washing out the starch to make seitan on
one's own. No matter how you cut it, it's wasteful of grain and
water resources and requires more water and grain per pound than
a turkey would.

See also:
http://tinyurl.com/crax7
http://www.smallgrains.org/springwh/mar99/import.htm
http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives...7736.Bc.r.html

TOFU
Tofu is mostly water. According to the following article, one pound of
soybeans should yield 3.5-4 pounds of tofu. The recipe itself yields
22-26 ounces depending how much water is pressed out (soft vs firm). The
weight of the water input is >13x the weight of the soybeans -- 11 cups
of water is just over 2.6 liters, or 5.72 pounds of water by weight. A
cup of soybeans weighs seven ounces -- less than 1/2 pound.

Recipe:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/libra...ctober/The_Boo...

soybean volume:weight conversion:
http://www.fareshare.net/conversions...to-weight.html
------

>>>And one problem with hunting is that not all of the animals are killed,
>>>some of them are just seriously maimed.

>>Then practice your shot before you go hunting, only shoot what you can
>>visually identify, and only shoot when you have confidence that you'll
>>kill it.
>>
>>>So the amount of suffering and
>>>death caused per serving of food is higher than it appears at first.

>>No, you're straining with some very ridiculous excuses.
>>

>>>Where do you suggest I go hunting, anyway?

>>In what area do you live?

> North Sydney.

You're an urbanite.

>>>Or where do you suggest I buy my meat?

>> From a local producer of grazed ruminants.

> I'm not convinced that would reduce my contribution to animal
> suffering, for reasons given in an article I linked to earlier.

Matheny's article doesn't address that issue, and he concludes:
The type of ruminant production Davis proposes is a world apart
from the omnivorism prevalent in the United States. I, for one,
would be delighted if U.S. animal agriculture would shift toward
Davis’s proposed system, as *it would greatly improve the lives
of farmed animals* now intensively confined. In fact, *even a
shift from eating intensively-confined chicken to eating
intensively-confined beef would be a vast improvement*.

My emphasis.

>>>And what is your evidence that this will actually *reduce*
>>>the amount of animal death and suffering I contribute to?

>>Where's YOUR evidence that your diet causes no or less animal suffering
>>and death than anyone else's?

> Well, animal food production mostly requires more plant production than
> plant food production. And I've linked to an article which argues that
> even Davis' ruminant-pasture model wouldn't do as well as a vegan model.

Try again and this time try to answer the question I asked.

Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:22:28 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:

>>>Cripes! I guess that MUST mean I HAVE lost.

>>It means you're going to lose this little time-wasting
>>meaningless contest.

> If Rupert and others can see by your quotes that
> you've already conceded to the fact that a vegan
> diet accrues less collateral deaths than a typical
> meat-centric diet

I don't care if he sees it or not. It's meaningless.

He STILL isn't minimizing by ONLY refraining from
eating meat; he's only causing fewer than the typical
meat eater. But he *claims* to want to minimize.

It's obvious he's trying only to establish some
difference between himself and meat eaters. It's
equally obvious that he was "vegan" *first*, and began
seeking a rationale for it later.

I don't think he'll stick around here long.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote
> By your own testament, a vegan diet has less
> collateral deaths associated with it, and it's both
> more economical and environmentally friendly
> than a meat eating diet,

Better than a "typical" meat-inclusive diet, which is faint praise...

It fails to be better "categorically*, and that's the problem.

Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:38:25 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>It means you're going to lose this little time-wasting
>>>meaningless contest.

>> If Rupert and others can see by your quotes that
>> you've already conceded to the fact that a vegan
>> diet accrues less collateral deaths than a typical
>> meat-centric diet

>I don't care if he sees it or not.

Yes, you do, because it crashes your little attack
on him to the floor, hypocrite. Jeeze, can't you
come up with something better than this stinking
collateral death red herring? By your own hand
a typical vegan diet accrues less than a typical
meat-centric one, and we aren't to blame for
them, so what possible use are they to your
argument against vegans anyway?

>I don't think he'll stick around here long.

Probably not now I've shown him you've always
been in complete agreement with him, time-waster.
Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:38:25 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:

>>>If Rupert and others can see by your quotes that
>>>you've already conceded to the fact that a vegan
>>>diet accrues less collateral deaths than a typical
>>>meat-centric diet

>>I don't care if he sees it or not.

> Yes, you do,

No, I don't. I've fully addressed his nonsense claims.
He is NOT minimizing, which is what he claims to be
trying to do; I've shown that. He IS trying to claim a
moral victory over meat eaters merely for "winning" a
meaningless contest; I've made clear to him why the
contest is meaningless in the context of establishing
one's virtue.

It was easy to concede that vegetarians "win" the
meaningless counting game, Dreck, BECAUSE it is
meaningless. Because I am honest, I would have
admitted it anyway, but it was a minor concession in
the circumstance.

You're just going to have to accept it, ******: the
counting game is meaningless, and it absolutely doesn't
matter who "wins" it.
Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:59:51 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>Derek wrote:

>>>I don't care if he sees it or not.

>> Yes, you do,

>No, I don't. I've fully addressed his nonsense claims.

By your own hand, his claim in that his diet typically
accrues the least harm when compared to a typical
meat-centric diet is established as true.

> He is NOT minimizing, which is what he claims to be
>trying to do; I've shown that.

By abstaining from farmed meat, he does exactly
what he tells you he's set out to do: reduce collateral
deaths from what they would be if he followed a
meat-centric diet.

>He IS trying to claim a
>moral victory over meat eaters merely for "winning" a
>meaningless contest; I've made clear to him why the
>contest is meaningless in the context of establishing
>one's virtue.

Then why haven't you discussed the two components
required for measuring virtue, Jon? You attacked him.
that's all. You haven't made any attempt to explain
the meaning and tools required for measuring virtue.

>It was easy to concede that vegetarians "win" the
>meaningless counting game, Dreck, BECAUSE it is
>meaningless. Because I am honest, I would have
>admitted it anyway, but it was a minor concession in
>the circumstance.
>
>You're just going to have to accept it, ******: the
>counting game is meaningless, and it absolutely doesn't
>matter who "wins" it.

I agree.

Dutch

"Derek" > wrote
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:37:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

[..]
>>The counting game is INVALID as a basis for claiming
>>virtue.

> That may be so if argued correctly...

What nonsense, the truth of something does not depend on
how it's argued. This shows up in your claim that you are
not complicit in the deaths of animals in agriculture and
medicine. You lack a basic understanding of reality.

Derek

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:19:22 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>"Derek" > wrote
>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:37:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>[..]
>>>The counting game is INVALID as a basis for claiming
>>>virtue.

>> That may be so if argued correctly...

>What nonsense

Dutch, take it from me that virtue cannot be measured
by comparing yourself to others or counting another's
bad actions.
Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 21:59:51 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:
>
>>Derek wrote:

>>>Yes, you do,

>>No, I don't. I've fully addressed his nonsense claims.

> By your own hand,

By my own hand, Dreck, I addressed and dismissed his
false claim that he attains a death-minimizing diet
merely by refraining from eating meat. He does not
minimize animal death merely by refraining from eating
meat. That's settled.

>> He is NOT minimizing, which is what he claims to be
>>trying to do; I've shown that.

> By abstaining from farmed meat,

he doesn't minimize.

>>He IS trying to claim a
>>moral victory over meat eaters merely for "winning" a
>>meaningless contest; I've made clear to him why the
>>contest is meaningless in the context of establishing
>>one's virtue.

> Then why haven't you discussed the two components
> required for measuring virtue

I'm not interested in telling him how to attain virtue.
I'm only interested in telling him that his current
PHONY POSE is not one of virtue. I have told him,
correctly, that virtue is *never* measured by means of
invidious comparisons with others, and that it *is*
attained through adherence to valid moral principles.
He isn't adhering to any principles at all. He claims
that his adoption of the ****witted "vegan" rule, "do
not consume animal parts", is motivated by a principle
of minimizing harm; but we see that the rule has
NOTHING TO DO with minimizing harm.

You are DONE, Dreck. You cannot show any error I've
made in the analysis. All you can do is keep bringing
up irrelevancies. You, you stupid crippled ****, think
that "winning" the counting game *does* have meaning.
I have shown you conclusively and irrefutably that, in
matters of morality, it has no meaning. You're done.

>>It was easy to concede that vegetarians "win" the
>>meaningless counting game, Dreck, BECAUSE it is
>>meaningless. Because I am honest, I would have
>>admitted it anyway, but it was a minor concession in
>>the circumstance.
>>
>>You're just going to have to accept it, ******: the
>>counting game is meaningless, and it absolutely doesn't
>>matter who "wins" it.

> I agree.

No, you don't. Stop lying. You think that winning it
is *everything*.
Rudy Canoza

Derek wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:19:22 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>
>>"Derek" > wrote
>>
>>>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:37:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>>[..]

>>>That may be so if argued correctly...

>>What nonsense

> Dutch, take it from me that virtue cannot be measured
> by comparing yourself to others or counting another's
> bad actions.

Sleazy and dishonest, Dreck. He wasn't arguing that
virtue *can* be determined by a comparison; he was
arguing with your claim that the truth of *my* claim
depends on how I argue it. I suspect you knew that,
and were just bored with staring at your blue foot, so
decided to write some shit.
Dutch

"Derek" > wrote
> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 15:19:22 -0700, "Dutch" > wrote:
>>"Derek" > wrote
>>> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:37:07 GMT, Rudy Canoza > wrote:

>>[..]
>>>
>>> That may be so if argued correctly...

>>What nonsense

> Dutch, take it from me that virtue cannot be measured
> by comparing yourself to others or counting another's
> bad actions.

What a bozo. Take it from YOU!?! You have got to be
kidding me.

This deserves to be unsipped...

What nonsense, the truth of something does not depend on
how it's argued. This shows up in your claim that you are
not complicit in the deaths of animals in agriculture and
medicine. You lack a basic understanding of reality.

You think that whether or not something is valid or invalid,
true or not true, depends on whether or not it's "argued
correctly". You need a crash course in basic philosophy.