FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Always put quotes around "vegan" (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/416325-always-put-quotes-around.html)

George Plimpton 15-03-2012 05:12 AM

Always put quotes around "vegan"

It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

Mr.Smartypants[_4_] 15-03-2012 04:00 PM

On Mar 14, 11:12*pm, George Plimpton wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

You're just jealous, Gooberdoodle.

Rupert 17-03-2012 08:05 AM

On Mar 15, 6:12*am, George Plimpton wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

George Plimpton 17-03-2012 02:50 PM

On 3/17/2012 1:05 AM, Rupert wrote:
On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

Rupert 17-03-2012 03:33 PM

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George *wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and I don't believe that it involves self-
exaltation and sanctimony.

George Plimpton 17-03-2012 07:00 PM

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and

There isn't any such authentic desire. It's really all about the ego
and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

Dutch 17-03-2012 08:48 PM

Always put quotes around "vegan"

"Rupert" wrote

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously
ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and I don't believe that it involves self-
exaltation and sanctimony.

This issue of collateral death and suffering does not exist in the conscious
awareness of the vast majority of vegans. When it is introduced to them, two
reactions outnumber all others by a wide margin, the first is denial, the
second is 'I'm still doing better than meat eaters'. Concern about the death
and suffering they just became aware of virtually never comes into it, and
certainly not anywhere near to the level of the concern they claim to have
for farmed animals. This is compelling evidence that veganism is primarily
about maintaining a holy image, by the implication that the diet and
lifestyles of most people is tantamount to barbarism. This is the ugly part,
there's almost a Muslim-like zeal to it.

Rupert 17-03-2012 10:33 PM

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * *wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and

There isn't any such authentic desire. *It's really all about the ego
and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

This belief of yours strikes me as irrational.

Rupert 17-03-2012 10:35 PM

Always put quotes around "vegan"

"Rupert" wrote

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George *wrote:
[...]

I don't really have any way of knowing. You're presumably basing your
remarks on the usenet vegans you have met. I don't have any way of
knowing whether this says anything about the vegans I know. I also
don't know why I would care.

George Plimpton 18-03-2012 01:33 AM

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and

There isn't any such authentic desire. It's really all about the ego
and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

This belief of yours strikes me as irrational.

No, it doesn't. You just say that to try to deflect attention from you
own ego gratification and self-exaltation.

Rupert 18-03-2012 08:07 AM

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * * *wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and

There isn't any such authentic desire. *It's really all about the ego
and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

This belief of yours strikes me as irrational.

No, it doesn't. *You just say that to try to deflect attention from you
own ego gratification and self-exaltation.

How exactly do you think I am trying to exalt myself, Ball?

George Plimpton 18-03-2012 05:16 PM

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and

There isn't any such authentic desire. It's really all about the ego
and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

This belief of yours strikes me as irrational.

No, it doesn't. You just say that to try to deflect attention from you
own ego gratification and self-exaltation.

How exactly do you think I am trying to exalt myself

Believing that you're "better" than omnivores based on what you don't eat.

Rupert 19-03-2012 06:07 AM

On Mar 15, 6:12 am, George * * * * *wrote:
It's just a hideously ugly fake word on its face, and the loathsome
ideas and false beliefs encapsulated in it are even more hideously ugly.

What's ugly about the ideas involved in veganism?

False morality is inherently ugly, especially when it involves self
exaltation and sanctimony.

I don't believe that a desire to do something about animal suffering
is inherently ugly, and

There isn't any such authentic desire. *It's really all about the ego
and self-image of the so-called "vegan".

This belief of yours strikes me as irrational.

No, it doesn't. *You just say that to try to deflect attention from you
own ego gratification and self-exaltation.

How exactly do you think I am trying to exalt myself

Believing that you're "better" than omnivores based on what you don't eat.

I don't.

You do.

Why do you think that?