JessiJelloQueen

Default Bone China = Mad Cow?

My Mother just told me that she heard on XM radio that
if you eat on or cook with bone china made from infected cows it
could leach out into your food and make you sick...
As we all know Mad Cow cant be killed by heat!
Im throwing out all my china and buying melamine!
Just a heads up.

Jessi
usual suspect

JessiJelloQueen wrote:
> My Mother just told me that she heard on XM radio that
> if you eat on or cook with bone china made from infected cows it
> could leach out into your food and make you sick...

That's an irrational assumption. Sounds like she caught the Jeff Rense show.

Bone china is only 50% bone, and not entirely from cattle. Prions are
concentrated primarily in nerve tissue (especially brain and spinal cord)
regardless of species. Prions may appear in marrow, usually in lower
concentrations than in the brain or spinal column, but the marrow would
completely cook out when the bones are heated (1000+ degrees F). I've heard NO
account of prions migrating into bone tissues, or cases of whole families being
wiped out from the use of certain kinds of dishware.

> As we all know Mad Cow cant be killed by heat!

It's also not ubiquitous in cattle, bone ash, or dinnerware.

> Im throwing out all my china and buying melamine!

Sell it on eBay. You may as well get something for it. BTW, are you aware that
melamine is a thermosetting plastic? It's also known as
2,4,6-Triamino-1,3,5-triazine (that's all one word), Trimeric cyanamide, and
Cyanurotriamide. It's probably unwise to use it for hot foods since it softens
when absorbs heat -- causing it to release chemicals like Bisphenol A (look that
up sometime, ok?), cyanide, and formaldehyde (which is used in processing
melamine resin). Did your mom tell you about melamine, too?

> Just a heads up.

No, just an over-reaction based on a kooky alarmist radio show, silly.

usual suspect

ADDENDUM... hehe

usual suspect wrote:
<...>
>> Im throwing out all my china and buying melamine!

> Sell it on eBay. You may as well get something for it. BTW, are you
> aware that melamine is a thermosetting plastic? It's also known as
> 2,4,6-Triamino-1,3,5-triazine (that's all one word), Trimeric cyanamide,
> and Cyanurotriamide. It's probably unwise to use it for hot foods since
> it softens when absorbs heat -- causing it to release chemicals like
> Bisphenol A (look that up sometime, ok?), cyanide, and formaldehyde
> (which is used in processing melamine resin). Did your mom tell you
> about melamine, too?

More info on melamine:
http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc.../melamine.html

5.3 Human data
No data were available to evaluate the reproductive effects or prenatal
toxicity of melamine to humans.

No case report or epidemiological study was available to evaluate the
carcinogenicity of melamine to humans.

5.4 Evaluation
There is inadequate evidence for the carcinogenicity of melamine to
experimental animals.

No data on humans were available.

In the absence of epidemiological data, no evaluation of the
carcinogenicity of melamine to humans could be made.

Sounds like aspartame and sucralose, huh. What are you going to eat off of now,
chicken little?

usual suspect

ONE MORE ADDENDUM... HEHE
usual suspect wrote:
> <...>
>>> Im throwing out all my china and buying melamine!

>> Sell it on eBay. You may as well get something for it. BTW, are you
>> aware that melamine is a thermosetting plastic? It's also known as
>> 2,4,6-Triamino-1,3,5-triazine (that's all one word), Trimeric
>> cyanamide, and Cyanurotriamide. It's probably unwise to use it for hot
>> foods since it softens when absorbs heat -- causing it to release
>> chemicals like Bisphenol A (look that up sometime, ok?), cyanide, and
>> formaldehyde (which is used in processing melamine resin). Did your
>> mom tell you about melamine, too?

> More info on melamine:
> http://www.inchem.org/documents/iarc.../melamine.html
>
> 5.3 Human data
> No data were available to evaluate the reproductive effects or prenatal
> toxicity of melamine to humans.
>
> No case report or epidemiological study was available to evaluate the
> carcinogenicity of melamine to humans.
>
> 5.4 Evaluation
> There is inadequate evidence for the carcinogenicity of melamine to
> experimental animals.
>
> No data on humans were available.
>
> In the absence of epidemiological data, no evaluation of the
> carcinogenicity of melamine to humans could be made.
>
> Sounds like aspartame and sucralose, huh. What are you going to eat off
> of now, chicken little?

See:
http://ntp-server.niehs.nih.gov/htdo...ies/tr245.html

That'll probably scare the shit out of ya.

usual suspect

usual suspect wrote:
<...>
> Sell it on eBay. You may as well get something for it. BTW, are you
> aware that melamine is a thermosetting plastic? It's also known as
> 2,4,6-Triamino-1,3,5-triazine (that's all one word), Trimeric cyanamide,
> and Cyanurotriamide. It's probably unwise to use it for hot foods since
> it softens when absorbs heat -- causing it to release chemicals like
> Bisphenol A (look that up sometime, ok?), cyanide,

Sorry, JessiJelloBrain, I didn't catch that last night. I meant *cyanamide*. I
know you're already flaky and jittery from what you're mom told you. Not that
cyanamide is much better for you than cyanide. Look it up yourself. Hehe.

<...>

Ron

Jonathan Ball > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> JessiJelloQueen wrote:
>
> > My Mother just told me that she heard on XM radio that
> > if you eat on or cook with bone china made from infected cows it
> > could leach out into your food and make you sick...
> > As we all know Mad Cow cant be killed by heat!
> > Im throwing out all my china and buying melamine!
> > Just a heads up.

> You goddamned dope. The ****ing stuff is GLAZED, for
> christ's sake!
>
> http://home.howstuffworks.com/lenox7.htm
>
> The BSE prions, assuming that's what causes nvCJD, are
> not going to come through the glaze. What the **** is
> wrong with you?

Ball, you become completely unhinged over the smallest things.
(tsk, tsk, tsk.)
William Hershman

"Ron" > wrote in message
m...

> Ball, you become completely unhinged over the smallest things.
> (tsk, tsk, tsk.)

It takes something small;
To unhinge Mr. Ball.

On second thought, I will NOT quit my day job.

Ron

"William Hershman" > wrote in message news:<jLHbc.66703$w54.403561@attbi_s01>...
> "Ron" > wrote in message
> m...
> >
> > Ball, you become completely unhinged over the smallest things.
> > (tsk, tsk, tsk.)

> It takes something small;
> To unhinge Mr. Ball.
>
> On second thought, I will NOT quit my day job.

Prions are quite small
They may have unhinged Mr. Ball.

..