Rubystars

Default Stuffed Tomatoes version 1.0

I used:

1 can of mixed greens
1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
2 large tomatoes
1/4 large sweet onion
1/3 cup of dry plain cous cous
salt

I diced the onion and set that aside on a paper plate.

I took the two tomatoes and washed them off and cut a hole in the tops and
scooped out the insides with a spoon and set the insides aside on another
paper plate.

I opened the can of greens and put that into a pot without draining it so
all the water was there. I put the tomato pulp and onion into it too and put
the flame on high and let that come to a boil and boil for a while until the
onions were cooked and the liquid was reduced quite a bit.

After a while I added a splash of the tomato sauce and it gave the mixture a
little more color and made it look more appealing. I let it boil some more.

I saved the rest of the can back.

While that was boiling I prepared one serving of plain cous cous in the
microwave (1/3 cup dry) in water. I think it would have tasted better if I'd
used something else to flavor it with.

I then dumped the cous cous into the pot with the boiling vegetables and
kept stirring it so it wouldn't stick until nearly all the liquid was gone.

Then I took that mixture and used some of it to stuff the two big tomatoes,
making sure to pack the mixture into the sides.

I poured most of the remainder of the can of tomato sauce over the tops of
the stuffed tomatoes to give them a crown similar to what I've seen on
stuffed bell peppers.

Then I put them in the oven at 350 F for 25 minutes.

I took them out, put them in the refrigerator overnight, and ate one this
morning.

Other than needing salt, it wasn't that bad. It had a strong flavor of
tomato and greens, but if you like those flavors that's not a bad thing.

I'm going to try some other ideas soon.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

Just wanted to add that I had a lot of the stuffing mixture left over. I'll
probably eat that on its own separate.

I was thinking maybe a dairy type of food might have cut through the
sourness of the greens and tomatoes a little, but I'll have to try that next
time I use this recipe with the cous cous in some milk or soy milk.

-Rubystars

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
> Just wanted to add that I had a lot of the stuffing mixture left over. I'll
> probably eat that on its own separate.
>
> I was thinking maybe a dairy type of food might have cut through the
> sourness of the greens and tomatoes a little, but I'll have to try that next
> time I use this recipe with the cous cous in some milk or soy milk.

You might try one of the low-fat or soy cheeses on it (just a bit) or some
parmesan. I think spicing it up would've taken away much of the emphasis on the
bitterness of the greens and sourness of the tomatoes.

One thing I forgot to recommend to you yesterday was Land O'Lakes Fat-Free Half
& Half. I've used it once (shhh! don't tell anyone) and it's convincingly smooth
and rich when used in dishes. I used it in an Alfredo sauce and also to make a
couple desserts. HEB should have it.

http://www.landolakes.com/ourCompany...roductID=63211

Jonathan Ball

Default Stuffed Tomatoes version 1.3

Try using a tabbouleh mix in place of couscous. Be
sure to add lots of chopped parsley to the mix, and any
other chopped vegetables you like.

Rubystars

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Rubystars wrote:
> > Just wanted to add that I had a lot of the stuffing mixture left over.

I'll
> > probably eat that on its own separate.
> >
> > I was thinking maybe a dairy type of food might have cut through the
> > sourness of the greens and tomatoes a little, but I'll have to try that

next
> > time I use this recipe with the cous cous in some milk or soy milk.

> You might try one of the low-fat or soy cheeses on it (just a bit) or some
> parmesan. I think spicing it up would've taken away much of the emphasis

on the
> bitterness of the greens and sourness of the tomatoes.
>
> One thing I forgot to recommend to you yesterday was Land O'Lakes Fat-Free

Half
> & Half. I've used it once (shhh! don't tell anyone) and it's convincingly

smooth
> and rich when used in dishes. I used it in an Alfredo sauce and also to

make a
> couple desserts. HEB should have it.
>
> http://www.landolakes.com/ourCompany...roductID=63211

Cool! I didn't know there was such a thing as fat free half & half. Thanks
for the info.

That looks like it would be good if I just used a little of it.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
k.net...
> Try using a tabbouleh mix in place of couscous. Be
> sure to add lots of chopped parsley to the mix, and any
> other chopped vegetables you like.

I was actually thinking about tabbouleh this morning, wondering if it would
be good in this kind of thing. I've never had it before though so I might
want to try some on its own first.

-Rubystars

Jonathan Ball

Rubystars wrote:

> "Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
> k.net...
>
>>Try using a tabbouleh mix in place of couscous. Be
>>sure to add lots of chopped parsley to the mix, and any
>>other chopped vegetables you like.

> I was actually thinking about tabbouleh this morning, wondering if it would
> be good in this kind of thing. I've never had it before though so I might
> want to try some on its own first.

It really is excellent. There's a brand of packaged
rice and grain dishes called Middle East (maybe Middle
Eastern), and they sell a nice tabbouleh. IIRC, their
"suggested serving" instructions *call* for some
chopped tomato in it, along with the parsley and
probably some other stuff (I've had it with some
chopped cucumber in it as well, along with maybe some
mint or basil.) 'Twouldn't be any great stretch to
omit the chopped tomatoes from the mix, then stuff the
mix into some hollowed-out tomatoes. Yum!

Rubystars

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
news
> Rubystars wrote:
>
> > "Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
> > k.net...
> >
> >>Try using a tabbouleh mix in place of couscous. Be
> >>sure to add lots of chopped parsley to the mix, and any
> >>other chopped vegetables you like.

> > I was actually thinking about tabbouleh this morning, wondering if it

would
> > be good in this kind of thing. I've never had it before though so I

might
> > want to try some on its own first.

> It really is excellent. There's a brand of packaged
> rice and grain dishes called Middle East (maybe Middle
> Eastern), and they sell a nice tabbouleh. IIRC, their
> "suggested serving" instructions *call* for some
> chopped tomato in it, along with the parsley and
> probably some other stuff (I've had it with some
> chopped cucumber in it as well, along with maybe some
> mint or basil.) 'Twouldn't be any great stretch to
> omit the chopped tomatoes from the mix, then stuff the
> mix into some hollowed-out tomatoes. Yum!

Near East is the brand I use of cous cous. I think I'll try the tabbouleh
idea next.

-Rubystars

Jonathan Ball

Rubystars wrote:

> "Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
> news >
>>Rubystars wrote:
>>

>>>"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
link.net...

>>>I was actually thinking about tabbouleh this morning, wondering if it

> would
>
>>>be good in this kind of thing. I've never had it before though so I

> might
>
>>>want to try some on its own first.

>>It really is excellent. There's a brand of packaged
>>rice and grain dishes called Middle East (maybe Middle
>>Eastern), and they sell a nice tabbouleh. IIRC, their
>>"suggested serving" instructions *call* for some
>>chopped tomato in it, along with the parsley and
>>probably some other stuff (I've had it with some
>>chopped cucumber in it as well, along with maybe some
>>mint or basil.) 'Twouldn't be any great stretch to
>>omit the chopped tomatoes from the mix, then stuff the
>>mix into some hollowed-out tomatoes. Yum!

> Near East

THAT'S the one. Gdit, I don't know why it wasn't
coming to me.

> is the brand I use of cous cous. I think I'll try the tabbouleh
> idea next.

Tabbouleh is really just cracked bulgur wheat. You can
buy the plain bulgur wheat, then add whatever herbs and
chopped vegetables suit you. I know you're trying to
watch your fat intake, but you should probably plan on
adding a small amount of olive oil to it. It's
traditional, it's delicious, it's a relatively
healthful oil, and a small quantity won't really make a
difference.

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
>>http://www.landolakes.com/ourCompany...roductID=63211

> Cool! I didn't know there was such a thing as fat free half & half. Thanks
> for the info.

No problem. I forgot that I also used some in a tomato bisque. The Alfredo sauce
was pretty good, and the desserts were excellent. One was a frozen custard (made
with artificial sweetener); the other one was fruit drizzled with a sauce made
of the fat-free half & half, just enough honey to make it sweet, and a bit of
Smart Squeeze for some butter flavor. The meal was for family members on
restricted diets.

> That looks like it would be good if I just used a little of it.

It's only 10 cals per tablespoon. Use as much as you need to make dish taste right.

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
>>Try using a tabbouleh mix in place of couscous. Be
>>sure to add lots of chopped parsley to the mix, and any
>>other chopped vegetables you like.

> I was actually thinking about tabbouleh this morning, wondering if it would
> be good in this kind of thing.

I think it would be. I like it served chilled. Not sure how it would be baked,
though.

> I've never had it before though so I might
> want to try some on its own first.

You might also try getting some plain bulghur wheat and using it instead of the
cous cous. It'll have more flavor (and be more nutritious) whether you serve it
hot or cold.

usual suspect

Jonathan Ball wrote:
<...>
> Tabbouleh is really just cracked bulgur wheat. You can buy the plain
> bulgur wheat, then add whatever herbs and chopped vegetables suit you.
> I know you're trying to watch your fat intake, but you should probably
> plan on adding a small amount of olive oil to it. It's traditional,
> it's delicious, it's a relatively healthful oil, and a small quantity
> won't really make a difference.

I agree. I've tried making it sans oil, but it NEEDS some oil to carry the
flavors. Just a little olive oil makes a big difference.

Rubystars

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Jonathan Ball wrote:
> <...>
> > Tabbouleh is really just cracked bulgur wheat. You can buy the plain
> > bulgur wheat, then add whatever herbs and chopped vegetables suit you.
> > I know you're trying to watch your fat intake, but you should probably
> > plan on adding a small amount of olive oil to it. It's traditional,
> > it's delicious, it's a relatively healthful oil, and a small quantity
> > won't really make a difference.

> I agree. I've tried making it sans oil, but it NEEDS some oil to carry the
> flavors. Just a little olive oil makes a big difference.

Ok

-Rubystars

Jonathan Ball

usual suspect wrote:

> Rubystars wrote:
>
>>> Try using a tabbouleh mix in place of couscous. Be
>>> sure to add lots of chopped parsley to the mix, and any
>>> other chopped vegetables you like.

>> I was actually thinking about tabbouleh this morning, wondering if it
>> would
>> be good in this kind of thing.

> I think it would be. I like it served chilled. Not sure how it would be
> baked, though.

Ooops! I didn't read to the end of the original post
to see that she baked the tomatoes. I don't think I'd
bake them with the tabbouleh in them; I'd serve them
just slightly chilled.

>> I've never had it before though so I might
>> want to try some on its own first.

> You might also try getting some plain bulghur wheat and using it instead
> of the cous cous. It'll have more flavor (and be more nutritious)
> whether you serve it hot or cold.

Jonathan Ball

Rubystars wrote:

> "usual suspect" > wrote in message
>
>>Jonathan Ball wrote:
>><...>
>>
>>>Tabbouleh is really just cracked bulgur wheat. You can buy the plain
>>>bulgur wheat, then add whatever herbs and chopped vegetables suit you.
>>>I know you're trying to watch your fat intake, but you should probably
>>>plan on adding a small amount of olive oil to it. It's traditional,
>>>it's delicious, it's a relatively healthful oil, and a small quantity
>>>won't really make a difference.

>>I agree. I've tried making it sans oil, but it NEEDS some oil to carry the
>>flavors. Just a little olive oil makes a big difference.

> Ok

Just listen to usual and me - we'll have you in
fighting trim in no time!

usual suspect

Jonathan Ball wrote:

>>> I was actually thinking about tabbouleh this morning, wondering if it
>>> would
>>> be good in this kind of thing.

>> I think it would be. I like it served chilled. Not sure how it would
>> be baked, though.

> Ooops! I didn't read to the end of the original post to see that she
> baked the tomatoes. I don't think I'd bake them with the tabbouleh in
> them; I'd serve them just slightly chilled.

I figured that's how you meant it.

<...>