usual suspect

Default energy bars (attn Strutz)

I forgot to add that one of the things I like about Clif Bars over many
of the others is that they don't have a coating that'll melt.

I have a procedure for making similar bars. It can be found at:
http://snipurl.com/4c1t

Another variation is to simply grind up a trail mix (I use a raw nut mix
with raisins and dates) in a blender. Add enough raisins, dates, and/or
dried fruit to bind it all together (delete the soymilk from the old
version). I form bite-sized pieces, dehydrate them overnight, and roll
in either ground coconut or some kind of nut meal to keep them from
being too sticky on the outside.

Just some ideas.

C. James Strutz

"usual suspect" > wrote in message

> I forgot to add that one of the things I like about Clif Bars over many
> of the others is that they don't have a coating that'll melt.

Yes, a useful feature here in the summer months or in Texas year round...

> I have a procedure for making similar bars. It can be found at:
> http://snipurl.com/4c1t

That sounds good. I'll give it a try.

> Another variation is to simply grind up a trail mix (I use a raw nut mix
> with raisins and dates) in a blender. Add enough raisins, dates, and/or
> dried fruit to bind it all together (delete the soymilk from the old
> version). I form bite-sized pieces, dehydrate them overnight, and roll
> in either ground coconut or some kind of nut meal to keep them from
> being too sticky on the outside.
>
> Just some ideas.

Thanks, they sound like good ideas. Energy bars are a convenient food source
during the fair weather months when I camp. I suppose I could take them with
me this time of year for cross country skiing or showshoeing, but these
aren't usually overnight trips.

BTW, I seem to remember you were looking for a source of shiitakes without
the grit. Take a look at www.myspicer.com for a good selection of dried
mushrooms (among other things) at reasonable prices. I bought 1 lb. bags of
bulk porcinis and sliced shiitakes and have been quite pleased with them.
Probably a better probability of no grit with sliced mushrooms than with
whole.

Kendy

>Energy bars are a convenient food source

Yes, a great snack. Have you tried Boulder Bars? I love the berry flavor and
buy them by the case!

-Kendy
(remove the 'pute' to reply!)
http://www.livejournal.com/users/missmuffcake/
C. James Strutz

"Kendy" > wrote in message
> >Energy bars are a convenient food source

> Yes, a great snack. Have you tried Boulder Bars? I love the berry flavor

and
> buy them by the case!

Yes, I've had Boulder Bars before. They are good.

What is Energy? fitz Diabetic 1 11-05-2010 08:51 AM
New Fasion Hats & Caps: Monster Energy Hats, Monster Energy DrinkHats, White Monster Energy Hats, Monster Energy Fitted Hats, Youth MonsterEnergy Hats, Monster Energy New Era Hats [email protected] General Cooking 0 01-04-2009 09:55 AM
Green Energy Summit 2009: Clean Technology, Renewable Energy, andSustainability Shaguf General Cooking 0 17-11-2008 05:51 AM
Energy Bars Travis & Jenn[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-04-2007 05:19 PM
ping c james strutz: unfinished business usual suspect Vegan 195 12-12-2004 02:37 PM