Donna Schakelaar

Default Just saying hello ,and a request for basil recipes...

Haven't been on afv for ages since I changed to using Opera and my ISP got
bought out. Finally got around to fixing up the settings.
For those who don't know me, I first came here as a friendly omnivore who
was eaing semi-veg and who was chasing interesting recipes. Then I got
pregnant and thanks to preggo sickness putting me completely off meat, I
turned lacto-ovo vegetarian.
Which I have been for the last 3 years.
Latest gossip is that I'm pregnant again with a boy this time that I am
convinced will be a rugby union front row forward. Due the first week of
May.
Still looking for great recipes amongst the trolling :-P

Now, I have a serious basil glut at the moment thanks to my original plants
self-seeding all over my herb patch and wouldn't mind a few recipes. Any
ideas?

Donna

ShantiP1

The first thing to come to mind with basile is Pesto sauce; but I figure you
probably know about that. It's one of my favorites on pasta. It's also good as
a snack as a dip for cherry tomatoes. In case you don't have a recipe, a
google.com search for pesto sauce will bring up a lot of recipes to try. I
prefer the traditional one with basil, oil, garlic, parmesan (or parmesan tofu
clone), and pignoli nuts; but there are recipes out for for walnut pesto, etc.
I also like fresh basil cute in thin slivers and put on thick slices of tomato
sprinkled with good olive oil, salt and pepper and broiled on low till heated
through but not till basil burns. If you have some fresh oregano, you can put
some of that on as well. You can also sprinkle mix some parmesan with the
herbs, salt and pepper, sprinkle that on the tomato slices and sprinkle with
the olive oil and broil till the bread crumbs are lightly browned.
Tomato/basil soup is also very good. Again, use the google search to find
tomato soup recipes.
Enjoy!

Namaste!
June (basil lover)
usual suspect

Donna Schakelaar wrote:
> Haven't been on afv for ages since I changed to using Opera and my ISP
> got bought out. Finally got around to fixing up the settings.

Too bad.

> For those who don't know me, I first came here as a friendly omnivore

....and quickly turned into a mean-spirited, whining liberal dope. But
she IS cute.

> who was eaing semi-veg and who was chasing interesting recipes. Then I
> got pregnant and thanks to preggo sickness putting me completely off
> meat, I turned lacto-ovo vegetarian.
> Which I have been for the last 3 years.
> Latest gossip is that I'm pregnant again with a boy this time that I am
> convinced will be a rugby union front row forward. Due the first week of
> May.

Congrats. He'll rebel and grow up conservative.

> Still looking for great recipes amongst the trolling :-P
>
> Now, I have a serious basil glut at the moment thanks to my original
> plants self-seeding all over my herb patch and wouldn't mind a few
> recipes. Any ideas?

Pesto! Find Thai recipes calling for basil. I also like to sautee garlic
in olive oil and put whole basil leaves on hot pasta; the heat from the
pasta wilts the basil just enough to release the essential oils. If you
can't use it all and don't want to dry it, you can whiz up leaves with
some olive oil (just enough to make a paste, a la pesto) and freeze in
ice cube trays.

T5NF

Donna wrote:

>Haven't been on afv for ages

<snip>
Me either....nice to see you again :-).

>Latest gossip is that I'm pregnant again with a boy this time

<snip>
Congratulations! I'm sure Hannah Banana is thrilled :-).

>Still looking for great recipes amongst the trolling :-P
>
>Now, I have a serious basil glut at the moment thanks to my original plants
>self-seeding all over my herb patch and wouldn't mind a few recipes. Any
>ideas?

Basil hummus is nice... just add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of leaves sans stems that
you've chopped very finely to a basic hummus recipe.

You could make a tofu marinade with olive oil, cider vinegar, tamari, garlic &
basil...

Here's a lemonade recipe I pinched off the net:

Basil Lemonade

1/2 cup rinsed, lightly packed fresh basil leaves

3 Tablespoons sugar

4 cups water

1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice

In a 1 1/2 to 2-quart bowl, combine 1/2 cup rinsed, lightly packed fresh basil
leaves and 3 T. sugar. With a wooden spoon, crush leaves with sugar until
thoroughly bruised. Add 4 cups water and 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice.
Stir until sugar is dissolved, l to 2 minutes. Taste and add more sugar if
desired. Pour through fine strainer into ice-filled glasses. Garnish with
springs of fresh basil.

And you can do what I did this year with my excess cinnamon basil.. tie it up
in bunches and let it dry then give it to friends & relatives :-).

hth,

Cheers,

Fritz

Kate L Pugh

Donna Schakelaar > wrote:
> Now, I have a serious basil glut at the moment thanks to my original
> plants self-seeding all over my herb patch and wouldn't mind a few
> recipes. Any ideas?

Welcome back Donna. Here's one. Throw extra basil in, since you have lots.

Broccoli Sauce

A tested recipe from
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...oli-sauce.html
Original version from the Fatfree Archives. This is very good served with
pasta - return the pasta to the pan after draining, add the broccoli sauce,
and mix well.

Serves 2-4

* 1 head broccoli, cooked, including peeled stems
* 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
* about 15g (1/2 oz) fresh basil
* 1/2 - 1 tsp garlic puree or pressed garlic
* Optional - a few Tbsp hummous

Put it all in the blender and whizz to a rough puree. This makes a fairly
stiff mixture; dilute with water to make a thinner consistency.

Sarah Carter

Donna Schakelaar > wrote in message =
news
> Now, I have a serious basil glut at the moment thanks to my original =

plants=20
> self-seeding all over my herb patch and wouldn't mind a few recipes. =

Any=20
> ideas?

Welcome back Donna )

When I got given some basil, I made some roasted tomato and basil soup. =
I cut half a dozen tomatoes in half and put them on a baking trap in the =
oven with some unpeeled cloves of garlic, an quartered onion and a =
courgette.

After roasting on around gas mark 4 for 45 minuntes, I peel all the veg, =
chop it up and put it into a big pan. I add some basil and heat it up =
adding a tin of tomatoes and some water. Simmer for a bit and them =
serve.

I blend it until smooth for my husband, and I have it as it is with some =
bread.

Sarah
--=20

Donna Schakelaar

I definitely recognise that basil lemonade recipe - it's from RecipeZaar
and I've been making it all Wet Season! Worth trying. I quite like it
although DH prefers his basil in much smaller doses LOL.

Donna