FoodBanter.com

-   Vegan (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/)
-   -   Aluminum From Cans? (https://www.foodbanter.com/vegan/18492-aluminum-cans.html)

Mike 31-12-2003 07:20 PM

Aluminum From Cans?

Hi,

Does anyone have knowledge as to whether or not aluminum or anything
undesirable leaches into canned foodstuffs (spaghetti sauce, etc.)?

Thanks

C. James Strutz 31-12-2003 09:02 PM

Aluminum From Cans?

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have knowledge as to whether or not aluminum or anything
> undesirable leaches into canned foodstuffs (spaghetti sauce, etc.)?

Mmm, I have always heard that you shouldn't cook in unanodized aluminum
cookware since it's said to be carcinogenic. Anodized cookware is okay.

Aluminum soda cans are coated so they don't present a danger. Tin is okay as
long as you don't allow the insides to oxidize. Don't store food in open tin
cans. Unleaded glass and ceramic is fine. One exception to glass/ceramic is
when the lip/rim area of tumblers and mugs are decorated with lead based (or
mercury, chromium, cadmium) colors. I have heard there are issues with PET
plastic bottles. Some studies have shown a higher incidence of cancer in
factory workers who produce it. It's thought to be attributed to toxic
chemicals used in their manufacture. And, of course, you know not to
microwave food in plastic containers that are not approved for that purpose.
I've also heard that styrofoam releases gas but I don't know how that
effects foodstuffs that are contained in them.

Rubystars 31-12-2003 11:23 PM

Aluminum From Cans?

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have knowledge as to whether or not aluminum or anything
> undesirable leaches into canned foodstuffs (spaghetti sauce, etc.)?
>
> Thanks

Soda cans do have aluminum get into the contents.

Also don't cover moist foods with foil.

-Rubystars

t.racer 05-01-2004 07:01 PM

Aluminum From Cans?

Also, I think food cans are made of steel rather than tin. What's with
all the recipes that suggest cooking in foil? I never do that because
a chemistry professor once told the class aluminum isn't good for you.
Isn't it found in the brains of Alzheimer's victims?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:23:58 GMT, "Rubystars" >
wrote:

. com...

http://www.inetworld.net/thrill/

Halcitron 07-01-2004 03:46 AM

Aluminum From Cans?

>From: "C. James Strutz"
>Newsgroups: alt.food.vegan
>Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2003 16:02:32 -0500

>Mmm, I have always heard that you shouldn't cook in unanodized aluminum
>cookware since it's said to be carcinogenic. Anodized cookware is okay.
>
>Aluminum soda cans are coated so they don't present a danger. Tin is okay as
>long as you don't allow the insides to oxidize. Don't store food in open tin
>cans. Unleaded glass and ceramic is fine. One exception to glass/ceramic is
>when the lip/rim area of tumblers and mugs are decorated with lead based (or
>mercury, chromium, cadmium) colors. I have heard there are issues with PET
>plastic bottles. Some studies have shown a higher incidence of cancer in
>factory workers who produce it. It's thought to be attributed to toxic
>chemicals used in their manufacture. And, of course, you know not to
>microwave food in plastic containers that are not approved for that purpose.
>I've also heard that styrofoam releases gas but I don't know how that
>effects foodstuffs that are contained in them.

#
A fear of death will kill you sooner than a respect for life. Embrace death
and live within its presence.
#

caveat lector

Halcitron misc.survivalism
Check your six and know when to duck.
NRA Member since 2002
The Law of the Land, is the weapon in your hand.

Smith & Wesson starts where the Bill of Rights stop.