Mike

Default Aluminum From Cans?

Hi,

Does anyone have knowledge as to whether or not aluminum or anything
undesirable leaches into canned foodstuffs (spaghetti sauce, etc.)?

Thanks

C. James Strutz

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have knowledge as to whether or not aluminum or anything
> undesirable leaches into canned foodstuffs (spaghetti sauce, etc.)?

Mmm, I have always heard that you shouldn't cook in unanodized aluminum
cookware since it's said to be carcinogenic. Anodized cookware is okay.

Aluminum soda cans are coated so they don't present a danger. Tin is okay as
long as you don't allow the insides to oxidize. Don't store food in open tin
cans. Unleaded glass and ceramic is fine. One exception to glass/ceramic is
when the lip/rim area of tumblers and mugs are decorated with lead based (or
mercury, chromium, cadmium) colors. I have heard there are issues with PET
plastic bottles. Some studies have shown a higher incidence of cancer in
factory workers who produce it. It's thought to be attributed to toxic
chemicals used in their manufacture. And, of course, you know not to
microwave food in plastic containers that are not approved for that purpose.
I've also heard that styrofoam releases gas but I don't know how that
effects foodstuffs that are contained in them.

Rubystars

"Mike" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have knowledge as to whether or not aluminum or anything
> undesirable leaches into canned foodstuffs (spaghetti sauce, etc.)?
>
> Thanks

Soda cans do have aluminum get into the contents.

Also don't cover moist foods with foil.

-Rubystars

t.racer

Also, I think food cans are made of steel rather than tin. What's with
all the recipes that suggest cooking in foil? I never do that because
a chemistry professor once told the class aluminum isn't good for you.
Isn't it found in the brains of Alzheimer's victims?

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 23:23:58 GMT, "Rubystars" >
wrote:

>"Mike" > wrote in message
. com...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Does anyone have knowledge as to whether or not aluminum or anything
>> undesirable leaches into canned foodstuffs (spaghetti sauce, etc.)?
>>
>> Thanks

>Soda cans do have aluminum get into the contents.
>
>Also don't cover moist foods with foil.
>
>-Rubystars

http://www.inetworld.net/thrill/

New - 7 oz. cans Janet Bostwick[_2_] General Cooking 48 29-04-2009 03:19 PM
#10 Cans Revisited Spud General Cooking 20 10-01-2008 01:11 AM
Beer Cans Wanted (Pub Beer Cans are Art) c5 Beer 11 23-01-2005 06:25 PM
Beer Cans Wanted (Pub Beer Cans are Art) c5 Beer 3 14-01-2005 05:32 PM