nobody

Default First Suspected U.S. Mad Cow Case Found

http://tinyurl.com/3d853

Priapus

"nobody" > wrote in message

> http://tinyurl.com/3d853

Fact: about 250 Americans die every year from Creutzfeldt-Jakob
disease (nvCJD). "Mad Cow", or bovine spongiform encephalopathy
(BSE), has been suspected in U.S. cattle for some time.

Unfortunately, the USDA didn't do anything about

While E.coli, Salmonella, and Listeria are far more dangerous.

Priapus

"Priapus" > wrote in message news:...
> "nobody" > wrote in message
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/3d853

> Fact: about 250 Americans die every year from Creutzfeldt-Jakob
> disease (nvCJD). "Mad Cow", or bovine spongiform encephalopathy
> (BSE), has been suspected in U.S. cattle for some time.

Unfortunately, the USDA didn't do anything about it until 1997, and to
this day, they refuse to improve their testing methods or release
documentation. The term "cover-up" has been used by many journalists
who have been following this debacle.

E.coli, Salmonella, and Listeria are far more dangerous, and kill more
than 500 people every year in the U.S.

Rubystars

"nobody" > wrote in message

> http://tinyurl.com/3d853

This makes me furious:

"muscle cuts of meat have almost no risk."

Almost isn't good enough! Why the hell did they put that into the food
supply?

-Rubystars

Beach Runner

Default First Suspected U.S. Mad Cow Case Found - Confirmed

It is confirmed by British investigators, no longer suspected,
it is Mad Cow disease.

U.K. Lab Confirms Mad Cow Case in U.S.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._he_me/mad_cow

Rubystars wrote:

>"nobody" > wrote in message
>

>>http://tinyurl.com/3d853
>>

>This makes me furious:
>
>"muscle cuts of meat have almost no risk."
>
>Almost isn't good enough! Why the hell did they put that into the food
>supply?
>
>-Rubystars

Jonathan Ball

Beach Runner wrote:

> It is confirmed by British investigators, no longer suspected,
> it is Mad Cow disease.
>
> U.K. Lab Confirms Mad Cow Case in U.S.
>

> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._he_me/mad_cow

The story begins:

WASHINGTON - A British lab provided initial
independent confirmation Thursday that the United
States has its first case of mad cow disease, U.S.
agriculture officials said. Federal investigators
labored to trace the path the infected animal took
from birth to slaughter.

To be accurate, the story needs to read: "...the
United States has its first DETECTED case of mad cow
disease..."

It is a reasonable position to suggest the USDA
inspection protocol has been inadequate. This page -
http://www.usda.gov/news/releases/2002/02/0070.htm -
discusses some of the changes the USDA made in recent
years. It also contains this regrettable bit of
industry promotion:

USDA and HHS are reporting the status of the action
steps first outlined Nov. 30, 2001 following the
release of the landmark risk analysis on BSE
conducted by Harvard University. The report showed
that the risk of BSE occurring in the United States
is extremely low.