Rubystars

Default Going to make hummus

I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
"The Can Opener Gourmet."

Here's the recipe:

One 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (same as chick peas), drained.
2 teaspoons bottled lemon juice.
1 tablespoon olive oil (or other vegetable oil).
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
1/8 teaspoon salt.
1/8 teaspoon paprika.

Puree the beans. In a bowl mix the pureed beans with the remaining
ingredients. (It has a suggestion on adding extra oil or water if it's
too thick.)

Now my question is this, could it be made without the oil? Should I
add some water or broth or something to compensate for not putting the
oil in if I try it that way? I've never tried to make a recipe that
called for oil without oil before.

The reason I'd like to try this one is because I have everything I
need for the recipe except the garbanzos. I want to get rid of the oil
because I don't want to add another 120 calories to the recipe
needlessly.

-Rubystars
Plug

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
m...
> I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
> finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
> "The Can Opener Gourmet."

Hummus is easy to make and there are lots of variations; it really is a
question of taste. I always use fresh garlic because I always have some
handy and I use tahini (sesame paste) because it keeps for ages in the
fridge and gives the hummus some oomph. I never cook beans from their raw
state; canned are fine for me. I would add the oil because it does give the
dip some flavour, but why not experiment - you can always add the oil later?
If you really don't want to add the oil, I would suggest adding water to get
the right consistency - broth might impair the flavour too much. Hummus
works well with cucumber, tomatoes and raw carrots on the side, with a warm
pita bread it makes a hearty snack.
Deb

MrFalafel

(Rubystars) wrote in message om>...
> I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
> finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
> "The Can Opener Gourmet."
>
> Here's the recipe:
>
> One 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (same as chick peas), drained.
> 2 teaspoons bottled lemon juice.
> 1 tablespoon olive oil (or other vegetable oil).
> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
> 1/8 teaspoon salt.
> 1/8 teaspoon paprika.
>
> Puree the beans. In a bowl mix the pureed beans with the remaining
> ingredients. (It has a suggestion on adding extra oil or water if it's
> too thick.)
>
> Now my question is this, could it be made without the oil? Should I
> add some water or broth or something to compensate for not putting the
> oil in if I try it that way? I've never tried to make a recipe that
> called for oil without oil before.
>
> The reason I'd like to try this one is because I have everything I
> need for the recipe except the garbanzos. I want to get rid of the oil
> because I don't want to add another 120 calories to the recipe
> needlessly.
>
> -Rubystars

Not a specific answer to your question but here's a list of two dozen
hummus recipes that are 'fat free' or low fat (ie without oil). I'd
suggest looking through them for one that looks good to you and going
for that rather than changing around the one you have now.
http://www.fatfree.com/recipes/hummus/

To me, tahini paste is the key to good hummus but as that's got lots
of oil, you'd probably want to leave that out, too.
Kate Pugh

Plug > wrote:
> I would add the oil because it does give the dip some flavour, but
> why not experiment - you can always add the oil later? If you
> really don't want to add the oil, I would suggest adding water to
> get the right consistency - broth might impair the flavour too much.

It's not going to taste like hummous without tahini in anyway, so I'd
say leave out the oil, add the broth and call it chickpea dip. Either
that or use fresh lemon juice instead of bottled - the zinginess will
mean you won't miss the oil at all.

I never put oil in my hummous - it makes it too heavy - but I do use tahini.

Kake
MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Rubystars of
http://groups.google.com said:

>Now my question is this, could it be made without the oil? Should I
>add some water or broth or something to compensate for not putting the
>oil in if I try it that way? I've never tried to make a recipe that
>called for oil without oil before.

To my experience you can replace it with water, but use less water and
some more spices. Getting some real garlic in stead of garlic powder
would also be an improvement.
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856

usual suspect

Rubystars wrote:
> I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
> finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
> "The Can Opener Gourmet."

I'm surprised Strutz hasn't chimed in on this. He's a snob who looks
down on "soup can" type recipes.

> Here's the recipe:
>
> One 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (same as chick peas), drained.
> 2 teaspoons bottled lemon juice.

A fresh-squeezed lemon will make it taste a lot better, and it's easy
enough to do (not much more difficult than unscrewing the Re*Lemon bottle).

> 1 tablespoon olive oil (or other vegetable oil).

Use the olive oil. Olive oil is polyunsaturated and documented to
elevate HDL, which helps lower LDL. It's one of the best possible fats
you can have in your diet.

> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.

I know it's a "can-opener" recipe, but I'd only use fresh garlic. Or try
roasted garlic if you have a little time. That's pretty easy -- cut a
head of garlic in half, drizzle with oil, and roast it until it gets all
soft and gooey.

> 1/8 teaspoon salt.
> 1/8 teaspoon paprika.
>
> Puree the beans. In a bowl mix the pureed beans with the remaining
> ingredients. (It has a suggestion on adding extra oil or water if it's
> too thick.)
>
> Now my question is this, could it be made without the oil?

Yes. It needs some tahini (sesame butter) and cumin to be proper hummus,
though.

> Should I
> add some water or broth or something to compensate for not putting the
> oil in if I try it that way?

Yes, just a bit.

> I've never tried to make a recipe that
> called for oil without oil before.

It can be left out of many recipes. Olive oil shouldn't be treated as an
unhealthy ingredient like shortening or butter or lard or margarine.
It's heart-healthy and lends a great flavor to foods (especially hummus,
imo).

> The reason I'd like to try this one is because I have everything I
> need for the recipe except the garbanzos. I want to get rid of the oil
> because I don't want to add another 120 calories to the recipe
> needlessly.

I'd find something else to cut back on (sugar, saturated fats) if you
use a polyunsaturated oil like olive or canola.

Jonathan Ball

Default Going to make See James Strut pungle, or I'll know the reasonwhy

usual suspect wrote:

> Rubystars wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
>> finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
>> "The Can Opener Gourmet."

> I'm surprised Strutz hasn't chimed in on this. He's a snob who looks
> down on "soup can" type recipes.

I'm thinking of doing a cookbook just to spite that
pimply-assed beanpole. I'll call it either "The 7-11
Gourment" or "The Circle 'K' Gourmet". It will be a
bunch of recipes featuring only things that can be
bought at those convenience stores, preferably things
in cans.

>> Here's the recipe:
>>
>> One 15 ounce can garbanzo beans (same as chick peas), drained.
>> 2 teaspoons bottled lemon juice.

> A fresh-squeezed lemon will make it taste a lot better, and it's easy
> enough to do (not much more difficult than unscrewing the Re*Lemon bottle).
>
>> 1 tablespoon olive oil (or other vegetable oil).

> Use the olive oil. Olive oil is polyunsaturated and documented to
> elevate HDL, which helps lower LDL.

I think it improves the ratio of the two, doesn't it?
I didn't think it actually removed the LDL.

> It's one of the best possible fats
> you can have in your diet.

Plus it just tastes good.

>> 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.

> I know it's a "can-opener" recipe, but I'd only use fresh garlic. Or try
> roasted garlic if you have a little time. That's pretty easy -- cut a
> head of garlic in half, drizzle with oil, and roast it until it gets all
> soft and gooey.
>
>> 1/8 teaspoon salt.
>> 1/8 teaspoon paprika.
>>
>> Puree the beans. In a bowl mix the pureed beans with the remaining
>> ingredients. (It has a suggestion on adding extra oil or water if it's
>> too thick.)
>>
>> Now my question is this, could it be made without the oil?

> Yes. It needs some tahini (sesame butter) and cumin to be proper hummus,
> though.
>
>> Should I
>> add some water or broth or something to compensate for not putting the
>> oil in if I try it that way?

> Yes, just a bit.
>
>> I've never tried to make a recipe that
>> called for oil without oil before.

> It can be left out of many recipes. Olive oil shouldn't be treated as an
> unhealthy ingredient like shortening or butter or lard or margarine.
> It's heart-healthy and lends a great flavor to foods (especially hummus,
> imo).
>
>> The reason I'd like to try this one is because I have everything I
>> need for the recipe except the garbanzos. I want to get rid of the oil
>> because I don't want to add another 120 calories to the recipe
>> needlessly.

> I'd find something else to cut back on (sugar, saturated fats) if you
> use a polyunsaturated oil like olive or canola.

C. James Strutz

"usual suspect" > wrote in message
> Rubystars wrote:
> > I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
> > finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
> > "The Can Opener Gourmet."

> I'm surprised Strutz hasn't chimed in on this. He's a snob who looks
> down on "soup can" type recipes.

I don't thumb my nose at all canned ingredients, only when people do things
like dump Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup in otherwise perfectly good
tomato sauce. Canned garbanzos are okay.

BTW, I like to get creative (yes, believe it or not) with hummus. I make a
sort of southwestern hummus using pinto beans, tahini, olive oil, cilantro,
cumin, chipotle powder, garlic, and lime juice. It's okay to use canned
pinto beans too...

C. James Strutz

"Jonathan Ball" > wrote in message
k.net...
> usual suspect wrote:
>
> > Rubystars wrote:
> >
> >> I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
> >> finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
> >> "The Can Opener Gourmet."

> > I'm surprised Strutz hasn't chimed in on this. He's a snob who looks
> > down on "soup can" type recipes.

> I'm thinking of doing a cookbook just to spite that
> pimply-assed beanpole. I'll call it either "The 7-11
> Gourment" or "The Circle 'K' Gourmet". It will be a
> bunch of recipes featuring only things that can be
> bought at those convenience stores, preferably things
> in cans.

Just don't get caught plagiarizing recipes from the can labels.

Rubystars

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I may just use a little less oil, like maybe a teaspoon instead of a
tablespoon. I'm trying to lose weight and have a long way to go so that's
why I'm trying not to add needless calories.

I'll also check out that page Mr. Falafel posted.

-Rubystars

usual suspect

Jonathan Ball wrote:
>>> I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
>>> finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
>>> "The Can Opener Gourmet."

>> I'm surprised Strutz hasn't chimed in on this. He's a snob who looks
>> down on "soup can" type recipes.

> I'm thinking of doing a cookbook just to spite that pimply-assed
> beanpole. I'll call it either "The 7-11 Gourment" or "The Circle 'K'
> Gourmet". It will be a bunch of recipes featuring only things that can
> be bought at those convenience stores, preferably things in cans.

LOL! It sounds promising. You should do it.

<...>
>>> 1 tablespoon olive oil (or other vegetable oil).

>> Use the olive oil. Olive oil is polyunsaturated and documented to
>> elevate HDL, which helps lower LDL.

> I think it improves the ratio of the two, doesn't it? I didn't think it
> actually removed the LDL.

First, let me correct myself. Olive oil is monounsaturated (duh).
Second, HDL acts as a transporter for LDL -- so elevating HDL will have
a beneficial effect with LDL beyond just improving the ratio. This is
why doctors and nurtitionists often focus on elevating HDL through
exercise and diet rather than simply reducing LDL with medications or
restrictive diets.

Here's a simple explanation:
High density lipoproteins (HDL's) are known as good cholesterol
because high levels of HDL's are associated with a reduced risk
of heart disease. HDL's unstick LDL's from vessel walls and
transport cholesterol out of the arteries.
http://medic.med.uth.tmc.edu/ptnt/00000389.htm

I can find more technical studies if you'd like.

>> It's one of the best possible fats you can have in your diet.

> Plus it just tastes good.

Yes, it does. Many commercially-prepared "low-fat" and "fat-free" foods
use sugar to improve the flavor and feel of the reduced or missing fat.
Sugar, imo, is a lot worse for people than unsaturated fats like olive
and canola.

<snip>

usual suspect

C. James Strutz wrote:
>>>I'm thinking of making some hummus tomorrow or the day after because I
>>>finally found a simple and easy recipe for it in a cook book called
>>>"The Can Opener Gourmet."

>>I'm surprised Strutz hasn't chimed in on this. He's a snob who looks
>>down on "soup can" type recipes.

> I don't thumb my nose at all canned ingredients, only when people do things
> like dump Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup in otherwise perfectly good
> tomato sauce. Canned garbanzos are okay.
>
> BTW, I like to get creative (yes, believe it or not) with hummus. I make a
> sort of southwestern hummus using pinto beans, tahini, olive oil, cilantro,
> cumin, chipotle powder, garlic, and lime juice. It's okay to use canned
> pinto beans too...

Try it sometime using pepitas (pumpkin seeds) whizzed up with the oil
instead of tahini. The chipotles are fine, but fresh jalapeños are
really good in hummus.

Norma

"Rubystars" > wrote in message
igy.com...
> Thanks everyone for the replies.
>
> I may just use a little less oil, like maybe a teaspoon instead of a
> tablespoon. I'm trying to lose weight and have a long way to go so that's
> why I'm trying not to add needless calories.
>
> I'll also check out that page Mr. Falafel posted.
>
> -Rubystars

I worked in the Middle East and it is a delicious tidbit. Have you tried
the eggplant things and ollives. They are very good for weight loss. I
often go to the deli counter and get the best medley of olives. They are a
nice snack items to be used with pasta, sphaghettie without meat, etc.
There are also some desserts that are made with thyme and other spices that
help with weight loss. You can get the bread requirement filled at
breakfast time. In the Middle East that spice is called Zatar, and I buy it
at a local Middle Eastern grocer.

Best of luck I have lost 4 dress sizes and look quite good, if I have to say
it myself. You can get any fashion at a size 6. Norma

Rubystars

"Norma" > wrote in message
<snip>
> I worked in the Middle East and it is a delicious tidbit. Have you tried
> the eggplant things and ollives. They are very good for weight loss. I
> often go to the deli counter and get the best medley of olives. They are

> nice snack items to be used with pasta, sphaghettie without meat, etc.
> There are also some desserts that are made with thyme and other spices

that
> help with weight loss. You can get the bread requirement filled at
> breakfast time. In the Middle East that spice is called Zatar, and I buy

it
> at a local Middle Eastern grocer.

That sounds good. I've never had hummus or that other stuff so I'm not sure
what they're "supposed" to taste like, so if I come out with something that
tastes half way good then I'll probably be happy.

I don't want to eat too many olives though because they can be fattening.

> Best of luck I have lost 4 dress sizes and look quite good, if I have to

say
> it myself. You can get any fashion at a size 6. Norma

Thanks and congratulations.

-Rubystars

Rubystars

Well I made the recipe with less oil and a little more water and it
turned out good. I'm going to try some others later on.