Nordo

Default Expired tofu

A package of tofu went hiding in the back of my fridge and now it's a week
past its sell date. Is it dangerous to eat expired tofu, or will it just
taste funny? It's been completely sealed and refridgerated the whole time,
so how bad could it be, right?

If anyone knows the deal on spoiling tofu, please let me know.

Thanks,
-Nordo

usual suspect

Nordo wrote:
> A package of tofu went hiding in the back of my fridge and now it's a week
> past its sell date. Is it dangerous to eat expired tofu, or will it just
> taste funny? It's been completely sealed and refridgerated the whole time,
> so how bad could it be, right?
>
> If anyone knows the deal on spoiling tofu, please let me know.

My experience with tofu is that when it goes, it goes. You can open it
and smell to see if it's sour; I wouldn't eat it if it's past due. I've
had tofu that's gone off *before* the expiry date -- complete with
curdled water and the most offensive odor when the package was opened. I
gagged.

My two-cents: life's WAY too short to take chances with $1.50 worth of
past-date coagulated soy milk. I'd toss it.

MEow

While frolicking around in alt.food.vegan, Nordo of said:

>A package of tofu went hiding in the back of my fridge and now it's a week
>past its sell date. Is it dangerous to eat expired tofu, or will it just
>taste funny? It's been completely sealed and refridgerated the whole time,
>so how bad could it be, right?
>
>If anyone knows the deal on spoiling tofu, please let me know.

Try smelling it. If it smells wrong, throw it out; if it smells fine,
it's probably safe to eat. Don't take any risks with food which has
gone bad, but don't throw out perfectly good food, just because it's
pasts its sell date. The sell date is often set earlier than the time
that the product will actually go bad, because that the shops think
"better safe than sorry".
--
Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18
ICQ# 251532856
MrFalafel

"Nordo" > wrote in message >...
> A package of tofu went hiding in the back of my fridge and now it's a week
> past its sell date. Is it dangerous to eat expired tofu, or will it just
> taste funny? It's been completely sealed and refridgerated the whole time,
> so how bad could it be, right?
>
> If anyone knows the deal on spoiling tofu, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nordo

Food Safety tip:

"If in doubt, throw it out"
usual suspect

the androgynous dane wrote:
> Try smelling it. If it smells wrong, throw it out; if it smells fine,
> it's probably safe to eat. Don't take any risks with food which has
> gone bad, but don't throw out perfectly good food, just because it's
> pasts its sell date. The sell date is often set earlier than the time
> that the product will actually go bad, because that the shops think
> "better safe than sorry".

Good answer from the chunky ditz who likes to drink water she's kept
herbs in:
http://tinyurl.com/tlcq

Careful, Nordo, about taking advice from people like her.

WorldsWorst

Oh dear - another idiot who can't do up his own bootlaces!
"Nordo" > wrote in message
> A package of tofu went hiding in the back of my fridge and now it's a week
> past its sell date. Is it dangerous to eat expired tofu, or will it just
> taste funny? It's been completely sealed and refridgerated the whole

time,
> so how bad could it be, right?
>
> If anyone knows the deal on spoiling tofu, please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> -Nordo

---