MrFalafel

Default Chapati

Chapati

250g (8 oz) wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
200ml (1/3 pint) water (approximately)

Place the flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre,
gradually stir in the water and work to a soft supple dough. Knead for
10 minutes then cover and leave in a cool place for 30 minutes. Knead
again very thoroughly, then divide into 12 pieces. Roll out each piece
on a floured surface into a thin round pancake.

Lightly grease a griddle or heavy-based frying pan with a little oil
or margarine and place over a moderate heat. Add chapatti and cook
until blisters appear. Press down with a spatula then turn and cook on
the other side until lightly coloured. Remove from the pan and keep
warm while cooking the rest. Brush a little margarine on one side and
serve warm.

- Naomi Good
Roy

I love chappatis! Being lazy this is my bread machine cheating method.... no
claims for authenticity. And don't blame me if it damages your bread
machine. Substituting wholemeal flour for the atta flour does not produce
such good results.

150g atta (chappati) flour
150g strong white flour
1 tsp salt
200ml water (or as required for slightly wet dough)

Add all to bread machine and run pizza dough cycle (45 minutes using
Panasonic).

Remove dough, spit into 6 - 10 balls, cover and rest for 30 minutes.

Rollout and cook on hot dry cast iron griddle, turning once. Can place under
hot grill to puff up or reheat.

Enjoy.

Roy

"MrFalafel" > wrote in message
> Chapati
>
> 250g (8 oz) wholemeal flour
> 1 tsp salt
> 200ml (1/3 pint) water (approximately)
>
> Place the flour and salt in a bowl. Make a well in the centre,
> gradually stir in the water and work to a soft supple dough. Knead for
> 10 minutes then cover and leave in a cool place for 30 minutes. Knead
> again very thoroughly, then divide into 12 pieces. Roll out each piece
> on a floured surface into a thin round pancake.
>
> Lightly grease a griddle or heavy-based frying pan with a little oil
> or margarine and place over a moderate heat. Add chapatti and cook
> until blisters appear. Press down with a spatula then turn and cook on
> the other side until lightly coloured. Remove from the pan and keep
> warm while cooking the rest. Brush a little margarine on one side and
> serve warm.
>
> - Naomi Good

nemo

Atta's the flour for Samosas too. The restaurant at the Mary Ward Centre in
London does Samosas made with wholemeal flour. They're very nice but not as
good as with atta flour.

A lot of their food is Vegan and the prices are very reasonable too.

Plug:

http://www.marywardcentre.ac.uk/