Posted to alt.food.vegan

Default Less meat could cut climate costs by $20 trillion (!) until 2050

These are dramatic figures: If we do not reduce our meat consumption,
it will cost us US$ 20 000 000 000 000 by the year 2050!!
That's the conclusion of a study by Elke Stehfest and colleagues of
the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, see
http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ate-costs.html

$20 trillion or $20000 billion, this is the share of the costs of
fighting the consequences of global warming that we could save by
reducing meat consumption globally - or pay the price! With the
current economic crisis in mind, we simply cannot afford to ignore
this situation. Let's contribute to a change in our diets, away from
animal products, away from livestock, let's explore alternatives!

For more information on environmental issues of livestock, check out
http://www.futurefood.org/globalbene...ronment_en.php

For a global overview of alternatives to animal products, check out
http://www.futurefood.org/index_en.php
Posted to alt.food.vegan

Mymagic wrote:
> These are dramatic figures: If we do not reduce our meat consumption,
> it will cost us US$ 20 000 000 000 000 by the year 2050!!
> That's the conclusion of a study by Elke Stehfest and colleagues of
> the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, see
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ate-costs.html
>
> $20 trillion or $20000 billion, this is the share of the costs of
> fighting the consequences of global warming that we could save by
> reducing meat consumption globally - or pay the price! With the
> current economic crisis in mind, we simply cannot afford to ignore
> this situation. Let's contribute to a change in our diets, away from
> animal products, away from livestock, let's explore alternatives!
>

> For more information on environmental issues of livestock, check out
> http://www.futurefood.org/globalbene...ronment_en.php
>
> For a global overview of alternatives to animal products, check out
> http://www.futurefood.org/index_en.php

Thanks for posting that.

It seems strange that this type of news doesn't get to the general
public. - I wonder why?
Posted to alt.food.vegan

There is no credible proof that man made global warming is a fact. That is
the reason they changed the name to "climate change" instead.
The Earth is actually entering a cooling phase along with Mars. This is due
to the Sun not to mankind.
The Earth has in the past both warmed and cooled long before the industrial
revolution. If you want to worry about the costs to our economy,
stop Obama from spending money we don't have! He'll reach 20 trillion by the
end of his second year! Sure, the meat industry has an
environmental cost. Just look at waste management alone.
I became vegan because I am very pro life, both animal and even more so,
human. If you want to go vegan for health or because of animal cruelty
or just for kicks then go for it. Just don't try and persuade people by
using false arguements and junk science.

I sometimes think I am the only conservative thinking vegan. Please don't
fall for the liberal scam of "global warming/climate change" it is merely
a means to control our economy with the trading of carbon credits etc.
Think of the American jobs lost by the elimination of the incandescent bulb.
Now they are replaced by Chinese made bulbs containing mercury! Stop this
environmentalist insanity.

Go vegan!

David

"Mymagic" > wrote in message
> These are dramatic figures: If we do not reduce our meat consumption,
> it will cost us US$ 20 000 000 000 000 by the year 2050!!
> That's the conclusion of a study by Elke Stehfest and colleagues of
> the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency, see
> http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ate-costs.html
>
> $20 trillion or $20000 billion, this is the share of the costs of
> fighting the consequences of global warming that we could save by
> reducing meat consumption globally - or pay the price! With the
> current economic crisis in mind, we simply cannot afford to ignore
> this situation. Let's contribute to a change in our diets, away from
> animal products, away from livestock, let's explore alternatives!
>

> For more information on environmental issues of livestock, check out
> http://www.futurefood.org/globalbene...ronment_en.php
>
> For a global overview of alternatives to animal products, check out
> http://www.futurefood.org/index_en.php

Posted to alt.food.vegan

dmaraz wrote:
> There is no credible proof that man made global warming is a fact. That is
> the reason they changed the name to "climate change" instead.

Proof or not, there will be a lot of money spent on 'going green'.
Alternative strategies would save money, as highlighted in the OP.

> The Earth is actually entering a cooling phase along with Mars. This is due
> to the Sun not to mankind.

Where's the credible evidence for that claim? Contrast your view with
the following, before responding:

http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/Report/..._Print_SPM.pdf

> The Earth has in the past both warmed and cooled long before the industrial
> revolution. If you want to worry about the costs to our economy,
> stop Obama from spending money we don't have! He'll reach 20 trillion by the
> end of his second year! Sure, the meat industry has an
> environmental cost. Just look at waste management alone.
> I became vegan because I am very pro life, both animal and even more so,
> human. If you want to go vegan for health or because of animal cruelty
> or just for kicks then go for it. Just don't try and persuade people by
> using false arguements and junk science.

What is false and junk and why?

> I sometimes think I am the only conservative thinking vegan. Please don't
> fall for the liberal scam of "global warming/climate change" it is merely
> a means to control our economy with the trading of carbon credits etc.
> Think of the American jobs lost by the elimination of the incandescent bulb.
> Now they are replaced by Chinese made bulbs containing mercury! Stop this
> environmentalist insanity.

China probably made the incandescent bulbs as well.

Using coal to generate electricity would appear to release more mercury
than CFL's during their lifetime. (Half of the USA's power comes from coal).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp