Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Let's get divalent

Which one do you like the best, white or red? I've used it 30 years
for everything including fevers. I supply some to my neighbor who is
almost invalid from rheumatoid arthritis. She says it provides better
pain relief than topical prescription pain medication. You can see a
earlier post of my brother running lab tests on himself to monitor his
cholesterol levels. I'm not sure of any recent numbers. I'm about
ready to send him some Puer. I drink tea for the taste and if it keeps
me alive another day to drink some more it didn't cost me anything.

Jim

Dominic T. wrote:
....major whacking...
> Tiger Balm, and many more. I am even working with my father to
> see if Pu-Erh tea can truly lower his cholesterol level in an effort to
> get him off of Lipitor.
> Take Care,
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

DogMa > writes:

> [...brilliant results adding a splash of mineral water...]

Hey Dog: It's been a few days since your original post. You must have
tried adding Gerolsteiner to your favorite beverage again since then,
no? Do we have reproducibility?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Space Cowboy wrote:
> Which one do you like the best, white or red? I've used it 30 years
> for everything including fevers. I supply some to my neighbor who is
> almost invalid from rheumatoid arthritis. She says it provides better
> pain relief than topical prescription pain medication. You can see a
> earlier post of my brother running lab tests on himself to monitor his
> cholesterol levels. I'm not sure of any recent numbers. I'm about
> ready to send him some Puer. I drink tea for the taste and if it keeps
> me alive another day to drink some more it didn't cost me anything.
>
> Jim

I've always used Red, simply because it was all that was available. I
was a boxer and a hockey player for 12 years, so it has come in handy
more times than I can count and in as many ways. I have arthritis in my
knee's due to the sport and it helps a bit sometimes there, but not
anything major. Fever's, Sinuses, colds, headaches, muscle pain... its
all good.

I will search for the Pu-Erh and cholesterol thread, did it work? It
seems like it would for a couple real reasons so that is why I figured
I'd give it a shot. It can't hurt him, and he gave up cigars years back
so some Pu-Erh may just bea soothing thing for him on a couple levels.

I agree with you, if it keeps me alive one day longer, that is just one
more cup of tea I get to enjoy.

- Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

I used Red during the seventies. In the eighties I discovered White.
I think Red is for short term application and White longterm. I now
use Red for the body and White for the head. When I'm sick I'll put
Red on my feet and belly and White on my face and buttocks. I imagine
my white blood cells getting mixed signals and rushing to all compass
points at once and cleaning up anything they find on the way. My
brother was drinking black tea and from what I remember about the post
said he lowered his LDL 13 points. My brother got interested because
of the scientific literature about the efficacy of tea lowering
cholesterol. In the meantime I sent him white and green tea so I don't
know those results if any. I think the specific attributes given to
Puer also seem to apply to tea in general. I can say anecdotally that
black puer does help with digestion.

Jim

Dominic T. wrote:
> Space Cowboy wrote:
> > Which one do you like the best, white or red? I've used it 30 years
> > for everything including fevers. I supply some to my neighbor who is
> > almost invalid from rheumatoid arthritis. She says it provides better
> > pain relief than topical prescription pain medication. You can see a
> > earlier post of my brother running lab tests on himself to monitor his
> > cholesterol levels. I'm not sure of any recent numbers. I'm about
> > ready to send him some Puer. I drink tea for the taste and if it keeps
> > me alive another day to drink some more it didn't cost me anything.
> >
> > Jim

> I've always used Red, simply because it was all that was available. I
> was a boxer and a hockey player for 12 years, so it has come in handy
> more times than I can count and in as many ways. I have arthritis in my
> knee's due to the sport and it helps a bit sometimes there, but not
> anything major. Fever's, Sinuses, colds, headaches, muscle pain... its
> all good.
>
> I will search for the Pu-Erh and cholesterol thread, did it work? It
> seems like it would for a couple real reasons so that is why I figured
> I'd give it a shot. It can't hurt him, and he gave up cigars years back
> so some Pu-Erh may just bea soothing thing for him on a couple levels.
>
> I agree with you, if it keeps me alive one day longer, that is just one
> more cup of tea I get to enjoy.
>
> - Dominic

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

MENSA:
Mr. Serebrayakoff, the founder of MENSA was a countryman of mine and
harbored many negative elitist attitudes of people who consider IQ as a
substitute for knowledge and hard work.
After running away from my own country almost 20 years ago I felt the
understandable urge to "belong" and having my IQ tested for free at the
Church of Scientology in Stockholm (and run away from their recruiters) I
understood that this MENSA place may be a good place to meet people who
actually know something. Joined MENSA and alas... What a disappointment!
After several years of meetings all over CA, NV and even UT and later NY and
NJ, I found nothing but a bunch of self-indulgent, mostly lazy,
overwhelmingly sloppy and unbelievably snotty crowd that just happened to
have some neurons in their brains wired in a peculiar way that allowed them
to see questionable patterns in a very specific and completely useless set
of exercises. Oh, wow!

Homeopathy -
From a point of view of what common people call "common sense" quantum
physics makes no sense either. "Common sense" has its areas of application
and its gigantic failures as a mental tool.
My life and scientific experience proved that never should we mix
experiments and theories. Theories are just interesting pastimes.
Experiments are the core of science. Most of the medical treatments had
ridiculous explanations just before the end of 19th century. But medicine
was a very successful discipline despite that since antiquity and did its
job pretty well.
Jenner invented vaccines having no idea of mechanisms of immune response and
was ridiculed for years for attempts to make a hybrid between people and
cows for years by people who used arguments very similar to yours.
I do not give a damn about homeopathic theories. I do not give a damn if
they are capable of understanding the causes and effects of their treatments
as long as the treatments themselves show results and I saw that. I have
very little interest in so-called "peer reviews" that usually used to
validate science because I saw so often how "peers" jump out of their pants
to prevent concurrent theories to see the light of day. One of the best
examples are these two guys, Marshall and Warren who got their Nobel Prize
recently for proving that stomach ulcers is a bacterial disease and can be
cured in HOURS!
For more than 20 years they were called quacks, their work pushed aside and
their results questioned because they attempted to take away hundreds of
millions if not billions of dollars from gastroenterologists. I know some of
these real quacks who even now resist the truth. Reading about their
tribulations and how their work "did not make sense" in the eyes of
gastroenterologists is a scary reading that is the best explanation I know
why we still have no serious breakthroughs in cancer treatments. Peptic
ulcers is just some hundreds of millions of $$, cancer is tens of billions
of dollars that can be potentially taken away from cancer surgeons!
So before you or my good friends Lew and Michael Plant express their views
on homeopathy so cocky and easily, I suggest you exercise a little caution.
All you do is to pre-judge something that may as well save your life one day
as it did for countless patients. I knew a guy, who is a gastroenterologist
himself and despite years of our mutual friend trying to convince him to try
antibiotics on his own wife who had peptic ulcers, he, using 'common sense"
dismissed the whole thing and her ulcers turned cancerous and she died. His
words were "What do two crazy Aussies know about ulcers that I do not know?"
Apparently a freaking lot.

Sasha.

"Dominic T." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> [...]

> things. Take Zicam for instance, it is Zinc and salt. The salt dries up
> the mucus and the zinc has been debated as far as its properties,
> people believe it works and who knows it really may. However it
> contains massive amounts of zinc, if it were a true homeopathic remedy
> it would contain almost none at all if any... that is my problem with
> homeopathy. Selling essentially air for money.
>
>> Farley and Dr. Diamond currently developed a treatment that almost
>> completely alleviate the suffering of AZT-taking AIDS patients based on
>> their whole new set of medical approached that combine homeopathy and
>> Chinese herbal medicine. You may not believe this "quackery" but South
>> African government distribute it all over their AIDS hospitals, but you
>> right - what do they know? They are not MENSA members... But wait, I
>> was!
>> But what did I do with my MENSA membership? I remember wiping something
>> with
>> it, but what?
>> Well, may be Farley's being a member of Reagan's "Technology Cabinet" for
>> 8
>> years will qualify him? No? Being one of the founders of "Young
>> Presidents
>> Club"? No? Being the first MD with MBA from Stanford? No?

> Again, many very smart people have gone down wrong paths and spent
> massive amounts of time and efforts on unproven and later debunked
> ideas. No one is outside of that, Einstein, Edison, and even your
> beloved Mr. Farley (the correct one this time). No one is ever that
> smart, to never be wrong. You can dismiss MENSA all you want, it is
> quite common for a lot of people to do... nothing new to me. Why do you
> harbor such hatred and resentment towards the organization? It is
> actually pretty meaningless and there have been many members who were
> murders, psychos, and nut-jobs, but they all had high IQ's. IQ is not a
> major measure of intelligence in my eyes, and my mention of it was to
> just show that I hadn't just fell of the turnip truck either. I have
> family members in scientific and medical backgrounds and also personal
> interests that I pursue, including one of the countries top
> Neurosurgeons. Fancy degrees and status do not impress or mean much to
> me, I have learned some of my most valuable lessons from common,
> everday people. My grandfather, mother, a small asian grocery owner,
> among others.
>
> Again, we have drifted so far off target and the thread is most likely
> not recoverable now for the initial intent, so I will respecfully end
> this now. I am not angry at you nor harbor any resentment, and I am
> more than open to speaking with you further about any number of
> topics... and as always you are welcome to email me anytime. I honestly
> mean that, not being a smart-ass.
>
> Take Care,
> - Dominic
> Drinking: getting ready to brew some Dragonwell

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> Melinda > wrote:
>>
>>Apparently some people only call nucleotides etc. "flavor potentiaors" and
>>salt in this definition weouldn't be because it's a flavor by itself (in
>>other words, some people define flavor potentiator as something which
>>enhances flavor but has no flavor or smell profile of it's own). I only
>>bring this up becuase it would indicate a difference between salt and
>>sugar
>>which have flavor, and MSG or nucleotides which are primarily acting as
>>potentiators (I'll give you the source for all this babble at the end of
>>the
>>post). Anyhow...

> I thought glutamate was classified as a seperate flavor too?
> --scott

Yeah, actually one webpage I looked at had the old "four tastes" and one had
the more recent-to-the-West five tastes with umami added. One of those pages
I mentioned also had info about the specific molecules that trigger 'sour"
and "bitter" etc., which I found very interesting.

Is MSG still considered an evil substance to add to food? I'd seek some out
to add to my food as an experiment but I seem to recall that it was or is
considered bad for the health.

Melinda

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:
> Hey Dog: It's been a few days since your original post. You must have
> tried adding Gerolsteiner to your favorite beverage again since then,
> no? Do we have reproducibility?

Perhaps not by scientific standards, but I've tried the trick on four
oolongs of very different character, through multiple steeps, and it
seems to work similarly. Least effect was on a Hairy Crab that actually
brews up OK in the overly pure local water for some reason.

I'm almost out of Gerolsteiner and don't like it much anyways. Next step
is to try pure calcium and magnesium salts, and a few other mineral waters.

Current theory on the persistent effect: maybe instead of something
fancy like cortical reset or charging tasting tissues with excess ions,
it's just solutes leaking out from nooks and crannies in the mouth.
Anyone else here get repeats on tasty teas hours after drinking? I'm
guessing that that's why.

-DM

Oh yeah, for the nerds and general disputants: I find useful the
distinction between flavor addition and flavor potentiation. The
potentiator may have taste of its own, like salt, sugar, or MSG; but its
effect on the mix will be out of proportion to its intrinsic taste.
Things like miracle berry or artichokes+milk are extreme examples.
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Let's get divalent in a homeopathic sort of way

[Sasha]
> MENSA:
> Mr. Serebrayakoff, the founder of MENSA was a countryman of mine and
> harbored many negative elitist attitudes of people who consider IQ as a
> substitute for knowledge and hard work.
> After running away from my own country almost 20 years ago I felt the
> understandable urge to "belong" and having my IQ tested for free at the
> Church of Scientology in Stockholm (and run away from their recruiters) I
> understood that this MENSA place may be a good place to meet people who
> actually know something. Joined MENSA and alas... What a disappointment!
> After several years of meetings all over CA, NV and even UT and later NY and
> NJ, I found nothing but a bunch of self-indulgent, mostly lazy,
> overwhelmingly sloppy and unbelievably snotty crowd that just happened to
> have some neurons in their brains wired in a peculiar way that allowed them
> to see questionable patterns in a very specific and completely useless set
> of exercises. Oh, wow!

[More Sasha]
> Homeopathy -
> From a point of view of what common people call "common sense" quantum
> physics makes no sense either. "Common sense" has its areas of application
> and its gigantic failures as a mental tool.
> My life and scientific experience proved that never should we mix
> experiments and theories. Theories are just interesting pastimes.
> Experiments are the core of science. Most of the medical treatments had
> ridiculous explanations just before the end of 19th century. But medicine
> was a very successful discipline despite that since antiquity and did its
> job pretty well.
> Jenner invented vaccines having no idea of mechanisms of immune response and
> was ridiculed for years for attempts to make a hybrid between people and
> cows for years by people who used arguments very similar to yours.
> I do not give a damn about homeopathic theories. I do not give a damn if
> they are capable of understanding the causes and effects of their treatments
> as long as the treatments themselves show results and I saw that. I have
> very little interest in so-called "peer reviews" that usually used to
> validate science because I saw so often how "peers" jump out of their pants
> to prevent concurrent theories to see the light of day. One of the best
> examples are these two guys, Marshall and Warren who got their Nobel Prize
> recently for proving that stomach ulcers is a bacterial disease and can be
> cured in HOURS!
> For more than 20 years they were called quacks, their work pushed aside and
> their results questioned because they attempted to take away hundreds of
> millions if not billions of dollars from gastroenterologists. I know some of
> these real quacks who even now resist the truth. Reading about their
> tribulations and how their work "did not make sense" in the eyes of
> gastroenterologists is a scary reading that is the best explanation I know
> why we still have no serious breakthroughs in cancer treatments. Peptic
> ulcers is just some hundreds of millions of $$, cancer is tens of billions
> of dollars that can be potentially taken away from cancer surgeons!
> So before you or my good friends Lew and Michael Plant express their views
> on homeopathy so cocky and easily, I suggest you exercise a little caution.
> All you do is to pre-judge something that may as well save your life one day
> as it did for countless patients. I knew a guy, who is a gastroenterologist
> himself and despite years of our mutual friend trying to convince him to try
> antibiotics on his own wife who had peptic ulcers, he, using 'common sense"
> dismissed the whole thing and her ulcers turned cancerous and she died. His
> words were "What do two crazy Aussies know about ulcers that I do not know?"
> Apparently a freaking lot.

[Michael]
OK, I Michael the Cocky here. Guilty as charged. I admit:

1) I've never read studies on the efficacy of homeopathy.

2) I've heard from possibly reliable sources that well
designed and executed studies exist showing that the
homeopathic effect surpasses the placibo effect.

3) I get high marks for glibness and do occasionally
well with sarcasm. I also score high on lazy and sloppy.
Happily, these qualities will never compromise the good
name of MENSA since I have nothing but my wits to put
on the table. I suffer from mediocrity.

Nicely written and heart felt, Sasha. I enjoyed your
post above, and I get it.

Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Melinda" > wrote in message

> Is MSG still considered an evil substance to add to food? I'd seek some

out
> to add to my food as an experiment but I seem to recall that it was or is
> considered bad for the health.

Certain persons seem to be allergic. If that was your case, you'd already
know it, you wouldn't be able to eat 90% of prepared food.

I find artificial MSG has a bad aftertaste while natural umami is very good.
It is like the difference between the sweeteness of aspartame and that of
honey.

Kuri

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> [...]

>> dismissed the whole thing and her ulcers turned cancerous and she died.
>> His
>> words were "What do two crazy Aussies know about ulcers that I do not
>> know?"
>> Apparently a freaking lot.

> [Michael]
> OK, I Michael the Cocky here. Guilty as charged. I admit:
>
> 1) I've never read studies on the efficacy of homeopathy.
>
> 2) I've heard from possibly reliable sources that well
> designed and executed studies exist showing that the
> homeopathic effect surpasses the placibo effect.
>
> 3) I get high marks for glibness and do occasionally
> well with sarcasm. I also score high on lazy and sloppy.
> Happily, these qualities will never compromise the good
> name of MENSA since I have nothing but my wits to put
> on the table. I suffer from mediocrity.
>
> Nicely written and heart felt, Sasha. I enjoyed your

Always happy to be helpful to my friends.

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"Oh Jeez" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Michael!
>
> I'm proud to say that I *am* one of the dullest minds of our times.
> Chiming in from that position (i.e, the bottom of the IQ heap), here's
> my idiot's guide to the play-by-play:
>
> 1. Sasha said he'd like some evidence that adding minerals after
> extraction is known to enhance perceived flavor.
>
> 2. Dominic offered the example of salting a tomato.
>
> 3. Sasha correctly pointed out that salting a tomato is evidence only
> of adding electrolytes *prior* to extraction, because until the saliva
> hits the tomato, nothing has yet been extracted. Sasha wrote: "Adding
> salt to tomato enhance the perceived flavor by (among other things)
> adding electrolites into water-based extraction process (what do you
> think salive is for?) So it is nit AFET, APRE, POST adding."
>
> Obviously English is not Sasha's first or second language -- or, maybe
> he drinks a lot...I don't know -- so we have to make allowances for his
> spelling and syntax, but his posts are worth a close
> reading/translation because, in the end, their content is excellent.
>
> OJ
>
> Note: No Mensa members have been harmed during the composition of this
> message!

OJ,

As to the "So it is nit AFET, APRE, POST adding" it was meant to be "So it
is not AFTER, APRE, POST type of adding" - I was talking about adding the
salt to tomato. How the above quote got corrupted - I have no idea.
Drinking - definitely not, despite the fact that I came from the shores
where this pastime can only be called THE expression of national soul.

Cheers,

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

"kuri" > wrote in message

> "Melinda" > wrote in message
>
>> Is MSG still considered an evil substance to add to food? I'd seek some

> out
>> to add to my food as an experiment but I seem to recall that it was or is
>> considered bad for the health.

> Certain persons seem to be allergic. If that was your case, you'd already
> know it, you wouldn't be able to eat 90% of prepared food.
>
> I find artificial MSG has a bad aftertaste while natural umami is very
> good.
> It is like the difference between the sweeteness of aspartame and that of
> honey.
>
> Kuri

Kuri -

The cases I know of, did not look like simple allergies. Mostly the
individuals would be having MSG food with no problems occasionally. However
when they started to eat MSG food more often (in one case it was a guy who
was in a lengthy business trip living next to a Chinese restorant and
instead of having chinese once a week, he was eating there every day) - then
they experienced quite heavy negative (I am trying to avoid the word "toxic"
here) effects.
In case of classic allergies, as you correctly stated, the picture would be
quite different.

BTW - unfortunately the signs "NO MSG" that you can see on the doors of most
Chinese restorants now do not necceserily reflect the true situation.
Legally, "MSG" abbreviation does not mean "Monosoidium glutamate" and such a
sign can be misguiding..

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Kuri -

A very interesting case! But the important thing to keep in mind here is
this -
Tea is closer to what is called true solution , while coffee is more a
colloid (where tiny particles of solids (or other non-mixing liquids) are
suspended in a "mother" liquid.
From the point of view of chemistry and even physics these are two different
worlds. What you decsribed in your post is a very possible effect in
colloids and quite impossible in normal circumstances in true solutions.

Sasha.

"kuri" > wrote in message

> "DogMa" > wrote in message
>
>> Current theory on the persistent effect: maybe instead of something
>> fancy like cortical reset or charging tasting tissues with excess ions,
>> it's just solutes leaking out from nooks and crannies in the mouth.
>> Anyone else here get repeats on tasty teas hours after drinking? I'm
>> guessing that that's why.

> I have no idea what it is worth scientifically, but that might be the same
> sort of mechanism.
> Look at the video about salt in coffee on this page :
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I29q_...urawaza%2 0po
> tato%20skin%252
>
> They have coffee forgotten 6 hours on the machine, it is considered too
> acid. They had a very small amount of salt and the acidity seems to
> disappear. They say there is not enough salt to feel its taste.
> The explanation given by the coffee specialist is there are acid elements
> in
> the brewed coffee, they are small just after brew the coffee and grow up
> in
> size (so acidity can be felt). Then if you add salt, the natrium contained
> in the salt bounces into the enlarged element and they go back to initial
> size (and coffee goes back initial taste).
>
> That reminds me that I add honey to dry products to make them taste
> younger.
> For instance rice of last year's crop tastes closer to newer rice.
> Rehydrated dried mushrooms taste closer to fresh ones. I don't remember
> where I saw the explanation.
>
> Kuri

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Melinda > wrote:

>Yeah, actually one webpage I looked at had the old "four tastes" and one had
>the more recent-to-the-West five tastes with umami added. One of those pages
>I mentioned also had info about the specific molecules that trigger 'sour"
>and "bitter" etc., which I found very interesting.

You can argue that umami changes other flavours that come along with it.
But then again, saltiness and sweetness also change other flavours that
come along. That's what makes cooking interesting.

>Is MSG still considered an evil substance to add to food? I'd seek some out
>to add to my food as an experiment but I seem to recall that it was or is
>considered bad for the health.

Some people seem to have very bad reactions to it. Growing up in Hawaii
as a kid, I used to see little old ladies carrying ten-pound bags of the
stuff home from the grocery. If it was all _that_ bad for you, most of
Asia would be dead by now.

I can still sing the ajinomoto commercial jingle, too.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

DogMa > wrote:
>Lewis Perin wrote:
>> Hey Dog: It's been a few days since your original post. You must have
>> tried adding Gerolsteiner to your favorite beverage again since then,
>> no? Do we have reproducibility?

>Perhaps not by scientific standards, but I've tried the trick on four
>oolongs of very different character, through multiple steeps, and it
>seems to work similarly. Least effect was on a Hairy Crab that actually
>brews up OK in the overly pure local water for some reason.
>
>I'm almost out of Gerolsteiner and don't like it much anyways. Next step
>is to try pure calcium and magnesium salts, and a few other mineral waters.

Before doing anything else, try making a cup with deionized water. It
has a very different flavour to it than tea made with tap water around
here.... really quite boring and almost flat. But get a sense of what
it tastes like.

>Oh yeah, for the nerds and general disputants: I find useful the
>distinction between flavor addition and flavor potentiation. The
>potentiator may have taste of its own, like salt, sugar, or MSG; but its
>effect on the mix will be out of proportion to its intrinsic taste.
>Things like miracle berry or artichokes+milk are extreme examples.

Right, exactly. Salts do this quite a lot, but I don't have a modern
citation for the phenomenon, or any proposal for a good mechanism. I
am satisfied to sit back and enjoy it.
--scott