FoodBanter.com

FoodBanter.com (https://www.foodbanter.com/)
-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Earl Grey (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/78162-earl-grey.html)

Blair P. Houghton 03-01-2006 08:02 PM

Earl Grey
 

Seriously. Who's pulling this joke on the entire tea world?

--Blair


Blair P. Houghton 03-01-2006 08:16 PM

Earl Grey
 
And why does anyone want to pay $400 a share for Google when this is
the way it treats Usenet?


David M. Harris 03-01-2006 09:00 PM

Earl Grey
 
Blair P. Houghton wrote:
And why does anyone want to pay $400 a share for Google when this is
the way it treats Usenet?

What the heck are you talking about, and what has it got to do with Earl
Grey?

dmh

Lewis Perin 03-01-2006 09:32 PM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
"Blair P. Houghton" writes:

And why does anyone want to pay $400 a share for Google when this is
the way it treats Usenet?


If you're bothered[1] by your inability to quote from the post you're
replying to, see

http://www.safalra.com/special/googlegroupsreply/

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html
[1]Not that you asked, but I'm bothered by your inability to quote
from the post you're replying to.

Blair P. Houghton 04-01-2006 01:32 AM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
No, I'm bothered by the fact that it doesn't actually post messages
when it posts them, causing me to re-post them and look like a moron.

--Blair
"Go ahead. Gainsay is thine."


stePH 04-01-2006 02:32 PM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
No, I'm bothered by the fact that it doesn't actually post messages
when it posts them, causing me to re-post them and look like a moron.


Looks to me like you're doing that on your own without any help from
Google.


stePH
--
in cup: Ahmad Earl Grey


Space Cowboy 04-01-2006 02:34 PM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
I'd say 95% of my Google posts are no delay. The remaining several
minutes,hours but no longer than two sweeps of the hour hand. No lost
posts. I've noticed around any holiday there maybe an extended lag. I
think it is maintenance. I've learned to trust Google and since it is
'free' who is complaining?

Jim

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
No, I'm bothered by the fact that it doesn't actually post messages
when it posts them, causing me to re-post them and look like a moron.

--Blair
"Go ahead. Gainsay is thine."



Lewis Perin 04-01-2006 03:38 PM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
"Blair P. Houghton" writes:

No, I'm bothered by the fact that it doesn't actually post messages
when it posts them, causing me to re-post them and look like a moron.


I'm afraid that if you're looking for instant propagation, Usenet's
the wrong medium; it isn't just Google Groups as a Usenet provider.

You're still omitting the context for your replies, I notice.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html

Scott Dorsey 04-01-2006 04:03 PM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
In article .com,
Space Cowboy wrote:
I'd say 95% of my Google posts are no delay. The remaining several
minutes,hours but no longer than two sweeps of the hour hand. No lost
posts. I've noticed around any holiday there maybe an extended lag. I
think it is maintenance. I've learned to trust Google and since it is
'free' who is complaining?


I am complaining. Google provides a horribly crude interface to Usenet
and so newbies come in thinking that's the same thing everyone else sees.
Also they purchased the old dejanews archives and have progressively been
making access to them more and more ugly and clumsy. Now even folks like
Blair are winding up stock on it.

Blair, here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself...
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

Space Cowboy 04-01-2006 06:02 PM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
My service provider MSN.COM doesn't have a newgroup server. It's just
a matter of time before yours disappears. I like Google Groups better
than any newsgroup reader I've tried. The most recent threads sort to
the top of the webpage. You don't have to worry about the ones you've
read because IE will highlight any new ones. Google keeps them
threaded so changing Subject has no effect. All the recent replys on
one single webpage more or less. I use sequential view so last post
by simple END key with IE. If push comes to shove switch to the
threaded view to find out who is talking to who when they don't quote
the post. I've done that when I see partial quoted posts. The most
important Google supports international languages once you learn the
trick. If you're a regular poster you can refresh your memory using
Search. All my posts archived by DejaNews are still available. You
can delete old posts which may come back to haunt you. If it isn't
archived by Google you didn't say it. I probably wouldn't go back to a
newsgroup reader. Usenet has it problems with abusers and the clueless
but that has nothing to do with Google. My main problem with Google I
don't like anykind of filtering because of the country I live in or to
protect me from adult material. I'm waiting for some report of Google
and HSA pruning the archives of information usefull to terrorists and
political activists involved in peaceful lawfull assembly and protest.

Jim

Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article .com,
Space Cowboy wrote:
I'd say 95% of my Google posts are no delay. The remaining several
minutes,hours but no longer than two sweeps of the hour hand. No lost
posts. I've noticed around any holiday there maybe an extended lag. I
think it is maintenance. I've learned to trust Google and since it is
'free' who is complaining?


I am complaining. Google provides a horribly crude interface to Usenet
and so newbies come in thinking that's the same thing everyone else sees.
Also they purchased the old dejanews archives and have progressively been
making access to them more and more ugly and clumsy. Now even folks like
Blair are winding up stock on it.

Blair, here's a nickel, kid. Get yourself...
--scott
--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."



Marlene Wood 04-01-2006 08:11 PM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 

"stePH" wrote in message
oups.com...

Blair P. Houghton wrote:
No, I'm bothered by the fact that it doesn't actually post messages
when it posts them, causing me to re-post them and look like a moron.


Looks to me like you're doing that on your own without any help from
Google.


stePH
--
in cup: Ahmad Earl Grey

Now stePH, I've come to know you through your posts as someone who is above
comments like that.



stePH 04-01-2006 09:02 PM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 

Marlene Wood wrote:
Now stePH, I've come to know you through your posts as someone who is above
comments like that.


I'm not above comments like that, in the same way that the ground is
not above the sky :-) Particularly when I see something like the
initial post (which smacks of a troll).
If the OP has a problem with Earl Grey, he might actually state his
grievance rather than just post something obscurely snarky.

stePH
--
in cup: 2003 brick sheng puer (from Tao of Tea)
(dregs of) 2nd infusion


Blair P. Houghton 05-01-2006 02:46 AM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
he might actually state his
grievance rather than just post something obscurely snarky.


Who was being obscure?

--Blair


Blair P. Houghton 05-01-2006 02:53 AM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
The problem wasn't instant propagation. It's loading in a timely
manner. Something delayed the original message's appearance in
Google's own database for a considerable time, making it look like
nothing had posted, and a check of the group confirmed that. But when
I reposted, both appeared.

The thing that will probably cause me the most reason to stop using
Google Groups, though, is that it has a posting limit. And doesn't say
what the limit is.

As for context, I recommend a threaded newsreader. I wouldn't post
anywhere without one.

--Blair


Steve Hay 05-01-2006 04:05 AM

Google Groups complaint (was Earl Grey)
 
Blair P. Houghton wrote:
As for context, I recommend a threaded newsreader. I wouldn't post
anywhere without one.


I've found it good etiquette to quote messages for context. You really
don't know what varied ways folks might be accessing your message on Usenet.

Steve


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FoodBanter