Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Default The horror!

Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:

http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Steve Hay

Lew,

I like coffee. In fact, I like tea. But you are right. That looks horrid.

Steve

Lewis Perin wrote:
> Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
> encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
> be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:
>
> http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Falky foo

What's next:

Kids Love MilkApplejuice!!

The great taste of milk and apple juice in one yummy beverage!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Ozzy

Their mixtures are a trifle sweet, don't you think? :-) Sugar's the main
ingrediant in so many of them...

Ozzy

Lewis Perin > wrote in
news
> Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
> encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
> be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:
>
> http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
danube

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:44:27 +0000, Diane wrote:

> In article >,
> Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
>> http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

> Great! Both my vices in one convenient sachet!

They used to serve this on British Rail, I could never make out whether
the drink is tea or coffee!

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

I think I drank this stuff the last time I ordered tea at Starbuck's.
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Derek

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:57:16 GMT, Falky foo wrote:

> What's next:
>
> Kids Love MilkApplejuice!!
>
> The great taste of milk and apple juice in one yummy beverage!

Don't knock the idea. Yo-J is a pretty good drink.

http://www.kemps.com/products/beverages.shtml

--
Derek

"Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by
stupidity." -- Nick Diamos
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Marlene Wood

Did I ever tell you about grapples? It's grape flavored apples. They're
wierd. My grocery store sells them.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
> encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
> be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:
>
> http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Falky foo

Ok I dare you to fill up a glass with half apple juice and half milk and
give it a shot.

Who knows, maybe it's the next big thing.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant

Lewis 11/20/05

> Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
> encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
> be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:

http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

> /Lew

So, Lew: You have a problem with that???
Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant

7.14211/20/05

> Their mixtures are a trifle sweet, don't you think? :-) Sugar's the main
> ingrediant in so many of them...
>
> Ozzy

Ozzy, sugar is actually quite healthy for you. Why, I'll bet the sugar
industry is lobbying Washington to have it listed as a health food.

Blachhh.
Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alex Chaihorsky

Any horrendous mix of liquids that are good on their own and terrible
together is OK with the public when it is called "Tiger Milk".
The weirder the better, actually. The ability and eagerness to consume the
most disgusting mixes as breakfast stems, IMHO from an interesting hybrid
of ideas that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and "no pain -
no gain". Tigers would be laughing.

Me, I prefer slow, abandant, exotic on fruit side and decadent breakfasts
served noonish preferrably by barely dressed redheads tigers ready to go
back to bed in a moment's notice. Thats the tiger breakfast I always ready
for.

Sorry for OT - back to coffee tea.
Coffee tea, however can legitimately be brewed (and it kinda nice) from the
LEAVES of coffee plant.

Sasha.

"Falky foo" > wrote in message
et...
> Ok I dare you to fill up a glass with half apple juice and half milk and
> give it a shot.
>
> Who knows, maybe it's the next big thing.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Ozzy > writes:

> Lewis Perin > wrote in
> news >
> > Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
> > encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
> > be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:
> >
> > http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

> Their mixtures are a trifle sweet, don't you think? :-) Sugar's the main
> ingrediant in so many of them...

Sorry, I lacked the guts to try the stuff.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Michael Plant > writes:

> Lewis 11/20/05
>
> > Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
> > encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
> > be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:

http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

> So, Lew: You have a problem with that???

To quote Abraham Lincoln, "Waiter, if this is coffee, then bring me
tea. But if this is tea, then bring me coffee."

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mike Petro

>To quote Abraham Lincoln, "Waiter, if this is coffee, then bring me
>tea. But if this is tea, then bring me coffee."
>
>/Lew

I love it.....

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Melinda

Default The horror! OT sugar

On that note, I was browsing through a National Geographic from 1970 in the
doctor's office the other day and came across an ad saying something to the
effect of "hungry before lunch? Nibble on a cookie!" and went on to say how
sugar was 100 percent carbohydrate and pure and the perfect thing to cut the
hunger pangs in mid-morning etc. Of course the ad was put in by the sugar
board, but an ad like that these days would meet with disbelief I think,
especially given the awareness of diabetes....

Melinda

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> 7.14211/20/05
>

>> Their mixtures are a trifle sweet, don't you think? :-) Sugar's the main
>> ingrediant in so many of them...
>>
>> Ozzy

> Ozzy, sugar is actually quite healthy for you. Why, I'll bet the sugar
> industry is lobbying Washington to have it listed as a health food.
>
> Blachhh.
> Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Scott Dorsey

Melinda > wrote:
>On that note, I was browsing through a National Geographic from 1970 in the
>doctor's office the other day and came across an ad saying something to the
>effect of "hungry before lunch? Nibble on a cookie!" and went on to say how
>sugar was 100 percent carbohydrate and pure and the perfect thing to cut the
>hunger pangs in mid-morning etc. Of course the ad was put in by the sugar
>board, but an ad like that these days would meet with disbelief I think,
>especially given the awareness of diabetes....

"Reach for a Lucky, instead of dessert! Lucky Strike means fine tobacco."
--scott

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Alex Chaihorsky

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> Michael Plant > writes:
>
>> Lewis 11/20/05
>>
>> > Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
>> > encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
>> > be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:

http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

>> So, Lew: You have a problem with that???

> To quote Abraham Lincoln, "Waiter, if this is coffee, then bring me
> tea. But if this is tea, then bring me coffee."
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Lew -

This is almost exactly, word for word the story of my first encounter with
American coffee.
It was at Rabbit Creek mine 80 miles NNE of Winnemucca, Nevada August 1988 -
on the first day of my first job as a geologist there. Where I was offered a
cup of coffee, naturally. When I get it, I thought, judging by the color,
that it was actually tea. I said - thanks, but I'd really like coffee. But
this is coffee - said the guy. OK, I'll take the tea, said I and extended my
hand to take it but the guy turned around and started to leave to get me
tea.
Later I brought a different coffeemaker and started too make my own coffee
which my colleagues called "Chernobyl meltdown" and my Texan drillers called
"That crazy Russian's illegal gooey stuff".

I was told that they actually brewed "Chernobyl meltdown" coffee at the mine
long after I was gone.

I think Abe Lincoln would have liked it.

Sasha.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Ourania Zabuhu

Default The horror! OT sugar and ad copy

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Melinda > wrote:
>
>>On that note, I was browsing through a National Geographic from 1970 in the
>>doctor's office the other day and came across an ad saying something to the
>>effect of "hungry before lunch? Nibble on a cookie!" and went on to say how
>>sugar was 100 percent carbohydrate and pure and the perfect thing to cut the
>>hunger pangs in mid-morning etc. Of course the ad was put in by the sugar
>>board, but an ad like that these days would meet with disbelief I think,
>>especially given the awareness of diabetes....

Yeah, that ad might indeed be met with disbelief today. Instead,
you'll find something like: "Hungry before lunch? Treat yourself
to a healthy low-carb Natural Fudge Dream Bar!" Which of course
contains tons of aspartame, coconut oil, palm oil, white flour,
GMO soy, unpronounceable preservatives, etc.

> "Reach for a Lucky, instead of dessert! Lucky Strike means fine tobacco."

Heheh. How about: "When Boredom and Emotion Fatigue Bring on
'Housewife Headache': Making beds, getting meals, acting as
family chauffeur--having to do the same dull work day after
day--is a mild form of torture. This can bring on nervous
tension, fatigue and what is now known as 'housewife headache.'
For this type of headache you need strong yet safe relief. So
next time take Anacin.... Minutes after taking Anacin, your
headache goes, so does its nervous tension and fatigue. Lets you
feel better all over. Despite its strength, Anacin is safe taken
as directed. It doesn't leave you depressed or groggy. Next time
take Anacin Tablets!"

And of course, "Says Hedy Lamarr: 'Its _brisk_ flavor is top
drawer with me.' Lipton Tea: Brisk flavor...never flat."
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
John

Michael Plant wrote:
> Ozzy, sugar is actually quite healthy for you. Why, I'll bet the
> sugar industry is lobbying Washington to have it listed as a
> health food.
>
> Blachhh.
> Michael

You can check out "SUPER SIZE ME" DVD to see what happened when a guy
ate only at a famous fast-food chain for 30 days, as an experiment. He
had medical tests done before and after the experiment.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Michael Plant

Scott /21/05

> Melinda > wrote:
>> On that note, I was browsing through a National Geographic from 1970 in the
>> doctor's office the other day and came across an ad saying something to the
>> effect of "hungry before lunch? Nibble on a cookie!" and went on to say how
>> sugar was 100 percent carbohydrate and pure and the perfect thing to cut the
>> hunger pangs in mid-morning etc. Of course the ad was put in by the sugar
>> board, but an ad like that these days would meet with disbelief I think,
>> especially given the awareness of diabetes....

> "Reach for a Lucky, instead of dessert! Lucky Strike means fine tobacco."
> --scott

Just how *old* are you, Scott?
Bet you don't remember Jack Benny live on the radio saying that?
LSMFT!
Michael

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mårten Nilsson

"Alex Chaihorsky" > skrev i meddelandet
om...

> "Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
> news
>> Michael Plant > writes:
>>
>>> Lewis 11/20/05

http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

>>> So, Lew: You have a problem with that???

>> To quote Abraham Lincoln, "Waiter, if this is coffee, then bring me
>> tea. But if this is tea, then bring me coffee."
>>
>> /Lew
>> ---
>> Lew Perin /

> Lew -
>
> This is almost exactly, word for word the story of my first encounter with
> American coffee.

In Japan you can order "American coffee" at cafés. It means that the coffee
should be weaker than the ordinairy coffee.

/Mårten

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lars Mehlum

On 20 Nov 2005 15:38:50 -0500, Lewis Perin > wrote:

>Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
>encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
>be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:
>
> http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

I believe this mix is quite popular in Hong Kong.

Lars
(Bergen, Norway)
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Lewis Perin

Lars Mehlum > writes:

> On 20 Nov 2005 15:38:50 -0500, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> >Browsing the tea aisle of one of New York Chinatown's supermarkets, I
> >encountered a, well, novel beverage. Those with strong stomachs may
> >be able to handle what they see at the bottom of this page:
> >
> > http://www.aikcheong.com/coffee/coffee.html

> I believe this mix is quite popular in Hong Kong.

I hope they make bubble, uh, tea with it.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
samarkand

Sigh.

Hi Lew, this beverage has been around since I was a kid sipping tea and
coffee out of a saucer!

This beverage is common between Hongkong and the locals from Ipoh & Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia. It is a mix of equal parts of black tea and thick coffee,
different from the types we have in America.

The kopi, or coffee, was a thick heavy, and people in the past who couldn't
stomach that took to adding tea to the coffee to dilute the beverage while
not losing the flavour. The coffee taste is still dominently stronger in
this beverage. They give it a nice name : the mandarin teals (??), after
the myth that mandarin teals are faithful couples who would never
separate...

Danny