Carolyn

Default Chatsford Teapot

Hello

I am wishing to buy a Chatsford teapot for a gift for a
friend. I am wondering how much tea would fit in the
infusers that come with the different size tea pots. Is
there anyone out there who could help me with that? He's
thinking he would like to be able to fit around 1 oz of tea
in the infuser basket, from which he would make a
concentrated tea that he would dilute as he drinks it iced
throughout the day. I wouldn't want to get him one that is
too small. Would appreciate any help you might be able to
give me.

Thanks!

Carolyn
..
Scott Dorsey

In article >,
Carolyn > wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am wishing to buy a Chatsford teapot for a gift for a
>friend. I am wondering how much tea would fit in the
>infusers that come with the different size tea pots. Is
>there anyone out there who could help me with that? He's
>thinking he would like to be able to fit around 1 oz of tea
>in the infuser basket, from which he would make a
>concentrated tea that he would dilute as he drinks it iced
>throughout the day. I wouldn't want to get him one that is
>too small. Would appreciate any help you might be able to
>give me.

I think that if he wants to make a large concentrated amount and then
dilute for icing, that a teapot is probably not the tool he wants.
--scott

Bluesea

"Carolyn" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am wishing to buy a Chatsford teapot for a gift for a
> friend. I am wondering how much tea would fit in the
> infusers that come with the different size tea pots. Is
> there anyone out there who could help me with that? He's
> thinking he would like to be able to fit around 1 oz of tea
> in the infuser basket, from which he would make a
> concentrated tea that he would dilute as he drinks it iced
> throughout the day. I wouldn't want to get him one that is
> too small. Would appreciate any help you might be able to
> give me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carolyn

I just measured 1 oz into my 2-cup and 4-cup baskets and found that:

One oz of CTC leaves pretty well fills up the basket of the 2-cup pot -- not
enough room, IMO, for the water to circulate and leaves to freely swim. If
he uses whole leaves, it'll likely be even worse.

The basket of the 4-cup pot fills up about half-way. I'm not confident that
would be enough room for 1 oz of tea, but the 4-cup pot is more versatile
for hot tea being suitable for the solitary drinker who likes to have more
than one cup as well as big enough for when there are a few guests.

I don't know about the baskets of the larger pots, but I'm sure they'll be
better.

HTH.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Warren C. Liebold

I think Bluesea is about right on target.

I own one Chatsford, love it, and regularly debate buying a second, larger
one for tasks like this.

Warren

"Carolyn" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am wishing to buy a Chatsford teapot for a gift for a
> friend. I am wondering how much tea would fit in the
> infusers that come with the different size tea pots. Is
> there anyone out there who could help me with that? He's
> thinking he would like to be able to fit around 1 oz of tea
> in the infuser basket, from which he would make a
> concentrated tea that he would dilute as he drinks it iced
> throughout the day. I wouldn't want to get him one that is
> too small. Would appreciate any help you might be able to
> give me.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Carolyn
> .

Bluesea

"Carolyn" > wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I am wishing to buy a Chatsford teapot for a gift for a
> friend. I am wondering how much tea would fit in the
> infusers that come with the different size tea pots. Is
> there anyone out there who could help me with that? He's
> thinking he would like to be able to fit around 1 oz of tea
> in the infuser basket, from which he would make a
> concentrated tea that he would dilute as he drinks it iced
> throughout the day.

I'm curious. How many oz of concentrate does he make with this 1 oz of dry
leaf?

--
~~Bluesea~~

CCCarlisle

I like the 32 oz Adagio IngenuiTea for making iced tea. It is the same
thing as the Teavana Perfect Tea Maker. Unfortunately, both companies
seem to be sold out of the 32-oz size at the moment. If you're
interested in that one, perhaps someone else in this group can point you
to another supplier, or you can get Adagio to send you an email when
they get it back in stock.

http://www.adagio.com/teaware/ingenu...d5d01dc91030cb
28c9cc2d4671138d

In article >,
(Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> I think that if he wants to make a large concentrated amount and then
> dilute for icing, that a teapot is probably not the tool he wants.
> --scott

stePH

Carolyn wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am wishing to buy a Chatsford teapot for a gift for a
> friend. I am wondering how much tea would fit in the
> infusers that come with the different size tea pots. Is
> there anyone out there who could help me with that? He's
> thinking he would like to be able to fit around 1 oz of tea
> in the infuser basket, from which he would make a
> concentrated tea that he would dilute as he drinks it iced
> throughout the day. I wouldn't want to get him one that is
> too small. Would appreciate any help you might be able to
> give me.

I would get at least a 32-oz teapot; an ounce is actually rather a lot
of tea to brew at one time.

I would also ditch the infuser basket entirely, and pour through a
strainer when brewing is done. The basket is all-but-worthless, unless
you can somehow attach a handle to it and use *it* as a strainer.
(Actually, here at work I use the basket from my tetsubin as a
strainer, just taking care not to pour hot tea onto myself when using
it.)

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

stePH

Scott Dorsey wrote:

> I think that if he wants to make a large concentrated amount and then
> dilute for icing, that a teapot is probably not the tool he wants.

I don't know ... I've brewed double- to triple-strength in my 32-oz
ceramic pot and strained it into a jug of icewater; it works just fine.
What would you recommend to make iced tea?

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

Bluesea

"stePH" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Carolyn wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I am wishing to buy a Chatsford teapot for a gift for a
> > friend. I am wondering how much tea would fit in the
> > infusers that come with the different size tea pots. Is
> > there anyone out there who could help me with that? He's
> > thinking he would like to be able to fit around 1 oz of tea
> > in the infuser basket, from which he would make a
> > concentrated tea that he would dilute as he drinks it iced
> > throughout the day. I wouldn't want to get him one that is
> > too small. Would appreciate any help you might be able to
> > give me.

> I would get at least a 32-oz teapot; an ounce is actually rather a lot
> of tea to brew at one time.

Also, since you have to allow for the expansion of the leaves, as much as
3-4 times the dry volume, the 2-cup basket really wouldn't work at all.

> I would also ditch the infuser basket entirely, and pour through a
> strainer when brewing is done. The basket is all-but-worthless, unless
> you can somehow attach a handle to it and use *it* as a strainer.
> (Actually, here at work I use the basket from my tetsubin as a
> strainer, just taking care not to pour hot tea onto myself when using
> it.)

I've used the Chatsford basket as a strainer by holding onto the tab and
pouring very carefully so as to not get backsplashed. Using the tab as a
handle isn't something I recommend, but it can be done. It's easier to set
the basket inside the receiving vessel and pour the brew into the basket
then retrieve it instead of holding it like a strainer.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Carolyn

Thanks for all your responses.... I had to make my choice
the day I wrote to this forum in order for him to have it
for his birthday, so unfortunately, I did not have most of
your input before making a decision.

I believe his pre-Chatsford practice was to stuff up to 7
tea bags into a coffee cup and pour the hot water over. Then
he poured that concentrate into ice and water making around
44 oz. of iced tea. He did that 3 -4 times a day, so figured
he was using 1 oz. of tea leaves a day. He's thinking with a
large enough pot/infuser he would be able to make the
concentrate for a full day at one time. I'm currently having
the same thoughts. Like Warren, I've been using a smaller
(24 oz) Chatsford pot and am thinking of buying a 36 oz. or
larger one.

Neither my friend nor I have delved into the bulk teas yet,
though we're looking for some now. He has looked more and is
having trouble finding co2 decaffeinated green and white
teas... would anyone here have leads on good bulk sources
that might have these?

The Adagio teapot looks interesting!

I settled on the largest Chatsford sponge sheep teapot I
could find, which was 36 oz. I'm kinda waiting to find out
how successful his pot is with the bulk teas before making
the leap for myself.

Thanks again....
..

stePH

Bluesea wrote:

> I've used the Chatsford basket as a strainer by holding onto the tab and
> pouring very carefully so as to not get backsplashed. Using the tab as a
> handle isn't something I recommend, but it can be done. It's easier to set
> the basket inside the receiving vessel and pour the brew into the basket
> then retrieve it instead of holding it like a strainer.

My "receiving vessel" here is a 12-oz mug that easily takes my
tetsubin's infuser basket all the way to the bottom. Not much point in
trying to fish it out with the leaves after pouring hot tea in.

Instead, I hold it above the cup, at the edges with thumb and
forefinger, and pour tea in the middle of it. Haven't scalded myself
yet.

stePH
--
GoogleGroups licks balls.

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bluesea

"Carolyn" > wrote in message
> Thanks for all your responses.... I had to make my choice
> the day I wrote to this forum in order for him to have it
> for his birthday, so unfortunately, I did not have most of
> your input before making a decision.
>
> I believe his pre-Chatsford practice was to stuff up to 7
> tea bags into a coffee cup and pour the hot water over. Then
> he poured that concentrate into ice and water making around
> 44 oz. of iced tea. He did that 3 -4 times a day, so figured
> he was using 1 oz. of tea leaves a day. He's thinking with a
> large enough pot/infuser he would be able to make the
> concentrate for a full day at one time. I'm currently having
> the same thoughts. Like Warren, I've been using a smaller
> (24 oz) Chatsford pot and am thinking of buying a 36 oz. or
> larger one.

Much easier than using a cup.

> Neither my friend nor I have delved into the bulk teas yet,
> though we're looking for some now. He has looked more and is
> having trouble finding co2 decaffeinated green and white
> teas... would anyone here have leads on good bulk sources
> that might have these?

I get my decaf'd green tea from www.uptontea.com and www.theteatable.com.
I've never seen decaf'd white tea so he might have to use the DIY method:

Brew tea for 30 seconds. Discard liquid. Brew again as usual with fresh hot
water. This will remove as much as 80% of the caffeine in the first steep
since it's highly water soluble. Don't bother going past 45 seconds because
the rate of extraction greatly decreases and you won't get out any more
caffeine.

> The Adagio teapot looks interesting!

I use the large (quart) IngenuiTea for making tea via the cold brew method:
tea leaves + cold water, refrigerate overnight or for at least 6 hours.
Strain into pitcher.

> I settled on the largest Chatsford sponge sheep teapot I
> could find, which was 36 oz. I'm kinda waiting to find out
> how successful his pot is with the bulk teas before making
> the leap for myself.
>
> Thanks again....

You're most welcome.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Bluesea

"stePH" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Bluesea wrote:
> >
> > I've used the Chatsford basket as a strainer by holding onto the tab and
> > pouring very carefully so as to not get backsplashed. Using the tab as a
> > handle isn't something I recommend, but it can be done. It's easier to

set
> > the basket inside the receiving vessel and pour the brew into the basket
> > then retrieve it instead of holding it like a strainer.

> My "receiving vessel" here is a 12-oz mug that easily takes my
> tetsubin's infuser basket all the way to the bottom. Not much point in
> trying to fish it out with the leaves after pouring hot tea in.

Yeah, that used to happen to me when I tried a RoT brew basket. It's too
short and has no tabs so setting it in anything other than a cup was
pointless. The 4-cup Chatsford basket, OTOH, is tall enough for mugs and the
tab makes it easier to use as a strainer if one so desires.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Chatsford 2-cup jaime Tea 1 30-01-2005 09:52 PM
earthenware vs porcelain chatsford teapot Frank & Renee Tea 4 16-01-2005 08:56 PM
chatsford volume Falky foo Tea 14 25-12-2004 07:18 AM
chatsford volume Falky foo Tea 0 23-12-2004 09:48 PM
chatsford TeaPots Andy Hughes Tea 4 17-09-2004 12:02 AM