john

Default Tea anyone?

Hi all. I discovered this newsgroup on a random search for tea, and
decided to fire up my old newsgroup browser to ask a few questions for a
few teamasters

I brew mostly chinese teas in a cheap tetsubin I picked up in Manhattans
china town. It serves its purpose twice daily, but I wonder if there is
a better way to brew chinese tea? what do you brew chinese teas in if
you take them?

I'm also going to need some more tea soon, any recommendations on good
sites for chinese teas? Specifically im looking for

pearl jasmine tea
high grade (first, second) oolongs
a good introductory Puerh cake to try.

Thanks!
Lewis Perin

john > writes:

> Hi all. I discovered this newsgroup on a random search for tea, and
> decided to fire up my old newsgroup browser to ask a few questions for
> a few teamasters
>
> I brew mostly chinese teas in a cheap tetsubin I picked up in
> Manhattans china town. It serves its purpose twice daily, but I
> wonder if there is a better way to brew chinese tea? what do you brew
> chinese teas in if you take them?

I generally use a gaiwan, which is very flexible when you're getting
multiple steeps, as you do with most Chinese teas.

> I'm also going to need some more tea soon, any recommendations on good
> sites for chinese teas? Specifically im looking for
>
> pearl jasmine tea
> high grade (first, second) oolongs
> a good introductory Puerh cake to try.

There are lots of web sites you'll find people recommending in the
archives of this group. But since you're within striking distance of
Manhattan's Chinatown, you might want to go to Tea Gallery at 131
Allen St., where prices are higher but you can be sure of the quality
of the merchandise and the advice. It's best to call ahead at
212-777-6148. Usual disclaimer: just a satisfied customer, etc.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /