Mydnight

Default Nong Xiang Tie Guan Yin

This weekend I ventured to Chaozhou in the Chaoshan area of the
Guangdong province and got to experience another portion of Chinese tea
culture. This area is mostly famous for their special cha-jiu (tea
stuff...the stuff here is usually higher quality) but they are most
famous for liking strong teas.

I got to experience two different teas that I hadn't got the chance to
try before this past weekend: Nong Xiang Tie Guan Yin and Feng Huang
Dang Cong(this might be wrong). They brewed both of these teas with
much leaves and less water, so it's really eye opening to drink them.
I want to concentrate mostly on the Nong Xiang for this post.

As I said before in a previous post, the main types of TGY are Qing
Xiang, Shu Xiang, and Ban Xu Xiang. Another small class of TYG that is
not as popular anymore is Nong Xiang TGY. The character that
represents "Nong" literally means thick or strong and it really
describes the nature of the tea. It is not like the original Tie Guan
Yin flavor whatsoever. The tea can be characterized by nearly a fruity
and slightly bitter flavor that has a great 'ko gan' after you drink
it. The color of the tea is not your typical light green/yellow
either, it's a darker brown/orange color while the smell is a little
fruity like the taste.

Sorry for being a little terse in my reply, but my access to the net is
slightly limited at this time. I'll post more on my other experiences
next time.

Michael Plant

4/12/05

> This weekend I ventured to Chaozhou in the Chaoshan area of the
> Guangdong province and got to experience another portion of Chinese tea
> culture. This area is mostly famous for their special cha-jiu (tea
> stuff...the stuff here is usually higher quality) but they are most
> famous for liking strong teas.
>
> I got to experience two different teas that I hadn't got the chance to
> try before this past weekend: Nong Xiang Tie Guan Yin and Feng Huang
> Dang Cong(this might be wrong). They brewed both of these teas with
> much leaves and less water, so it's really eye opening to drink them.
> I want to concentrate mostly on the Nong Xiang for this post.
>
> As I said before in a previous post, the main types of TGY are Qing
> Xiang, Shu Xiang, and Ban Xu Xiang. Another small class of TYG that is
> not as popular anymore is Nong Xiang TGY. The character that
> represents "Nong" literally means thick or strong and it really
> describes the nature of the tea. It is not like the original Tie Guan
> Yin flavor whatsoever. The tea can be characterized by nearly a fruity
> and slightly bitter flavor that has a great 'ko gan' after you drink
> it. The color of the tea is not your typical light green/yellow
> either, it's a darker brown/orange color while the smell is a little
> fruity like the taste.
>
> Sorry for being a little terse in my reply, but my access to the net is
> slightly limited at this time. I'll post more on my other experiences
> next time.

No need for apologies at all. Your reports are fascinating. Thanks.

Michael

Michael Plant

4/12/05

> This weekend I ventured to Chaozhou in the Chaoshan area of the
> Guangdong province and got to experience another portion of Chinese tea
> culture. This area is mostly famous for their special cha-jiu (tea
> stuff...the stuff here is usually higher quality) but they are most
> famous for liking strong teas.
>
> I got to experience two different teas that I hadn't got the chance to
> try before this past weekend: Nong Xiang Tie Guan Yin and Feng Huang
> Dang Cong(this might be wrong). They brewed both of these teas with
> much leaves and less water, so it's really eye opening to drink them.
> I want to concentrate mostly on the Nong Xiang for this post.
>
> As I said before in a previous post, the main types of TGY are Qing
> Xiang, Shu Xiang, and Ban Xu Xiang. Another small class of TYG that is
> not as popular anymore is Nong Xiang TGY. The character that
> represents "Nong" literally means thick or strong and it really
> describes the nature of the tea. It is not like the original Tie Guan
> Yin flavor whatsoever. The tea can be characterized by nearly a fruity
> and slightly bitter flavor that has a great 'ko gan' after you drink
> it. The color of the tea is not your typical light green/yellow
> either, it's a darker brown/orange color while the smell is a little
> fruity like the taste.
>
> Sorry for being a little terse in my reply, but my access to the net is
> slightly limited at this time. I'll post more on my other experiences
> next time.

No need for apologies at all. Your reports are fascinating. Thanks.

Michael

$120.00/5oz Mi Xiang Oolong - Anybody know anything? Shen[_2_] Tea 6 13-03-2008 06:23 PM
Kukicha tasted like milan xiang dancong and da hong pao Jazzy[_2_] Tea 0 21-09-2007 03:50 PM
Tie Guan Yin additives. Mydnight Tea 9 03-12-2005 03:40 AM
Mi Xiang tea (sticky rice fragrance) aloninna Tea 8 23-06-2005 06:51 PM
Nong Xiang Tie Guan Yin Mydnight Tea 0 12-04-2005 09:19 AM