DPM

Default TN: Puttabong FF DJ-5

This is the first of two first flush Darjeelings I just received from Upton
(TD-66). I prepared this the traditional way, using 2 heaping teaspoonfuls
of leaf, 16 oz water heated to about 200F. Steeped 3 minutes.

Dry leaf: long, twisted leaves, perhaps 10% white tips.
Infused leaf: small, very green (perhaps 20-25% oxidation)
Nose: grassy/herbal, faint floral notes.
Palate: follows nose; fairly low astringency, very light and delicate.

My first exposure to first flush Darjeeling was Puttabong's 2003 offering
(from Specialteas, as I recall) - it was a revelation, as I had never tasted
so fresh a tea before. This tea is similar, but much more delicate,
probably because it's such an early invoice. I think this tea would benefit
from Lew's gongfu method; I will increase the amount of leaf for the next
batch.

Regards,
Dean

toci

DPM wrote:
> This is the first of two first flush Darjeelings I just received from

Upton
> (TD-66). I prepared this the traditional way, using 2 heaping

teaspoonfuls
> of leaf, 16 oz water heated to about 200F. Steeped 3 minutes.
>
> Dry leaf: long, twisted leaves, perhaps 10% white tips.
> Infused leaf: small, very green (perhaps 20-25% oxidation)
> Nose: grassy/herbal, faint floral notes.
> Palate: follows nose; fairly low astringency, very light and

delicate.

> My first exposure to first flush Darjeeling was Puttabong's 2003

offering
> (from Specialteas, as I recall) - it was a revelation, as I had never

tasted
> so fresh a tea before. This tea is similar, but much more delicate,
> probably because it's such an early invoice. I think this tea would

benefit
> from Lew's gongfu method; I will increase the amount of leaf for the

next
> batch.
>
> Regards,
> Dean

I've just ordered two less pricey Darjeeling samples from Upton. I've
put TD-66 on my next reorder list, but I suspect I'll be satisfied with
the others, and leave the pricey ones to people who can appreciate
them..... Toci

toci