Bluesea

Default Another good reason to drink tea or, Stained Teeth

Declan Curry of the BBC reported last week on ABC's World News Now that
studies have shown that yellowed teeth are stronger than the sparkling
pearly whites.

Sounds to me like that's another good reason to drink tea!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Derek

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 19:59:38 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> Declan Curry of the BBC reported last week on ABC's World News Now that
> studies have shown that yellowed teeth are stronger than the sparkling
> pearly whites.
>
> Sounds to me like that's another good reason to drink tea!

"Sounds to me like another excuse for bad teeth, ala Austin Powers,"
he said with an evil grin.

--
Derek

"In the spirit of diversity, anyone offering food for thought must
also provide a vegetarian version, as well as low-carb, low fat, and
Kosher versions." -- Glasbergen
Ladygreyer

I guess this is possibly because tea has fluoride and tea stains your
teeth.... and that teeth naturally yellow on their own and whitening
agents are detrimental to your tooth enamel.

Lewis Perin

"Ladygreyer" > writes:

> I guess this is possibly because tea has fluoride and tea stains your
> teeth.... and that teeth naturally yellow on their own and whitening
> agents are detrimental to your tooth enamel.

Right. You're supposed to get enough fluoride to make your teeth
strong but not so much that it weakens your skeleton. Any questions?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Falky foo

I understand that fluoride in your mouth re-ionizes enamel but I thought the
stuff you actually consume was only effective in strengthening teeth when
the teeth are being built.. ie, when you're a young child.

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "Ladygreyer" > writes:
>
> > I guess this is possibly because tea has fluoride and tea stains your
> > teeth.... and that teeth naturally yellow on their own and whitening
> > agents are detrimental to your tooth enamel.
> >

> Right. You're supposed to get enough fluoride to make your teeth
> strong but not so much that it weakens your skeleton. Any questions?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:40:50 GMT, Falky foo wrote:

> I understand that fluoride in your mouth re-ionizes enamel but I thought the
> stuff you actually consume was only effective in strengthening teeth when
> the teeth are being built.. ie, when you're a young child.

It's not really good to consume it. This is why parents with toddlers
are told *NOT* to use fluoridated toothpaste until the child is old
enough to spit it out rather than swallow it.

Incidentally, prolonged daily ingestion of excessive fluoride will
result (to some degree) in dental fluorosis, or "teeth mottling"
leaving varying degrees of brownish discoloration and pitting of the
teeth.

--
Derek

Not all pain is gain.
Es

I use to get a lot of grief from my dental hygienists and dentist about my tea stains. Btw, they think these
bleaching products are very unsound with the, "it does no harm" claims.

I gave both of them a copy of Upton's catalog. Now both are converted to tea drinkers and nothing is said
about my stains.

After a couple years of drinking tea, they recommend. Brush twice a day using a fluoride toothpaste with
baking soda and floss twice a day with a baking soda floss.

> Declan Curry of the BBC reported last week on ABC's World News Now that
> studies have shown that yellowed teeth are stronger than the sparkling
> pearly whites.
>
> Sounds to me like that's another good reason to drink tea!

Mydnight

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:33:58 -0600, Es >
wrote:

>I use to get a lot of grief from my dental hygienists and dentist about my tea stains. Btw, they think these
>bleaching products are very unsound with the, "it does no harm" claims.
>
>I gave both of them a copy of Upton's catalog. Now both are converted to tea drinkers and nothing is said
>about my stains.

Yes! A few more converted! heh.

I'm actually going to send some loose leaf pu'er back to my dental
hygienist after I return to China as well. She was very curious to
see what in the devil had done such a good job at staining my
'beautiful smile' as she put it. She's such a sweet lady; she even
gave me some of the stuff they use to polish teeth with. heh.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:06:08 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:33:58 -0600, Es >
> wrote:
>
>>I use to get a lot of grief from my dental hygienists and dentist about my tea stains. Btw, they think these
>>bleaching products are very unsound with the, "it does no harm" claims.
>>
>>I gave both of them a copy of Upton's catalog. Now both are converted to tea drinkers and nothing is said
>>about my stains.

> Yes! A few more converted! heh.
>
> I'm actually going to send some loose leaf pu'er back to my dental
> hygienist after I return to China as well. She was very curious to
> see what in the devil had done such a good job at staining my
> 'beautiful smile' as she put it. She's such a sweet lady; she even
> gave me some of the stuff they use to polish teeth with. heh.

Anybody else think it odd that dentists & hygienists warn us about
using abrasives on our teeth, but then they use a "polish" on a tool
that rotates much, much faster than any non-professional electric
toothbrush?

If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might start to think that they're
wearing down our teeth on purpose just to stay in business.

--
Derek

The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures.
Mydnight

>Anybody else think it odd that dentists & hygienists warn us about
>using abrasives on our teeth, but then they use a "polish" on a tool
>that rotates much, much faster than any non-professional electric
>toothbrush?
>
>If I were a conspiracy theorist, I might start to think that they're
>wearing down our teeth on purpose just to stay in business.

Getting your teeth cleaned by a hygienist once or twice a year
probably doesn't hurt anything. The stuff that she gave me, she said
just brush lightly with it once or twice a month; I'm not worried.
Most toothpastes have some slightly abrasive reactants in them and
it's the same reason why dentists recommend replacing your toothbrush
every few months...the bristles wear down and it becomes not abrasive
enough. If you want no abrasion, bruth your teeth with you thumb like
the kid in boyscout camp that forgot his toothbrush. heh.

Now, using those whitening strips all the time and using the super
whitening toothpastes; I would worry about that more.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.

Derek

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:57:50 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> Now, using those whitening strips all the time and using the super
> whitening toothpastes; I would worry about that more.

I can't use 'em. They make my teeth hurt and they irritate my gums.

I've just grown accustomed to having "not quite perfectly white"
teeth.

--
Derek

There is an island of opportunity in the middle of every difficulty.
Miss that, though, and you're pretty much doomed.
Mydnight

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:25:50 -0600, Derek > wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:57:50 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
>
>> Now, using those whitening strips all the time and using the super
>> whitening toothpastes; I would worry about that more.

>I can't use 'em. They make my teeth hurt and they irritate my gums.
>
>I've just grown accustomed to having "not quite perfectly white"
>teeth.

I've never tried. Just the ingredients sorta spook me in those
whitening strips.

Mydnight

--------------------
thus then i turn me from my countries light, to dwell in the solemn shades of an endless night.
Derek

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 02:52:01 GMT, Mydnight wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:25:50 -0600, Derek > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:57:50 GMT, Mydnight wrote:
>>
>>> Now, using those whitening strips all the time and using the super
>>> whitening toothpastes; I would worry about that more.

>>I can't use 'em. They make my teeth hurt and they irritate my gums.
>>
>>I've just grown accustomed to having "not quite perfectly white"
>>teeth.

> I've never tried. Just the ingredients sorta spook me in those
> whitening strips.

I tried the whitening strips at the suggestion of my hygienist. Maybe
I've just got a big mouth (don't go there!), but the strips only cover
the front teeth. So when I smiled, the teeth behind what the strip
covered were still yellowed from tea.

--
Derek

Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
But it rocks absolutely, too.
Bluesea

"Es" > wrote in message
. 97.142...
> I use to get a lot of grief from my dental hygienists and dentist about my

tea stains.

> I gave both of them a copy of Upton's catalog. Now both are converted to

tea drinkers

WHOO-HOO! Way to go!

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Mydnight" > wrote in message

> Getting your teeth cleaned by a hygienist once or twice a year
> probably doesn't hurt anything. The stuff that she gave me, she said
> just brush lightly with it once or twice a month; I'm not worried.
> Most toothpastes have some slightly abrasive reactants in them

As I'm just about out of my current toothpaste, I cruised the shelves at
Wal-Mart yesterday. All except Colgate's anti-cavity, contained silica which
my dentist warned was like brushing with sand or glass. There were some
empty rows in the shelves so, hopefully, there are more less abrasive
toothpastes available. The rest were tartar-control, super-cleaning, or
whitening.

> and
> it's the same reason why dentists recommend replacing your toothbrush
> every few months...the bristles wear down and it becomes not abrasive
> enough.

Err...my dentist told me years ago to use only soft brushes and to replace
every three months because the bristles wear down and become *more*
abrasive; an older, worn brush has you brushing with the harder shaft
instead of a softer tip. I s'pose this might depend on the design of the
brush and I don't recall what they were handing out.

--
~~Bluesea~~