Roy Smith

Default Orange Pekoe?

I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.

A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
being the lowest of them. So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
(or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?
Patrick Heinze

Ian Rastall wrote:
> Hey Roy. Which teas do you mean that don't have grades? Do you
> mean supermarket tea? The stuff you find is teabags would be a
> "dust" grade, I believe.

I think he refered to the menu of the restaurant. While some teas had a
classification (OP or whatever) others did not. So his question was
about the quality of the 'non-graded' teas on the menu.

Roy, in my experience not all tea is classified like that. For example,
I don't think I ever saw a japanese green tea with this sort of
classification, but then again... ;-) At least here in Japan the System
seems to be different.

According to this site just found,
http://www.planetroasters.com/faqspi...20Grading.html
greens aren't classified like that at all, and neither are oolong.
Anyone knows if that is correct?

Roy, do you remember the names or tyes of the teas that were not graded
in OP, FOP..etc. ?

ciao
Patrick

--
"But please remember: this is only a work of Fiction.
The truth, as always, will be far stranger"

Arthur C. Clarke, 2001 - A Space Odyssey
Patrick Heinze

Ian Rastall wrote:
> Hey Roy. Which teas do you mean that don't have grades? Do you
> mean supermarket tea? The stuff you find is teabags would be a
> "dust" grade, I believe.

I think he refered to the menu of the restaurant. While some teas had a
classification (OP or whatever) others did not. So his question was
about the quality of the 'non-graded' teas on the menu.

Roy, in my experience not all tea is classified like that. For example,
I don't think I ever saw a japanese green tea with this sort of
classification, but then again... ;-) At least here in Japan the System
seems to be different.

According to this site just found,
http://www.planetroasters.com/faqspi...20Grading.html
greens aren't classified like that at all, and neither are oolong.
Anyone knows if that is correct?

Roy, do you remember the names or tyes of the teas that were not graded
in OP, FOP..etc. ?

ciao
Patrick

--
"But please remember: this is only a work of Fiction.
The truth, as always, will be far stranger"

Arthur C. Clarke, 2001 - A Space Odyssey
DPM

"Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.
>
> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
> being the lowest of them. So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

Roy,

"Contrary to popular opinion, Orange Pekoe does not refer to a particular
flavor, or even to a specific variety or quality or tea. Orange Pekoe is
nothing more than a designation of leaf size."

See http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/inf...NFOgrading.asp for
additional info.

Regards,
Dean

DPM

"Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.
>
> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
> being the lowest of them. So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

Roy,

"Contrary to popular opinion, Orange Pekoe does not refer to a particular
flavor, or even to a specific variety or quality or tea. Orange Pekoe is
nothing more than a designation of leaf size."

See http://www.uptontea.com/shopcart/inf...NFOgrading.asp for
additional info.

Regards,
Dean

Roy Smith

In article >,
Patrick Heinze > wrote:
>Ian Rastall wrote:
>> Hey Roy. Which teas do you mean that don't have grades? Do you
>> mean supermarket tea? The stuff you find is teabags would be a
>> "dust" grade, I believe.

>I think he refered to the menu of the restaurant. While some teas had a
>classification (OP or whatever) others did not. So his question was
>about the quality of the 'non-graded' teas on the menu.

Yes, exactly.

>Roy, do you remember the names or tyes of the teas that were not graded
>in OP, FOP..etc. ?

No, unfortunately, I do not, but my recolletion is only maybe 1/3 of
the teas had OP after them.
Roy Smith

In article >,
Patrick Heinze > wrote:
>Ian Rastall wrote:
>> Hey Roy. Which teas do you mean that don't have grades? Do you
>> mean supermarket tea? The stuff you find is teabags would be a
>> "dust" grade, I believe.

>I think he refered to the menu of the restaurant. While some teas had a
>classification (OP or whatever) others did not. So his question was
>about the quality of the 'non-graded' teas on the menu.

Yes, exactly.

>Roy, do you remember the names or tyes of the teas that were not graded
>in OP, FOP..etc. ?

No, unfortunately, I do not, but my recolletion is only maybe 1/3 of
the teas had OP after them.
Bluesea

"Ian Rastall" > wrote in message
news
> Hey Roy. Which teas do you mean that don't have grades? Do you
> mean supermarket tea? The stuff you find is teabags would be a
> "dust" grade, I believe.
>
> OP isn't actually the lowest. I think BOP is lower than that,
> which is Broken Orange Pekoe. Then there's ENBOP (Extremely Nasty
> Broken Orange Pekoe) which is reserved for the stuff I get at
> Denny's. :-)

PF (Pekoe Fannings) is smaller than BOP.

> I find the grades confusing too. Basically, and here is a good
> rule of thumb, the more letters the better. So look for a good
> alphabet soup and rest assured you're getting quality. :-)

Not true because size doesn't matter. You can get excellent flavor from PF
or BOP. It all depends on what satisfies your palate and only the individual
can be the judge of that.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Ian Rastall" > wrote in message
news
> Hey Roy. Which teas do you mean that don't have grades? Do you
> mean supermarket tea? The stuff you find is teabags would be a
> "dust" grade, I believe.
>
> OP isn't actually the lowest. I think BOP is lower than that,
> which is Broken Orange Pekoe. Then there's ENBOP (Extremely Nasty
> Broken Orange Pekoe) which is reserved for the stuff I get at
> Denny's. :-)

PF (Pekoe Fannings) is smaller than BOP.

> I find the grades confusing too. Basically, and here is a good
> rule of thumb, the more letters the better. So look for a good
> alphabet soup and rest assured you're getting quality. :-)

Not true because size doesn't matter. You can get excellent flavor from PF
or BOP. It all depends on what satisfies your palate and only the individual
can be the judge of that.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:39:09 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "Ian Rastall" > wrote in message
> news
>> [8 quoted lines suppressed]

> PF (Pekoe Fannings) is smaller than BOP.
>
>> [3 quoted lines suppressed]

> Not true because size doesn't matter. You can get excellent flavor from PF
> or BOP. It all depends on what satisfies your palate and only the individual
> can be the judge of that.

And different leaf sizes can be appreciated for different times. I was
given a wonderful Havukal Nilgiri breakfast tea that has very broken
leaves and yet, even being a 2002, is absolutely delicious...

... but I wouldn't drink it in the evening.

--
Derek

Before you bad mouth somebody for being "puritanical," keep in mind
that the Puritans believed that conception couldn't happen unless the
woman was pleasured in the process.

Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:39:09 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "Ian Rastall" > wrote in message
> news
>> [8 quoted lines suppressed]

> PF (Pekoe Fannings) is smaller than BOP.
>
>> [3 quoted lines suppressed]

> Not true because size doesn't matter. You can get excellent flavor from PF
> or BOP. It all depends on what satisfies your palate and only the individual
> can be the judge of that.

And different leaf sizes can be appreciated for different times. I was
given a wonderful Havukal Nilgiri breakfast tea that has very broken
leaves and yet, even being a 2002, is absolutely delicious...

... but I wouldn't drink it in the evening.

--
Derek

Before you bad mouth somebody for being "puritanical," keep in mind
that the Puritans believed that conception couldn't happen unless the
woman was pleasured in the process.
Bluesea

"Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.

She didn't know what she was talking about, but was conveying the myth that
size matters.

> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
> being the lowest of them.

PF (Pekoe Fannings) and BOP (Broken Orange Pekoe) are smaller than OP. These
are referenced in other paragraphs and, IMHO, should have been included in
the chart.

> So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

No. Teas from India and, IIRC, Sri Lanka (Ceylon) use the letter gradings,
teas from other countries don't necessarily. Don't get hung up on it, just
sample the grand variety of teas that are available and decide which you
like. Eventually, you might discover that you consistently prefer a certain
set of letters but you'll also gain the understanding that weather and
storage conditions will change the taste of your favorite teas from year to
year and from vendor to vendor.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.

She didn't know what she was talking about, but was conveying the myth that
size matters.

> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
> being the lowest of them.

PF (Pekoe Fannings) and BOP (Broken Orange Pekoe) are smaller than OP. These
are referenced in other paragraphs and, IMHO, should have been included in
the chart.

> So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

No. Teas from India and, IIRC, Sri Lanka (Ceylon) use the letter gradings,
teas from other countries don't necessarily. Don't get hung up on it, just
sample the grand variety of teas that are available and decide which you
like. Eventually, you might discover that you consistently prefer a certain
set of letters but you'll also gain the understanding that weather and
storage conditions will change the taste of your favorite teas from year to
year and from vendor to vendor.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:39:09 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

<snip>

> > Not true because size doesn't matter. You can get excellent flavor from

PF
> > or BOP. It all depends on what satisfies your palate and only the

individual
> > can be the judge of that.

> And different leaf sizes can be appreciated for different times. I was
> given a wonderful Havukal Nilgiri breakfast tea that has very broken
> leaves and yet, even being a 2002, is absolutely delicious...
>
> ... but I wouldn't drink it in the evening.

Yes, breakfast teas are typically consumed in the morning and are likely to
be robust to jump-start your day. I don't agree that different leaf sizes
have anything to do with the time of day, however, because a blend such as
Russian Caravan also has broken leaves but is usually consumed in the
evening.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:39:09 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

<snip>

> > Not true because size doesn't matter. You can get excellent flavor from

PF
> > or BOP. It all depends on what satisfies your palate and only the

individual
> > can be the judge of that.

> And different leaf sizes can be appreciated for different times. I was
> given a wonderful Havukal Nilgiri breakfast tea that has very broken
> leaves and yet, even being a 2002, is absolutely delicious...
>
> ... but I wouldn't drink it in the evening.

Yes, breakfast teas are typically consumed in the morning and are likely to
be robust to jump-start your day. I don't agree that different leaf sizes
have anything to do with the time of day, however, because a blend such as
Russian Caravan also has broken leaves but is usually consumed in the
evening.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"DPM" > wrote in message news:jfgvd.3452$Zn6.2449@trnddc08...

> "Contrary to popular opinion, Orange Pekoe does not refer to a particular
> flavor, or even to a specific variety or quality or tea.

I fault Lipton for this rumor because I was under the same impression while
growing up. My dad drank Lipton, which I never liked, and it wasn't until I
started trying other teas, determined to stay away from the Orange Pekoe
that Lipton touted, that I learned the truth.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"DPM" > wrote in message news:jfgvd.3452$Zn6.2449@trnddc08...

> "Contrary to popular opinion, Orange Pekoe does not refer to a particular
> flavor, or even to a specific variety or quality or tea.

I fault Lipton for this rumor because I was under the same impression while
growing up. My dad drank Lipton, which I never liked, and it wasn't until I
started trying other teas, determined to stay away from the Orange Pekoe
that Lipton touted, that I learned the truth.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Falky foo

She knew absolutely nothing about tea. Here's the thing: the tea served at
basically all restaurants is about as high a quality as powdered Beagle
feces. So, 'OP,' being one slight step above pure crap, is considered "high
quality" at many restaurants.

"Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.
>
> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
> being the lowest of them. So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

Falky foo

"Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.
>
> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
> being the lowest of them. So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:36:25 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:39:09 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> <snip>
>>>
>>> Not true because size doesn't matter. You can get excellent flavor from
>>> PF or BOP. It all depends on what satisfies your palate and only the
>>> individual can be the judge of that.

>> And different leaf sizes can be appreciated for different times. I was
>> given a wonderful Havukal Nilgiri breakfast tea that has very broken
>> leaves and yet, even being a 2002, is absolutely delicious...
>>
>> ... but I wouldn't drink it in the evening.

> Yes, breakfast teas are typically consumed in the morning and are likely to
> be robust to jump-start your day. I don't agree that different leaf sizes
> have anything to do with the time of day, however, because a blend such as
> Russian Caravan also has broken leaves but is usually consumed in the
> evening.

Well, you're certainly free to disagree with me.

I find Russian Caravan to be too robust for an evening tea. In my
experience, broken leaf teas produce a beverage unsuited to evening
teas, but still very tasty in the proper setting. It's not a matter of
quality, just final flavor.

As you said, it's up to the individual's palate.

--
Derek

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any
to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.

Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:36:25 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:39:09 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> <snip>
>>>
>>> Not true because size doesn't matter. You can get excellent flavor from
>>> PF or BOP. It all depends on what satisfies your palate and only the
>>> individual can be the judge of that.

>> And different leaf sizes can be appreciated for different times. I was
>> given a wonderful Havukal Nilgiri breakfast tea that has very broken
>> leaves and yet, even being a 2002, is absolutely delicious...
>>
>> ... but I wouldn't drink it in the evening.

> Yes, breakfast teas are typically consumed in the morning and are likely to
> be robust to jump-start your day. I don't agree that different leaf sizes
> have anything to do with the time of day, however, because a blend such as
> Russian Caravan also has broken leaves but is usually consumed in the
> evening.

Well, you're certainly free to disagree with me.

I find Russian Caravan to be too robust for an evening tea. In my
experience, broken leaf teas produce a beverage unsuited to evening
teas, but still very tasty in the proper setting. It's not a matter of
quality, just final flavor.

As you said, it's up to the individual's palate.

--
Derek

It takes 43 muscles to frown and 17 to smile, but it doesn't take any
to just sit there with a dumb look on your face.
Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:42:23 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "DPM" > wrote in message news:jfgvd.3452$Zn6.2449@trnddc08...
>>
>> "Contrary to popular opinion, Orange Pekoe does not refer to a particular
>> flavor, or even to a specific variety or quality or tea.

> I fault Lipton for this rumor because I was under the same impression while
> growing up. My dad drank Lipton, which I never liked, and it wasn't until I
> started trying other teas, determined to stay away from the Orange Pekoe
> that Lipton touted, that I learned the truth.

What? You mean that it really wasn't supposed to taste like oranges to
begin with? (Which would be the misconception I grew up with.)

--
Derek

Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation, are
men who want crops without plowing the ground. -- Frederick Douglass,
abolitionist, editor and orator (1817-1895)
Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:42:23 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "DPM" > wrote in message news:jfgvd.3452$Zn6.2449@trnddc08...
>>
>> "Contrary to popular opinion, Orange Pekoe does not refer to a particular
>> flavor, or even to a specific variety or quality or tea.

> I fault Lipton for this rumor because I was under the same impression while
> growing up. My dad drank Lipton, which I never liked, and it wasn't until I
> started trying other teas, determined to stay away from the Orange Pekoe
> that Lipton touted, that I learned the truth.

What? You mean that it really wasn't supposed to taste like oranges to
begin with? (Which would be the misconception I grew up with.)

--
Derek

Those who profess to favor freedom and yet deprecate agitation, are
men who want crops without plowing the ground. -- Frederick Douglass,
abolitionist, editor and orator (1817-1895)
Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:36:25 GMT, Bluesea wrote:
>
> > "Derek" > wrote in message

> >> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:39:09 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> > <snip>

from

> >> And different leaf sizes can be appreciated for different times. I was
> >> given a wonderful Havukal Nilgiri breakfast tea that has very broken
> >> leaves and yet, even being a 2002, is absolutely delicious...
> >>
> >> ... but I wouldn't drink it in the evening.

> > Yes, breakfast teas are typically consumed in the morning and are likely

> > be robust to jump-start your day. I don't agree that different leaf

sizes
> > have anything to do with the time of day, however, because a blend such

as
> > Russian Caravan also has broken leaves but is usually consumed in the
> > evening.

> Well, you're certainly free to disagree with me.
>
> I find Russian Caravan to be too robust for an evening tea. In my
> experience, broken leaf teas produce a beverage unsuited to evening
> teas, but still very tasty in the proper setting. It's not a matter of
> quality, just final flavor.
>
> As you said, it's up to the individual's palate.

Yes. You know, I get the lighter effect from RC that some do. That may be
why it's an evening tea for me.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:36:25 GMT, Bluesea wrote:
>
> > "Derek" > wrote in message

> >> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 17:39:09 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> > <snip>

from

> >> And different leaf sizes can be appreciated for different times. I was
> >> given a wonderful Havukal Nilgiri breakfast tea that has very broken
> >> leaves and yet, even being a 2002, is absolutely delicious...
> >>
> >> ... but I wouldn't drink it in the evening.

> > Yes, breakfast teas are typically consumed in the morning and are likely

> > be robust to jump-start your day. I don't agree that different leaf

sizes
> > have anything to do with the time of day, however, because a blend such

as
> > Russian Caravan also has broken leaves but is usually consumed in the
> > evening.

> Well, you're certainly free to disagree with me.
>
> I find Russian Caravan to be too robust for an evening tea. In my
> experience, broken leaf teas produce a beverage unsuited to evening
> teas, but still very tasty in the proper setting. It's not a matter of
> quality, just final flavor.
>
> As you said, it's up to the individual's palate.

Yes. You know, I get the lighter effect from RC that some do. That may be
why it's an evening tea for me.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:42:23 GMT, Bluesea wrote:
>
> > "DPM" > wrote in message

> >> "Contrary to popular opinion, Orange Pekoe does not refer to a

particular
> >> flavor, or even to a specific variety or quality or tea.

> > I fault Lipton for this rumor because I was under the same impression

while
> > growing up. My dad drank Lipton, which I never liked, and it wasn't

until I
> > started trying other teas, determined to stay away from the Orange Pekoe
> > that Lipton touted, that I learned the truth.

> What? You mean that it really wasn't supposed to taste like oranges to
> begin with? (Which would be the misconception I grew up with.)

LOL! And, I like oranges which made the whole thing that much more puzzling.
I figured it was the Pekoe that was ruining it.

--
~~Bluesea~~who tried and tried and TRIED to like Lipton!

Bluesea

"Derek" > wrote in message ...
> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:42:23 GMT, Bluesea wrote:
>
> > "DPM" > wrote in message

> >> "Contrary to popular opinion, Orange Pekoe does not refer to a

particular
> >> flavor, or even to a specific variety or quality or tea.

> > I fault Lipton for this rumor because I was under the same impression

while
> > growing up. My dad drank Lipton, which I never liked, and it wasn't

until I
> > started trying other teas, determined to stay away from the Orange Pekoe
> > that Lipton touted, that I learned the truth.

> What? You mean that it really wasn't supposed to taste like oranges to
> begin with? (Which would be the misconception I grew up with.)

LOL! And, I like oranges which made the whole thing that much more puzzling.
I figured it was the Pekoe that was ruining it.

--
~~Bluesea~~who tried and tried and TRIED to like Lipton!

Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:49:53 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:42:23 GMT, Bluesea wrote:
>>
>>> "DPM" > wrote in message

> particular
>>>
>>> I fault Lipton for this rumor because I was under the same impression

> while
>>> growing up. My dad drank Lipton, which I never liked, and it wasn't

> until I
>>> started trying other teas, determined to stay away from the Orange Pekoe
>>> that Lipton touted, that I learned the truth.

>> What? You mean that it really wasn't supposed to taste like oranges to
>> begin with? (Which would be the misconception I grew up with.)

> LOL! And, I like oranges which made the whole thing that much more puzzling.
> I figured it was the Pekoe that was ruining it.

That makes two of us. Darnedest thing. And my parents, being coffee
drinkers, couldn't help me at all.

And it was, of course, in the days before the internet when I could
easily have answered this question from my bedroom. As it was, the few
300 Baud BBS systems I could access with my C-64 weren't of much help.
--
Derek

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by
doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Derek

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:49:53 GMT, Bluesea wrote:

> "Derek" > wrote in message ...
>> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:42:23 GMT, Bluesea wrote:
>>
>>> "DPM" > wrote in message

> particular
>>>
>>> I fault Lipton for this rumor because I was under the same impression

> while
>>> growing up. My dad drank Lipton, which I never liked, and it wasn't

> until I
>>> started trying other teas, determined to stay away from the Orange Pekoe
>>> that Lipton touted, that I learned the truth.

>> What? You mean that it really wasn't supposed to taste like oranges to
>> begin with? (Which would be the misconception I grew up with.)

> LOL! And, I like oranges which made the whole thing that much more puzzling.
> I figured it was the Pekoe that was ruining it.

That makes two of us. Darnedest thing. And my parents, being coffee
drinkers, couldn't help me at all.

And it was, of course, in the days before the internet when I could
easily have answered this question from my bedroom. As it was, the few
300 Baud BBS systems I could access with my C-64 weren't of much help.
--
Derek

When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by
doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do.
Tea

http://www.harvestfields.netfirms.co...a_glossary.htm

The answer is at the bottom of the page- all the grades are listed. The
grades here are for black teas. I hope this helps.

Tea

http://www.harvestfields.netfirms.co...a_glossary.htm

The answer is at the bottom of the page- all the grades are listed. The
grades here are for black teas. I hope this helps.

Michael Plant

So, Falky Foo, are we to surmise that your appeciation of restaurant teas
and OP ranks low? Well, I agree completely with your cogent analysis. Now,
what about those famous taste choices, dust and fannings. Logic would
strongly indicate that a relatively decent tea would not be ground to dust.
By the way, beagles are cool. Don't denigrate beagles. Thanks.

Michael

Falky m12/13/04

> She knew absolutely nothing about tea. Here's the thing: the tea served at
> basically all restaurants is about as high a quality as powdered Beagle
> feces. So, 'OP,' being one slight step above pure crap, is considered "high
> quality" at many restaurants.
>

> "Roy Smith" > wrote in message
>> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
>> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
>> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
>> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.
>>
>> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
>> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
>> being the lowest of them. So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
>> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
>> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

Michael Plant

So, Falky Foo, are we to surmise that your appeciation of restaurant teas
and OP ranks low? Well, I agree completely with your cogent analysis. Now,
what about those famous taste choices, dust and fannings. Logic would
strongly indicate that a relatively decent tea would not be ground to dust.
By the way, beagles are cool. Don't denigrate beagles. Thanks.

Michael

Falky m12/13/04

> She knew absolutely nothing about tea. Here's the thing: the tea served at
> basically all restaurants is about as high a quality as powdered Beagle
> feces. So, 'OP,' being one slight step above pure crap, is considered "high
> quality" at many restaurants.
>

> "Roy Smith" > wrote in message
>> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many kinds
>> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
>> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
>> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.
>>
>> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
>> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
>> being the lowest of them. So what were all the teas that didn't have OP
>> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
>> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

Falky foo

Well, perhaps ironically, my current girlfriend's last name is Fanning, and
she owns a Beagle. And boy do I make fun of that last name.

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> So, Falky Foo, are we to surmise that your appeciation of restaurant teas
> and OP ranks low? Well, I agree completely with your cogent analysis.

Now,
> what about those famous taste choices, dust and fannings. Logic would
> strongly indicate that a relatively decent tea would not be ground to

dust.
> By the way, beagles are cool. Don't denigrate beagles. Thanks.
>
> Michael
> >

> Falky m12/13/04
>

> > She knew absolutely nothing about tea. Here's the thing: the tea served

at
> > basically all restaurants is about as high a quality as powdered Beagle
> > feces. So, 'OP,' being one slight step above pure crap, is considered

"high
> > quality" at many restaurants.
> >

> > "Roy Smith" > wrote in message
> >> I had lunch in a restaurant today that specializes in serving many

kinds
> >> of tea. The list included many varieties that were marked "O.P". We
> >> asked the waitress what "O.P." meant and she said it meant high quality
> >> tea, but didn't know what the letters stood for.
> >>
> >> A little web searching this afternoon found the explanation
> >> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_Pekoe), but I'm still a little
> >> confused about something. The chart lists a bunch of grades, with OP
> >> being the lowest of them. So what were all the teas that didn't have

OP
> >> (or any letters) next to their name? Does that mean they're such a low
> >> grade they don't even rate the lowest rating?

Falky foo

orange pekoe - Tea 14 11-01-2007 03:16 PM
Twinings Ceylon Orange Pekoe Rob Tea 0 21-07-2005 05:38 AM
Orange Pekoe - as a kind of tea? Serendip Tea 8 21-02-2005 04:26 PM
My favourite tea is orange pekoe! Real Admiral Duncan O'Foggarty Humbudez Royal Pol Tea 4 30-06-2004 09:33 PM
Orange pekoe R R Tea 0 18-10-2003 03:19 PM