FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Sweet gunpowder? (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/424359-sweet-gunpowder.html)

Dario Niedermann 06-06-2013 09:31 AM

Sweet gunpowder?

I'm seriously starting to think that gunpowder tea only makes sense
with sugar: 2' in less-than-boiling water yields a nice smoky brew,
that I can only appreciate sweetened.

Previous experiments with shorter infusions, rinseing, cooler water,
and no sugar, never produced anything I'd like to drink. Then
again, I'm not really used to unsweetened tea, or even green tea
itself. Although I kind of like unsweetened jasmin tea.

--
ciao

Lewis Perin 06-06-2013 04:37 PM

Sweet gunpowder?

Dario Niedermann > writes:

>I'm seriously starting to think that gunpowder tea only makes sense
>with sugar: 2' in less-than-boiling water yields a nice smoky brew,
>that I can only appreciate sweetened.
>
>Previous experiments with shorter infusions, rinseing, cooler water,
>and no sugar, never produced anything I'd like to drink. Then
>again, I'm not really used to unsweetened tea, or even green tea
>itself. Although I kind of like unsweetened jasmin tea.

Maybe you should try better quality green tea? Of course, its possible
that you simply have a very low tolerance for bitterness - some people
are €świred€ť that way.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://babelcarp.org

Dario Niedermann 07-06-2013 12:03 PM

Sweet gunpowder?

Lewis Perin > wrote:

> Maybe you should try better quality green tea?

That's always a possibility. However, I really like the latest gunpowder
I've been able to find: It's so much more flavourful than the Twinings,
which is my only term of comparison for this kind of tea, so far.

> Of course, its possible that you simply have a very low tolerance
> for bitterness - some people are €świred€ť that way.

Supertasters, as they're known. I've been wondering if I might be one. I
do like beer, though. OTOH, I find unsweetened coffee simply impossible
to drink.

--
Auf wiederhören

Lewis Perin 07-06-2013 05:01 PM

Sweet gunpowder?

Dario Niedermann > writes:

>Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
>> Maybe you should try better quality green tea?

>That's always a possibility. However, I really like the latest gunpowder
>I've been able to find: It's so much more flavourful than the Twinings,
>which is my only term of comparison for this kind of tea, so far.
>
>> Of course, its possible that you simply have a very low tolerance
>> for bitterness - some people are €świred€ť that way.

>Supertasters, as they're known. I've been wondering if I might be one. I
>do like beer, though. OTOH, I find unsweetened coffee simply impossible
>to drink.

I suspect that so-called supertasters have an advantage over the rest of
us when tasting something totally unfamiliar and also when for some
reason its hard to concentrate. With a lot of experience drinking tea,
I think neuronormals can discern as much in the cup as supertasters in a
relaxed setting.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /