Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Sweet gunpowder?

I'm seriously starting to think that gunpowder tea only makes sense
with sugar: 2' in less-than-boiling water yields a nice smoky brew,
that I can only appreciate sweetened.

Previous experiments with shorter infusions, rinseing, cooler water,
and no sugar, never produced anything I'd like to drink. Then
again, I'm not really used to unsweetened tea, or even green tea
itself. Although I kind of like unsweetened jasmin tea.

--
ciao

Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dario Niedermann writes:

I'm seriously starting to think that gunpowder tea only makes sense
with sugar: 2' in less-than-boiling water yields a nice smoky brew,
that I can only appreciate sweetened.

Previous experiments with shorter infusions, rinseing, cooler water,
and no sugar, never produced anything I'd like to drink. Then
again, I'm not really used to unsweetened tea, or even green tea
itself. Although I kind of like unsweetened jasmin tea.

Maybe you should try better quality green tea? Of course, its possible
that you simply have a very low tolerance for bitterness - some people
are €świred€ť that way.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://babelcarp.org
Old 07-06-2013, 12:03 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Lewis Perin wrote:

Maybe you should try better quality green tea?

That's always a possibility. However, I really like the latest gunpowder
I've been able to find: It's so much more flavourful than the Twinings,
which is my only term of comparison for this kind of tea, so far.

Of course, its possible that you simply have a very low tolerance
for bitterness - some people are €świred€ť that way.

Supertasters, as they're known. I've been wondering if I might be one. I
do like beer, though. OTOH, I find unsweetened coffee simply impossible
to drink.

--
Auf wiederhören
Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Dario Niedermann writes:

Lewis Perin wrote:

Maybe you should try better quality green tea?

That's always a possibility. However, I really like the latest gunpowder
I've been able to find: It's so much more flavourful than the Twinings,
which is my only term of comparison for this kind of tea, so far.

Of course, its possible that you simply have a very low tolerance
for bitterness - some people are €świred€ť that way.

Supertasters, as they're known. I've been wondering if I might be one. I
do like beer, though. OTOH, I find unsweetened coffee simply impossible
to drink.

I suspect that so-called supertasters have an advantage over the rest of
us when tasting something totally unfamiliar and also when for some
reason its hard to concentrate. With a lot of experience drinking tea,
I think neuronormals can discern as much in the cup as supertasters in a
relaxed setting.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://babelcarp.org

Gunpowder Green? Aaron W. Hsu Tea 4 28-10-2009 01:55 PM
Gunpowder Tea Alan Truism Tea 4 14-12-2006 04:56 AM
Gunpowder Tea Scott Dorsey Tea 0 03-11-2006 06:09 PM
Gunpowder Tea Alan Truism General 1 01-11-2006 03:54 PM
Gunpowder tea - Where to buy? Fred Carpenter Tea 0 05-01-2004 11:13 PM