FoodBanter.com

-   Tea (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/)
-   -   Darjeeling never fresh enough (https://www.foodbanter.com/tea/408568-darjeeling-never-fresh-enough.html)

Space Cowboy 21-06-2011 01:37 PM

Darjeeling never fresh enough

Every year my local tea shoppe always stocks some Darjeeling estate
1st and 2nd flush from the late spring and fall respectively. This
year the 1st flush is from the Thurbo estate. It is tantalizing
complex with more fruity tones than muscatel. According to my tea
shoppe the 1st flush from this year suffers from drought so maybe the
taste suffers a little. They were happy to even stock this estate.
What struck me as I remember tasting Darjeeling flushes from the
previous years it always lacked a little umph or pizazz. It occurred
to me maybe the Darjeeling isnt fresh enough even when drank within
months of production. You would think every since the late 1800s the
Champagne of Teas would have a reputation of losing some of its
vitality with age which doesnt seem to be the case mentioned by its
connoisseurs. I still have Darjeeling from the mid 80s I enjoy very
much but more heavy than light. I know this argument can be applied
to any tea but I think it applies especially to Darjeeling.

Jim