Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Can I replace tea leaves with tea bags in a recipe?

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> satokenta > wrote:
>> I am making Chinese Tea eggs. The recipe calls for 2 tbsp black tea, but
>> I only have black tea bags (Lipton). Can I replace the leaves by slicing
>> open the bags and measuring out two tbsp (or more) of its contents? Can
>> I just use it in tea bag form? Please advise.

> You probably could, but you may want to reduce the amount of tea used
> because the fannings used in the tea bag are very, very fine.
>
> You also should note that Lipton's doesn't really taste very good, and
> in a dish where the tea flavour is dominant, you might want to use a
> better tea. You will miss out on all of the smoky flavour that good
> tea-marinated eggs have.
> --scott

Lipton's black tea is the worst. To get any flavor
at all you have to pour boiling
water on it.

I would think that the tea leaves in the bags
would still contain some nutrients and
also a little fiber, so they could be used in
other dishes.