Tea (rec.drink.tea) Discussion relating to tea, the world's second most consumed beverage (after water), made by infusing or boiling the leaves of the tea plant (C. sinensis or close relatives) in water.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default Nano technology in teas

Im not sure what is being said here even with the help of Google
translator:
http://tinyurl.com/y9adozn
Sounds like a form of genetic engineering which doesnt bother me
perse. If you look around you will see references to the blood-brain
barrier. That does bother me for some reason. It is absorbed
directly into the blood stream from what I understand. I wished
people would stop marketing tea as a miracle cure.

Jim
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

I read the whole thing in Chinese. It's strange. Never heard of
anything like it before. The black tea undergoes wodui fermentation.
Then the tea is reprocessed using nanotechnology to become selenium
enriched. At the bottom it says some tea growing regions have soils
naturally rich in selenium. That is then abosorbed into the tea. But
only 10% of that selenium ends up in the tea infusion that you drink;
meaning 90% is wasted. So they came up with a way of using
nanotechnology to help the tea growing in the selenium rich area to be
better expressed in the tea. According to the text, selenium has a lot
of benefit to the human body.

Still, it's very strange. Without understanding the process fully, I
wouldn't try it. Doesn't seem natural. If you wanted selenium, since
it's already naturally present in the leaves, why not just grind it
into powder and then infuse the powder in hot water?

Or maybe their "nanotechnology" process is exactly to grind the leaves
into fine particle size, which you then infuse in hot water, meaning
you get full benefit from the selenium in the leaves, since you also
then consume the leaf?

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

I just read the other page about nanotechnology processing. They are
using it with Chinese herbal medicine to increase the effectiveness,
and even to produce new medicinal effects from herbs by reducing
particle size the the nano level. This kind of medicine could then be
formulated into injections, tablet form, etc.

Navigating to the page on types of nano teas, they look like instant
tea packets And that's exactly what they are. There's oolong tea,
white tea, yellow tea, red tea, green tea, black tea, puer tea, etc.
Basically, it's all instant tea that's readily dissolvable in either
cold or hot water.

I tried to navigate to the page where it says how small the particles
are, but that didn't open.

But instant tea packets were around long before nanotechnology. So I
don't know what this tea has to do with that. It could be just some
kind of marketing gimmick. Whatever the case, I don't think nanotech
should be used in food.
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default Nano technology in teas

niisonge

Thanks for the interpretation. Plugging the Chinese characters ׸ڲ
meaning nano enriched selenium black tea into Google I found this link
a little more informative:
http://tinyurl.com/ybwd4y4
Basically the Chinese arent getting enough selenium in their diet.

Ironically I have a medical condition that benefits from selenium. At
this time of year it comes in the form of Brazil nuts which are so
rich with the mineral the daily allowance is only 3-4 nuts. Anymore
and you risk poisoning.

PS I like how Google comes up with Ottawa Stack from WoDui ;-). I use
the Google translator so much Im starting to understand Chinese more
through the mistranslation than if I go through the grammar myself.
Ive always envied people who understand a second language.

On Dec 12, 7:47 am, niisonge > wrote:
> I just read the other page about nanotechnology processing. They are
> using it with Chinese herbal medicine to increase the effectiveness,
> and even to produce new medicinal effects from herbs by reducing
> particle size the the nano level. This kind of medicine could then be
> formulated into injections, tablet form, etc.
>
> Navigating to the page on types of nano teas, they look like instant
> tea packets And that's exactly what they are. There's oolong tea,
> white tea, yellow tea, red tea, green tea, black tea, puer tea, etc.
> Basically, it's all instant tea that's readily dissolvable in either
> cold or hot water.
>
> I tried to navigate to the page where it says how small the particles
> are, but that didn't open.
>
> But instant tea packets were around long before nanotechnology. So I
> don't know what this tea has to do with that. It could be just some
> kind of marketing gimmick. Whatever the case, I don't think nanotech
> should be used in food.


  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

> PS I like how Google comes up with Ottawa Stack from WoDui ;-).
Ok, quick, new addition to the Bablecarp:
Ottawa Stack: the Googlated version of "WoDui".


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

> a little more informative:http://tinyurl.com/ybwd4y4

That website doen't satisfy my curiosity. Much of it is just a copy
from the other page. In this case, the older leaves of Tieguanyin are
used. They're fermented and then immediately freeze dried. (It doesn't
say this, but I supposed it's made into soluble tea crystals.) But
what I don't understand is, why go to all the trouble of
nanotechnology to enrich the tea? Why not just fortify the tea with a
blend of vitamins and minerals - like they do with cereal and other
food products?

And if it is manufactured at a nanoparticle size, how safe is that to
have in your home? When you put the tea into the cup, how much of
those nanoparticles are going to fly up into your nose and mouth and
into the lungs? What if you sneeze just at that moment? And when you
drink the tea, and smell it, are nanoparticles going into the lungs?
And what if those nanoparticles cause mesothelioma? Scary stuff.

I don't like the technolatry of tea. Tea should be a natural product.
Let's keep it that way and not mess up a good thing.
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default Nano technology in teas

Reminds me of my grandparents using snuff. Tobacco so fine when
inhaled through the nose was absorbed immediately into the brain.
Wasnt there something about nano TGY killing the HIV1 virus. Wouldnt
nano particles be so fine you couldnt see them. This seems a
complicated solution to a problem that could be solved by simpler
means as you suggested. I constantly get email from one local tea
shoppe about the lastest health benefit of tea. I disagree with them
about presenting it that way even to a small extent as they do. But
then I dont make a living selling tea.

Jim

On Dec 12, 8:56 am, niisonge > wrote:
> > a little more informative:http://tinyurl.com/ybwd4y4

>
> That website doen't satisfy my curiosity. Much of it is just a copy
> from the other page. In this case, the older leaves of Tieguanyin are
> used. They're fermented and then immediately freeze dried. (It doesn't
> say this, but I supposed it's made into soluble tea crystals.) But
> what I don't understand is, why go to all the trouble of
> nanotechnology to enrich the tea? Why not just fortify the tea with a
> blend of vitamins and minerals - like they do with cereal and other
> food products?
>
> And if it is manufactured at a nanoparticle size, how safe is that to
> have in your home? When you put the tea into the cup, how much of
> those nanoparticles are going to fly up into your nose and mouth and
> into the lungs? What if you sneeze just at that moment? And when you
> drink the tea, and smell it, are nanoparticles going into the lungs?
> And what if those nanoparticles cause mesothelioma? Scary stuff.
>
> I don't like the technolatry of tea. Tea should be a natural product.
> Let's keep it that way and not mess up a good thing.

  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

> Wasnt there something about nano TGY killing the HIV1 virus. *Wouldnt
> nano particles be so fine you couldnt see them.


Yes, they did say nanoparticle selenium enriched tea was beneficial to
HIV patients. But without a scientific paper or link to another
webiste with the same info, who knows what to believe?

> This seems a complicated solution to a problem that could be solved
> by simpler means as you suggested. *


Exactly; and that's my point. There are some agents that want to bring
tea into the technological age. But maybe that's really not what's
best for what is a natural product. We drink tea because it's natural.
Therefore, we don't want it technologically enhanced just for the sake
of technology.

>I constantly get email from one local tea shoppe about the lastest
> health benefit of tea. *


You should point out to them that it's not good to just blindly tout
all the health benefits without stating the contraindications, for
example people who get stomach ulcers (stay away from TGY) or even any
tea, since it could worsen the situation. People who are prone to
gallstones as well should not drink too much tea; etc. The list goes
on. From a legal perspective, as a business, you want to minimize your
exposure to risk. So it's not good to gloss over the risks of over-
consumption of tea. It would also be smarter to position your business
as someone who cares about the customer's health and well-being rather
than just put out the message "here, drink this it will cure
everything you got; and buy lots of it because it's good for you".
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default Nano technology in teas

I wouldnt mind drinking tea from a steaming heap of Ottawa TGY if they
made that ;-). Ive passed a couple of kidney stones in my lifetime.
Doesnt stop me from drinking tea. I realized a long time ago I
couldnt start a tea shoppe. Id have to give people what they wanted.

Jim

On Dec 12, 10:44 am, niisonge > wrote:
> > Wasnt there something about nano TGY killing the HIV1 virus. Wouldnt
> > nano particles be so fine you couldnt see them.

>
> Yes, they did say nanoparticle selenium enriched tea was beneficial to
> HIV patients. But without a scientific paper or link to another
> webiste with the same info, who knows what to believe?
>
> > This seems a complicated solution to a problem that could be solved
> > by simpler means as you suggested.

>
> Exactly; and that's my point. There are some agents that want to bring
> tea into the technological age. But maybe that's really not what's
> best for what is a natural product. We drink tea because it's natural.
> Therefore, we don't want it technologically enhanced just for the sake
> of technology.
>
> >I constantly get email from one local tea shoppe about the lastest
> > health benefit of tea.

>
> You should point out to them that it's not good to just blindly tout
> all the health benefits without stating the contraindications, for
> example people who get stomach ulcers (stay away from TGY) or even any
> tea, since it could worsen the situation. People who are prone to
> gallstones as well should not drink too much tea; etc. The list goes
> on. From a legal perspective, as a business, you want to minimize your
> exposure to risk. So it's not good to gloss over the risks of over-
> consumption of tea. It would also be smarter to position your business
> as someone who cares about the customer's health and well-being rather
> than just put out the message "here, drink this it will cure
> everything you got; and buy lots of it because it's good for you".

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default Nano technology in teas

niisonge > writes:

> > PS I like how Google comes up with Ottawa Stack from WoDui ;-).

> Ok, quick, new addition to the Bablecarp:
> Ottawa Stack: the Googlated version of "WoDui".


The carp may be a bottom feeder, but there are some things it just
can't digest.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html


  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

> The carp may be a bottom feeder, but there are some things it just
> can't digest.


The carp is ok. But machine translations/web translators are so
unreliable - you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Certainly can't
catch nuances in meaning.

On another note, someone stole my egg on Sanzui - no way to get it
back now. :-(

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

Sorry Lew,

"Ok" is a little too casual. What I should have said is the Bablecarp
is an excellent online resource for tea terminology - the only one of
its kind. And it is much appreciated.



  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default Nano technology in teas

Does anyone know if BabelCarp has a Chinese name with the characters
beyond the apparent literal interpretation. If it doesnt it should.
Ive noticed Google gives a better translation for the more scientific
or scholarly text. I use it with Sanzui and it doesnt even make sense
ie it fails to understand using my favorite Senate word of the month
colloquially.

Jim

PS Niisonge how do I recognize you on Sanzui.

On Dec 13, 11:11 am, niisonge > wrote:
> > The carp may be a bottom feeder, but there are some things it just
> > can't digest.

>
> The carp is ok. But machine translations/web translators are so
> unreliable - you don't know whether to laugh or cry. Certainly can't
> catch nuances in meaning.
>
> On another note, someone stole my egg on Sanzui - no way to get it
> back now. :-(

  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default Nano technology in teas

niisonge > writes:

> Sorry Lew,
>
> "Ok" is a little too casual. What I should have said is the Bablecarp
> is an excellent online resource for tea terminology - the only one of
> its kind. And it is much appreciated.


No need to apologize, Warren - I didn't take offense. But it's very
nice to read your followup.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default Nano technology in teas

Space Cowboy > writes:

> Does anyone know if BabelCarp has a Chinese name with the characters
> beyond the apparent literal interpretation. If it doesnt it should.


Sorry, but I really don't know what you're asking. Could you clarify,
or give an example?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html


  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default Nano technology in teas

I suppose I could come up with a literal translation of BabelCarp
using Chinese characters. If I use Google it comes me ͱ for the
phonetication of Babel and the carp translation . It struck me Ive
never seen your preferred moniker for BabelCarp in Chinese mentioned
here.

Jim

On Dec 14, 8:59 am, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> Space Cowboy > writes:
> > Does anyone know if BabelCarp has a Chinese name with the characters
> > beyond the apparent literal interpretation. If it doesnt it should.

>
> Sorry, but I really don't know what you're asking. Could you clarify,
> or give an example?
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

> PS Niisonge how do I recognize you on Sanzui.

On Sanzui, I go by the user name Ʈӥ. I don't post that often on
there - only when there's a new topic that interests me. Some of the
older threads from 2004 are still going on there, haha. But it's too
much time to wade through all of the replies. Just too many pages. I
mainly hang out on just to listen to Chinese radio.
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default Nano technology in teas

Space Cowboy > writes:

> I suppose I could come up with a literal translation of BabelCarp
> using Chinese characters. If I use Google it comes me ͱ for the
> phonetication of Babel and the carp translation . It struck me Ive
> never seen your preferred moniker for BabelCarp in Chinese mentioned
> here.


Oh, I see. Actually, I've never looked into this. The actual name is
a pun involving the not-so-great Altavista translation site Babelfish
and the magnificent organism of the same name known to readers of _The
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy_. If I'd known when I first put up
the site that it would take up so much of my time, I probably would've
picked a less jokey name.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

> I suppose I could come up with a literal translation of BabelCarp
> using Chinese characters. If I use Google it comes me ͱ for the
> phonetication of Babel and the carp translation .


IMHO, it would need a better re-working in Chinese, rather than to
just use a literal translation. It's very important for Chinese to use
nice sounding, catchy names; rather than literal translation of the
English.

For example, you could try:
ʵ (Bao Cha Ci Dian) Precious Tea Dictionary
Where Bao is a "b" word to like Babel.

Or maybe:
ʵ (Bao Li Ci Dian) Precious Carp Tea Dictionary


Something like that anyway. The first example is better than the
second, IMO.
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 642
Default Nano technology in teas

niisonge > wrote:
>> Wasnt there something about nano TGY killing the HIV1 virus. =A0Wouldnt
>> nano particles be so fine you couldnt see them.

>
>Yes, they did say nanoparticle selenium enriched tea was beneficial to
>HIV patients. But without a scientific paper or link to another
>webiste with the same info, who knows what to believe?


Tea is beneficial to everyone at every time. When you are hot, it is cooling.
When you are cold, it is warming. When you are sleepy it will wake you up
and when you are nervous it will calm you down.

The nanotechnology bit is just marketing nonsense. Have a cup of tea instead
of listening to that stuff.
--scott

--
"C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."


  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default Nano technology in teas

niisonge > writes:

> > I suppose I could come up with a literal translation of BabelCarp
> > using Chinese characters. If I use Google it comes me ͱ for the
> > phonetication of Babel and the carp translation .

>
> IMHO, it would need a better re-working in Chinese, rather than to
> just use a literal translation. It's very important for Chinese to use
> nice sounding, catchy names; rather than literal translation of the
> English.
>
> For example, you could try:
> ʵ (Bao Cha Ci Dian) Precious Tea Dictionary
> Where Bao is a "b" word to like Babel.


How about Bo2 (abundant) rather than Bao3 (treasure, precious)? Each
entry may be right or wrong, but hey, there are almost 2700 of them by
now!

(Not that I'll necessarily go ahead and adorn the thing with Hanzi...)

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

> How about Bo2 (abundant) rather than Bao3 (treasure, precious)? Each
> entry may be right or wrong, but hey, there are almost 2700 of them by
> now!


Yes, that can be a good choice too:
ʵ (Bo Cha Ci Dian) which could mean "Extensive Tea Dictionary" or
"Learned Tea Dictionary"
where the character "Bo" is taken to mean 㲩 (extensive)or
(learned)
  #23 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default Nano technology in teas

XieXie. One of these days I will venture forth with my self taught
Chinese on Sanzui. I just havent got around to it. If I run across
Chinese Que Paso I can usually get an answer here like with nano
technology.

Jim

On Dec 14, 11:15 am, niisonge > wrote:
> > PS Niisonge how do I recognize you on Sanzui.

>
> On Sanzui, I go by the user name Ʈӥ. I don't post that often on
> there - only when there's a new topic that interests me. Some of the
> older threads from 2004 are still going on there, haha. But it's too
> much time to wade through all of the replies. Just too many pages. I
> mainly hang out on just to listen to Chinese radio.

  #24 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

>If I run across Chinese Que Paso I can usually get an answer
>here like with nano technology.


Yeah, that's right, you can just ask on here and get an answer right
away anyway.

  #25 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

> The nanotechnology bit is just marketing nonsense. *Have a cup of tea instead
> of listening to that stuff.


Yes, that's right, and I think I will skip the instant tea powder.


  #26 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default Nano technology in teas

BTW, how come nobody posts on here, or joins in discussions? This list
and so many other tea lists seem almost lifeless. It's much more fun
on Sanzui. Lots of posts everyday, and better set-up. We should have a
better, more powerful forum than one like this. This posting method is
ancient.



  #27 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default Nano technology in teas

niisonge > writes:

> > How about Bo2 (abundant) rather than Bao3 (treasure, precious)? Each
> > entry may be right or wrong, but hey, there are almost 2700 of them by
> > now!

>
> Yes, that can be a good choice too:
> ʵ (Bo Cha Ci Dian) which could mean "Extensive Tea Dictionary" or
> "Learned Tea Dictionary"
> where the character "Bo" is taken to mean 㲩 (extensive)or
> (learned)


More extensive than learned, I fear. Thanks!

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html
  #28 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 119
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

On 2009-12-14, niisonge > wrote:

> BTW, how come nobody posts on here, or joins in discussions? This list
> and so many other tea lists seem almost lifeless. It's much more fun
> on Sanzui. Lots of posts everyday, and better set-up. We should have a
> better, more powerful forum than one like this. This posting method is
> ancient.


Hey Warren! Good to see you still posting here.

Keep in mind that Google Groups is just one way to access USENET. For
better or worse, USENET isn't that popular today -- it's not just this
newsgroup that's suffering a loss of activity. Like it or not, a lot of
folks who used to post here have moved on to other places. And while
there are some great people left here, there are also some slightly....
well let's just say "eccentric" folks, some of whom post quite a lot.

One advantage of USENET is that no one (whether a company or individual)
owns it, and the information is likely to be preserved for quite a long
time. Since a newsgroup is not a forum, I don't know if it's fair to say
that we should have a "better, more powerful forum" - newsgroups are a
little closer to email than to a web-based forum by nature, and that's
not going to change. Anyway, to me, it's the community more than the
interface itself, that really matters.

I think a lot of the traffic that used to be here has moved to forums
like Teachat. While there are some disadvantages to supporting a site
run by a tea vendor (especially one who attracts some pretty clueless
customers), I do find that there's a little more action over there. Of
course there is also a lot of noise.

Shameless (but, I think, relevant) self-promotion -- I have started my
own forum, mostly focused on Chinese and (to a lesser extent so far),
Japanese tea, which is still growing and building critical mass
(slowly). I've posted about it on this group in the past, and my
signature has details. You are welcome to join / post information,
questions, photos, etc. The site isn't the nicest looking thing, and
could use a face lift, but comments and suggestions for improvements are
welcome in the relevant sections of the forum. What it really needs is
more users and more active discussions.

It's a little unfair to compare any of these communities to Sanzui,
Tea4u, Potsart or any of the other Chinese language tea / teaware forums
simply because I think there is still quite a bit more knowledge and
interest in tea in Chinese language communities (though I am seeing more
participation in English language tea communities from ethnic Chinese
who live in Malaysia and other SE Asian countries). The reason those
communities are so active is because they have a lot of members, not
because they have a nice forum interface.

--
Multi-lingual forum for Chinese and Japanese tea and teawa
http://teadrunk.org/

  #29 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

Will, I just signed up. I agree, it could use a facelift. It's not as
easy to use as Sanzui. And I agree, there should be more users. Maybe
that will improve as time goes on. Let's hope for the best.



> Shameless (but, I think, relevant) self-promotion -- I have started my
> own forum, mostly focused on Chinese and (to a lesser extent so far),
> Japanese tea, which is still growing and building critical mass
> (slowly). I've posted about it on this group in the past, and my
> signature has details. You are welcome to join / post information,
> questions, photos, etc. The site isn't the nicest looking thing, and
> could use a face lift, but comments and suggestions for improvements are
> welcome in the relevant sections of the forum. What it really needs is
> more users and more active discussions.


  #30 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

niisonge > writes:

>
> > Shameless (but, I think, relevant) self-promotion -- I have started my
> > own forum, mostly focused on Chinese and (to a lesser extent so far),
> > Japanese tea, which is still growing and building critical mass
> > (slowly). I've posted about it on this group in the past, and my
> > signature has details. You are welcome to join / post information,
> > questions, photos, etc. The site isn't the nicest looking thing, and
> > could use a face lift, but comments and suggestions for improvements are
> > welcome in the relevant sections of the forum. What it really needs is
> > more users and more active discussions.

>
> Will, I just signed up. I agree, it could use a facelift. It's not as
> easy to use as Sanzui. And I agree, there should be more users. Maybe
> that will improve as time goes on. Let's hope for the best.


I completely agree with Will's point that the trouble with all English
language tea venues on the Net is simply that there aren't enough
people writing for them. Every other issue is minor compared to this.

But speaking of minor issues, Will, any chance of RSS for teadrunk?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html


  #31 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 119
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

On 2009-12-15, Lewis Perin > wrote:
>
> But speaking of minor issues, Will, any chance of RSS for teadrunk?


I believe PunBB already has builtin support for it.
[new topics]
http://teadrunk.org/extern.php?action=new&type=rss
[recently active topics]
http://teadrunk.org/extern.php?action=active&type=rss

--
Multi-lingual forum for Chinese and Japanese tea and teawa
http://teadrunk.org/

  #32 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

> I completely agree with Will's point that the trouble with all English
> language tea venues on the Net is simply that there aren't enough
> people writing for them. *Every other issue is minor compared to this.


Yes, that's the problem, not enough people, and every forum is getting
somewhat diluted too, so many of them. People also seem to blog more
to their own tea blogs than post on forums.

Maybe in the future, we could have a specially designed tea site that
incorporates blogging, tea forums, photo albums, and a profile page
like Facebook - but only for tea people; and an IM feature; and other
features.

Like I said, Sanzui is quite good now, but they are using off the
shelf software designed by a Chinese company to run the site. I like
it. Very user friendly, and I already have 45 tea friends on my list.
They're adding a chat feature soon too, which means I can chat with my
buddies on there, instead of just sending a shout out. Well, that's on
the Sanzui Cun page, which is separate from the regular forum page.
The forum page is still pretty much as it was before.

One difference with Sanzui though is that many tea professionals use
the site. Tea shop owners, tea factories, everyone in the tea industry
is represented on there. And they use it because it's also part of
their job. Then there are also many tea enthusiasts too.

It's too bad there's nothing on the English web like that - yet.
  #33 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

Google wont let me spruce up RFDT with imbedded HTML like IMG and
QUOTE because there is the USENET Newsreader legacy. The best I can
do is HTTP links. Ive been putzing around on Sanzui. You need an
Account. The Forum makes you pigeon hole your thread in six
categories. I didnt see any appropriate place for a question on Nano
tea technology. It seems more like a social network site based on
tea. Lots of bells and whistles with glitz and glamor. But its like
going to Las Vegas. Been in one casino been in them all ie video
poker is video poker etc. My wife got lost once in one and the
security guards had to go find her. You can get lost in Sanzui. My
biggest quarrel is the 'new' posts. Theyre are only good for 24
hours. So if there is a break in the activity the thread rolls off.
So if I reply today and nobody replies tomorrow the thread essentially
disappears. It wouldnt be too bad if thread activity was identified
by last post. Any date on the thread is when created. Im not a big
fan of a vendor telling me their tea is better than the another guy.
Duh. That does add to the noise in the form of 'new' threads.
Besides the artificial categories, vendor salespitches and threads
that are more than a day old it is a tea posters dream. Its enough to
make me break out my bad Chinese grammar.

Jim

PS One last picadillo. There is a search function in the lower right
by subject,content,author. No matter what I put in using Chinese
characters it essentially says 'not found'. I can backdoor the site
using Google which gives me subject,content but not author. Im
chasing more information on ˳ SunYiShun Luan. Im not finding
anymore than what I already know.

On Dec 15, 7:40 pm, niisonge > wrote:
> > I completely agree with Will's point that the trouble with all English
> > language tea venues on the Net is simply that there aren't enough
> > people writing for them. Every other issue is minor compared to this.

>
> Yes, that's the problem, not enough people, and every forum is getting
> somewhat diluted too, so many of them. People also seem to blog more
> to their own tea blogs than post on forums.
>
> Maybe in the future, we could have a specially designed tea site that
> incorporates blogging, tea forums, photo albums, and a profile page
> like Facebook - but only for tea people; and an IM feature; and other
> features.
>
> Like I said, Sanzui is quite good now, but they are using off the
> shelf software designed by a Chinese company to run the site. I like
> it. Very user friendly, and I already have 45 tea friends on my list.
> They're adding a chat feature soon too, which means I can chat with my
> buddies on there, instead of just sending a shout out. Well, that's on
> the Sanzui Cun page, which is separate from the regular forum page.
> The forum page is still pretty much as it was before.
>
> One difference with Sanzui though is that many tea professionals use
> the site. Tea shop owners, tea factories, everyone in the tea industry
> is represented on there. And they use it because it's also part of
> their job. Then there are also many tea enthusiasts too.
>
> It's too bad there's nothing on the English web like that - yet.

  #34 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

Will Yardley > writes:

> On 2009-12-15, Lewis Perin > wrote:
> >
> > But speaking of minor issues, Will, any chance of RSS for teadrunk?

>
> I believe PunBB already has builtin support for it.
> [new topics]
> http://teadrunk.org/extern.php?action=new&type=rss
> [recently active topics]
> http://teadrunk.org/extern.php?action=active&type=rss


Thanks. I don't believe those URLs are accessible from the site
itself, though, are they?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html
  #35 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

> Google wont let me spruce up RFDT with imbedded HTML like IMG and
> QUOTE because there is the USENET Newsreader legacy. *The best I can
> do is HTTP links. *

That's my point, it has its limitations.

>Ive been putzing around on Sanzui. *You need an
> Account. *The Forum makes you pigeon hole your thread in six
> categories. *I didnt see any appropriate place for a question on Nano
> tea technology. *It seems more like a social network site based on
> tea. *Lots of bells and whistles with glitz and glamor. *


That's right, you actually have to sign up for an account before you
can post a thread or post a reply. But here's the catch: if you're a
newbie posting isn't allowed initially. And believe me, all that glitz
and glamor is useful on Sanzui.


> biggest quarrel is the 'new' posts. *Theyre are only good for 24
> hours. *So if there is a break in the activity the thread rolls off.


Well, a lot of people post or reply to a thread, so that's why things
get switched around. Depends on number of new posts and new replies
to older threads. And also the forum. The Chamagudao forum for Puer is
by far the most active. Other categories post less, but still there is
heavy traffic. Depends on the type of post. Someone posted a series of
pics of a pretty woman brewing tea in a kitchen. That post got a lot
of attention and replies to be sure.

> Besides the artificial categories, vendor salespitches and threads
> that are more than a day old it is a tea posters dream. *


I don't really see any sales pitches on there. People are pretty good
about that. China is a big contry anyway, there are plenty of
customers. No need to go to a forum like Sanzui and make sales
pitches. Lots of banner ads though to bring in revenue on the main
page. Mostly people are there to share their experiences in quality
differences and demonstrate why. That's why imbedded photos are so
useful. And it's what makes the site so useful. People can share their
experiences with their own photos. Or ask for expert opinion.

There was a question asking "If you tea experts have such a low
opinion of Dayi and Xiaguan puer teas as demonstrated in so many
posts, then please point out to us exactly which puer brands/companies
are better. I'm always drinking Dayi and Xiaguan; that means I'm
drinking garbage tea!" No concrete response though. People just said
Dayi and Xiaguan are ok.

> PS *One last picadillo. *There is a search function in the lower right
> by subject,content,author. *No matter what I put in using Chinese
> characters it essentially says 'not found'. *


Yeah, the search function is disabled for newbies. Sanzui is a site
based on hierarchy. The lower you are, the less options you can do.
And the way to increase your rank on the tea totem pole, so to speak,
is to post a lot and post often. Or at least reply to other posts. But
putting in just a smiley or 1 word won't do. You get punished for that
by the Sanzui cops; take away some of your points. That's just their
etiquette on there.

So basically, the people that have been on the longest and posted the
most get all the bells and whistles.



  #36 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

One cool thing I saw on Sanzui today, and this is the beauty of forums
with photos, a guy investigated the differences between Yongchun
Foshou and Anxi Tieguanyin. Yongchun is only about an hour drive at
most away from Anxi's Tea Capital - over narrow, winding mountain
roads - from what I can remember anyway.
He compared a fresh leaf of Foshou to that of TGY. The Foshou leaf was
much larger and fatter than the Tieguanyin. In another photo, he
showed a Foshou tea leaf larger than the size of the hand.

1 fresh TGY leaf: delightful; 1 super size Foshou leaf photo:
priceless.
  #37 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,231
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

I extracted the following from the Puer Moderator rules:

.ҵΪָкѯۡ۵ҵ Ϊӡ
ʽֱɾգ潫ܶΥ߽п ҡ澯ʾԼ÷ID

Does it mean Business postings arent allowed, ie will be deleted. I
dont mind someone asking someone else where they get their tea but I
hate it when a vendor pops in with his salespitch. I thought it
interesting tea vendors in China have all the customers they can
handle.

When is the search function enabled for 'newbies'. If nothing else I
can paste ubiquitous posts to earn brownie points. I think all I see
is a reply box and not new box.

Jim

PS I saw the Dayi Xiaguan thread. When I was collecting puer I
stayed away from the big boys. I preferred the smaller factories. If
you take a look at the Western puer forums the big guys are in because
they produce a consistent superior product compared to the fly by
night anything goes little guys. You cant win for losing.

On Dec 16, 10:06 am, niisonge > wrote:
....If it looks like a duck...
> I don't really see any sales pitches on there. People are pretty good
> about that. China is a big contry anyway, there are plenty of
> customers. No need to go to a forum like Sanzui and make sales
> pitches. Lots of banner ads though to bring in revenue on the main
> page. Mostly people are there to share their experiences in quality
> differences and demonstrate why. That's why imbedded photos are so
> useful. And it's what makes the site so useful. People can share their
> experiences with their own photos. Or ask for expert opinion.
>
> There was a question asking "If you tea experts have such a low
> opinion of Dayi and Xiaguan puer teas as demonstrated in so many
> posts, then please point out to us exactly which puer brands/companies
> are better. I'm always drinking Dayi and Xiaguan; that means I'm
> drinking garbage tea!" No concrete response though. People just said
> Dayi and Xiaguan are ok.

  #38 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

> .ҵΪָкѯۡ۵ҵ Ϊӡ
> ʽֱɾգ潫ܶΥ߽п ҡ澯ʾԼ÷ID
>
> Does it mean Business postings arent allowed


Yeah, it means sales pitches/business postings are strictly not
allowed, will be immediately deleted, and the user may be deducted
"tea money", they will post a warning on the board, and the user will
be restricted from posting again, or even have their ID permanently
removed.

> When is the search function enabled for 'newbies'. If nothing else I
> can paste ubiquitous posts to earn brownie points. I think all I see
> is a reply box and not new box.


You can "buy your way in" - with cash - somehow - usually payment by
cellphone. Otherwise, newbies just have to post a lot of replies to
posts first to earn points and work your way up the ladder. Takes a
long time.
  #39 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 32
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

> Yeah, the search function is disabled for newbies. Sanzui is a site
> based on hierarchy. The lower you are, the less options you can do.
> And the way to increase your rank on the tea totem pole, so to speak,
> is to post a lot and post often. Or at least reply to other posts. But
> putting in just a smiley or 1 word won't do. You get punished for that
> by the Sanzui cops; take away some of your points. That's just their
> etiquette on there.


this part surprise me a lot. here and in every forum i've
participated, been a newby means to read a lot of what is posted
before you ask or comment, because otherwise that topic is probably
discussed already. in one of them, called 'celtiberia.net' and related
with the first history in the iberian peninsula, those pre-roman
times, one of the most valued parts was the so called 'archive of
knowledge'. many of these articles were writen after a discussion in
chat, or the forum, etc. or after an interesting question that needs
to be developed. the writers were all kind of peple, students of
history and archeology, young people interested in those topics, and
last years even professors of the university that collaborate with
much interest.

maybe what was good for that website, which principal topic is
history, is not for tea which is something that happens right now, as
i make and taste the tea, i mean, it's volatile, something about we
like to speak, but maybe not to write and archive. so how to learn
then? just reading the latest? or is just everyone of us can talk
about what we do, every opinion is wellcome. just wondering. anyway,
it's a pity not to speak the lenguage of tea, let's say.

kind regards,
bonifacio barrio hijosa
http://worldoftea.iespana.es

On Dec 16, 6:06*pm, niisonge > wrote:
> > Google wont let me spruce up RFDT with imbedded HTML like IMG and
> > QUOTE because there is the USENET Newsreader legacy. *The best I can
> > do is HTTP links. *

>
> That's my point, it has its limitations.
>
> >Ive been putzing around on Sanzui. *You need an
> > Account. *The Forum makes you pigeon hole your thread in six
> > categories. *I didnt see any appropriate place for a question on Nano
> > tea technology. *It seems more like a social network site based on
> > tea. *Lots of bells and whistles with glitz and glamor. *

>
> That's right, you actually have to sign up for an account before you
> can post a thread or post a reply. But here's the catch: if you're a
> newbie posting isn't allowed initially. And believe me, all that glitz
> and glamor is useful on Sanzui.
>
> > biggest quarrel is the 'new' posts. *Theyre are only good for 24
> > hours. *So if there is a break in the activity the thread rolls off.

>
> Well, a lot of people post or reply to a thread, so that's why things
> get switched around. *Depends on number of new posts and new replies
> to older threads. And also the forum. The Chamagudao forum for Puer is
> by far the most active. Other categories post less, but still there is
> heavy traffic. Depends on the type of post. Someone posted a series of
> pics of a pretty woman brewing tea in a kitchen. That post got a lot
> of attention and replies to be sure.
>
> > Besides the artificial categories, vendor salespitches and threads
> > that are more than a day old it is a tea posters dream. *

>
> I don't really see any sales pitches on there. People are pretty good
> about that. China is a big contry anyway, there are plenty of
> customers. No need to go to a forum like Sanzui and make sales
> pitches. Lots of banner ads though to bring in revenue on the main
> page. Mostly people are there to share their experiences in quality
> differences and demonstrate why. That's why imbedded photos are so
> useful. And it's what makes the site so useful. People can share their
> experiences with their own photos. Or ask for expert opinion.
>
> There was a question asking "If you tea experts have such a low
> opinion of Dayi and Xiaguan puer teas as demonstrated in so many
> posts, then please point out to us exactly which puer brands/companies
> are better. I'm always drinking Dayi and Xiaguan; that means I'm
> drinking garbage tea!" *No concrete response though. People just said
> Dayi and Xiaguan are ok.
>
> > PS *One last picadillo. *There is a search function in the lower right
> > by subject,content,author. *No matter what I put in using Chinese
> > characters it essentially says 'not found'. *

>
> Yeah, the search function is disabled for newbies. Sanzui is a site
> based on hierarchy. The lower you are, the less options you can do.
> And the way to increase your rank on the tea totem pole, so to speak,
> is to post a lot and post often. Or at least reply to other posts. But
> putting in just a smiley or 1 word won't do. You get punished for that
> by the Sanzui cops; take away some of your points. That's just their
> etiquette on there.
>
> So basically, the people that have been on the longest and posted the
> most get all the bells and whistles.


  #40 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 212
Default RFDT (was Nano technology in teas)

> this part surprise me a lot. here and in every forum i've
> participated, been a newby means to read a lot of what is posted
> before you ask or comment, because otherwise that topic is probably
> discussed already.


That's right, that's part of what is happening on Sanzui, newbies
can't post anything at all - because maybe the material is on there
already. But they can reply. Over time, when they read more and post
many replies, then they get enough experience to post their own
topics. That's the way it is now anyway. Before, it wasn't so
complicated.

Sanzui encourages people to contribute short articles to further
knowledge. And that's how most people are learning about tea on Sanzui.
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
* TV Viewing Survey - iPod Nano Drawing gds General Cooking 0 04-05-2006 05:21 PM
TV & Movie Survey - iPod Nano Drawing gds General Cooking 0 02-05-2006 12:20 AM
free ipod nano!!!!!!!!!!!! and funny jokes!!! [email protected] Coffee 0 28-03-2006 03:57 AM
free ipod nano!!!!!!!!!!!! and funny jokes!!! [email protected] Wine 0 28-03-2006 03:52 AM
Industry Packed teas or loose teas? STJones Tea 5 06-02-2006 03:24 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"