Blair P. Houghton

Default Have I mentioned Cost Plus teas aren't all that good?

I got some self-branded "whole leaf" tea at cost-plus a
while back, and I don't recall whether I mentioned that
"whole leaf" doesn't mean "whole leaves" to them.

The broken leaves in CP's teas are a tad larger than the
broken pieces in Twinings' loose teas; but the tea itself
isn't nearly as good (comparing Darjeelings directly,
especially).

I mention it now (maybe again) because I'm about to throw
the rest of the bag away, and don't want to forget to warn
the world, first.

--Blair
"Go with what works."
Space Cowboy

I've never had two commercial brand Darjeelings that I thought taste
even nearly the same. It's the most competitive segment in the shelf
teas. It's the one taste you're going to like better than another. I
gave up a long time ago about being declarative about the taste.
Instead of one Darjeeling I drink many. It's the variety I like in
the taste so on average you can't go wrong. You can't complain about
CP one stop tea shopping. For urban shoppers convenience is more
important than taste. They're not going to flutter around town like
me looking for another brand of Darjeeling. I never worry about grade
but if I had my choice the bigger BOP the sexier. I think their big
type Whole Leaf just warns their consumers it isn't some gourmet
coffee.

Jim

Blair P. Houghton > wrote in message > ...
> I got some self-branded "whole leaf" tea at cost-plus a
> while back, and I don't recall whether I mentioned that
> "whole leaf" doesn't mean "whole leaves" to them.
>
> The broken leaves in CP's teas are a tad larger than the
> broken pieces in Twinings' loose teas; but the tea itself
> isn't nearly as good (comparing Darjeelings directly,
> especially).
>
> I mention it now (maybe again) because I'm about to throw
> the rest of the bag away, and don't want to forget to warn
> the world, first.
>
> --Blair
> "Go with what works."

Blair P. Houghton

Space Cowboy > wrote:
>the taste so on average you can't go wrong. You can't complain about
>CP one stop tea shopping. For urban shoppers convenience is more
>important than taste.

And I wasn't. I was complaining that their bags are
mislabeled and their house-brand Darjeeling is monkey-****.

On the same rack, they have Twinings Darjeeling which is
probably a BOP but at least isn't mislabeled as "whole
leaf", and at best is the far better of the two.

They also, now, have PG Tips "pyramid" bag tea, which is
pretty damned good as well, despite being dust and fannings,
and far more convenient than using a pot.

And they also carry Republic of Tea bag teas, which I've
enjoyed, especially the "British Breakfast Blend".

So I have no use for their falsely labeled path sweepings.

--Blair
"But I'm not complaining
about the selection."
Space Cowboy

It's Darjeeling with the caveat what's in the box so well documented
in this group and by the industry. My favorite label by Brooke Bond
"100 percent Darjeeling". Commercial darjeeling at best is a blend of
darjeeling but you can find some commercial estate darjeeling in a
box. I don't like the packaging for CP because it isn't air tight. I
remember the first CP in my metro area in the late 80's. It had a
fantastic selection of loose and commercial teas but today is more for
the SUV owner psyched about health benefits. When it comes to
commercial teas find one you like and you will. One man's monkey ****
is anothers malt vinegar. I served fried catfish this weekend and I
worried about not enough malt vinegar but I should have made more
tartar and cocktail sauce.