Bob Burlop

Default Teas In Canada

First of all, I'm new to teas. I live in Canada. What is a good,
cheap, tea-bag brand to buy? I see many brands on the shelves: Tetley,
Typhoo, Lipton Yellow Label, but I don't know which to buy. Any help
would be greatly appreceated!
Space Cowboy

The ones you mentioned are a good place to start. There's nothing
wrong with the Canadian Red Rose and Top Leaf. For the newbie I think
shelf teas are a great place to begin. For example buy different
brands of English Breakfast and learn the difference in taste. You'll
eventually like one better than the other and the only taste buds that
count are yours. Also for the newbie I recommend nothing more than
the simple pleasure of drinking tea. I think too many beginners want
to start at the top, spends lots of money, and after a year or two
they don't learn anything, get discouraged and quit. When you learn
the English taste then you can move on too the ethnic stores for
Indian, Arabic, Chinese shelf teas. There is no correct sequence to
shelf teas just enough time.

Jim

(Bob Burlop) wrote in message . com>...
> First of all, I'm new to teas. I live in Canada. What is a good,
> cheap, tea-bag brand to buy? I see many brands on the shelves: Tetley,
> Typhoo, Lipton Yellow Label, but I don't know which to buy. Any help
> would be greatly appreceated!

Richard Bornstein

As far as i am concerned, King Cold/Morse's tea is the best in Canada. You
can get it at Sobey's and Loblaws.

"Bob Burlop" > wrote in message
om...
> First of all, I'm new to teas. I live in Canada. What is a good,
> cheap, tea-bag brand to buy? I see many brands on the shelves: Tetley,
> Typhoo, Lipton Yellow Label, but I don't know which to buy. Any help
> would be greatly appreceated!

Space Cowboy

S/B King Cole tea. Gram for gram one of the tastiest blends around
for a cheap price if you can find it. This is a drink me tea looking
for a boat and a captain.

Jim

"Richard Bornstein" > wrote in message >...
> As far as i am concerned, King Cold/Morse's tea is the best in Canada. You
> can get it at Sobey's and Loblaws.
>

> "Bob Burlop" > wrote in message
> om...
> > First of all, I'm new to teas. I live in Canada. What is a good,
> > cheap, tea-bag brand to buy? I see many brands on the shelves: Tetley,
> > Typhoo, Lipton Yellow Label, but I don't know which to buy. Any help
> > would be greatly appreceated!

Andre

Rooibos Tea is the best. It is a South African tea. It is available in some
health food stores or online at:
www.montegotea.com

"Bob Burlop" > wrote in message
om...
> First of all, I'm new to teas. I live in Canada. What is a good,
> cheap, tea-bag brand to buy? I see many brands on the shelves: Tetley,
> Typhoo, Lipton Yellow Label, but I don't know which to buy. Any help
> would be greatly appreceated!

Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Andre rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> Rooibos Tea is the best. It is a South African tea. It is
> available in some health food stores or online at:
> www.montegotea.com

And, as good as it is, it's also not really "tea". It's an herbal
beverage, with no caffeine.

--
Derek

The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying
relationships is you.
Joanne Rosen

http://www.camellia-sinensis.com/asp/the-s.asp
www.kyelateas.com
www.capitaltea.com
Joanne

"Bob Burlop" > wrote in message
m...
> (Space Cowboy) wrote in message

om>...
> > The ones you mentioned are a good place to start. There's nothing
> > wrong with the Canadian Red Rose and Top Leaf. For the newbie I think
> > shelf teas are a great place to begin. For example buy different
> > brands of English Breakfast and learn the difference in taste. You'll
> > eventually like one better than the other and the only taste buds that
> > count are yours. Also for the newbie I recommend nothing more than
> > the simple pleasure of drinking tea. I think too many beginners want
> > to start at the top, spends lots of money, and after a year or two
> > they don't learn anything, get discouraged and quit. When you learn
> > the English taste then you can move on too the ethnic stores for
> > Indian, Arabic, Chinese shelf teas. There is no correct sequence to
> > shelf teas just enough time.
> >
> > Jim

> Allright, so I bought a back of Red Rose 2 Cup tea bags. How many
> minutes should I brew the tea? Thanks a lot.

(Bob Burlop) wrote in message
. com>...
> > > First of all, I'm new to teas. I live in Canada. What is a good,
> > > cheap, tea-bag brand to buy? I see many brands on the shelves: Tetley,
> > > Typhoo, Lipton Yellow Label, but I don't know which to buy. Any help
> > > would be greatly appreceated!

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Space Cowboy

There is no correct answer only taste. When I use teabags I'm
expecting a convenient fast cup. Any teabag 2 minutes or so it seems
because I don't worry about clocks. The other time you'll see for
teabags is 3 minutes but I could almost be brewing a second 2 minute
cup by then. The best method for determining teabag brewing time is
what I call "bobbing". Lay the teabag in the cup or pot it'll
eventually become saturated and start to sink below the surface.
Essentially you want to be able too easily dunk the teabag two or
three times below the surface. You're looking for enough saturation
for easy bobbing and not heavy saturation where the teabag feels like
a weight. That's the time for any subsequent cups of the bag.

Jim