Dave

Default Mr Coffee Iced Tea Maker

I just purchased this product and I am impressed with the simplicity of this
product.

I do have a few questions :

1. Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags ?
2. What is the difference between regular tea and so-called iced tea brew ?
3. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tea for iced tea ?

http://teameister.com/
Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Dave rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> I just purchased this product and I am impressed with the
> simplicity of this product.

Having grown up in a household where a pitcher of tea in the
refrigerator was a must, we're rather fond of our iced tea maker.
While it doesn't necessarily provide the panache of a nice loose
leaf, I'd certainly not want to use my Mariage Freres teas to make a
pitcher of iced tea.

> I do have a few questions :
>
> 1. Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags
> ?

No.

> 2. What is the difference between regular tea and so-called iced
> tea brew ?

It's simply a difference in blends. Iced tea blends tend to be
smoother, and sweeter - even before Southerners add sugar.

> 3. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tea
> for iced tea ?

I've been using Luzianne for years. Get the "quart bag" sized boxes.
If you can't find them at your local grocery store (like I can't),
then you can order them online from www.luzianne.com.

--
Derek

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each
other.
Dave S

Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags
> > ?

> No.

I guess Mr. Coffee is using wishful thinking by recommending that I use Mr.
Coffee filters. Why do you think Mr.Coffee is suggesting that i use a coffee
filter ?

Southerners do love sweet tea, especially in Georgia. I usually have my tea
unsweetened
http://teameister.com/
"Derek" > wrote in message
> While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Dave rolled
> initiative and posted the following:
>
> > I just purchased this product and I am impressed with the
> > simplicity of this product.

> Having grown up in a household where a pitcher of tea in the
> refrigerator was a must, we're rather fond of our iced tea maker.
> While it doesn't necessarily provide the panache of a nice loose
> leaf, I'd certainly not want to use my Mariage Freres teas to make a
> pitcher of iced tea.
>
> > I do have a few questions :
> >
> > 1. Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags
> > ?

> No.
>
> > 2. What is the difference between regular tea and so-called iced
> > tea brew ?

> It's simply a difference in blends. Iced tea blends tend to be
> smoother, and sweeter - even before Southerners add sugar.
>
> > 3. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tea
> > for iced tea ?

> I've been using Luzianne for years. Get the "quart bag" sized boxes.
> If you can't find them at your local grocery store (like I can't),
> then you can order them online from www.luzianne.com.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each
> other.

---

Dave S

"Derek" > wrote in message
> While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Dave rolled
> initiative and posted the following:
>
> > I just purchased this product and I am impressed with the
> > simplicity of this product.

> Having grown up in a household where a pitcher of tea in the
> refrigerator was a must, we're rather fond of our iced tea maker.
> While it doesn't necessarily provide the panache of a nice loose
> leaf, I'd certainly not want to use my Mariage Freres teas to make a
> pitcher of iced tea.
>
> > I do have a few questions :
> >
> > 1. Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags
> > ?

> No.
>
> > 2. What is the difference between regular tea and so-called iced
> > tea brew ?

> It's simply a difference in blends. Iced tea blends tend to be
> smoother, and sweeter - even before Southerners add sugar.
>
> > 3. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tea
> > for iced tea ?

> I've been using Luzianne for years. Get the "quart bag" sized boxes.
> If you can't find them at your local grocery store (like I can't),
> then you can order them online from www.luzianne.com.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each
> other.

---

Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Dave S rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags
>> > ?

>> No.

> I guess Mr. Coffee is using wishful thinking by recommending that
> I use Mr. Coffee filters. Why do you think Mr.Coffee is suggesting
> that i use a coffee filter ?

[ rubbing fingers together ] "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

Whose filters do you think people are likely to buy?

Also, you'll find that the "tea bin", for lack of a better word, will
get a build up inside over time. I have found that this DOES detract
from the taste of the tea. The top rack of a dishwasher is a GOOD
thing.

> Southerners do love sweet tea, especially in Georgia. I usually
> have my tea unsweetened

So do the folks in Virginia. But you should have seen the look on the
waitresses face when my brother-in-law from Norfolk asked the
waitress in Two Harbors, MN, for "sweet tea."

Priceless.

--
Derek

None of us is as dumb as all of us.

Dave S

Strange. Mr. Coffee says the bin is not dishwasher safe.

If I decide to use a filter, how many uses would I get out of it ?

I am not a coffee drinker, so I have no clue about coffee filters.

"Derek" > wrote in message
> While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Dave S rolled
> initiative and posted the following:
>
> > Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags
> >>
> >> No.

> > I guess Mr. Coffee is using wishful thinking by recommending that
> > I use Mr. Coffee filters. Why do you think Mr.Coffee is suggesting
> > that i use a coffee filter ?

> [ rubbing fingers together ] "$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"
>
> Whose filters do you think people are likely to buy?
>
> Also, you'll find that the "tea bin", for lack of a better word, will
> get a build up inside over time. I have found that this DOES detract
> from the taste of the tea. The top rack of a dishwasher is a GOOD
> thing.
>
> > Southerners do love sweet tea, especially in Georgia. I usually
> > have my tea unsweetened

> So do the folks in Virginia. But you should have seen the look on the
> waitresses face when my brother-in-law from Norfolk asked the
> waitress in Two Harbors, MN, for "sweet tea."
>
> Priceless.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> None of us is as dumb as all of us.

---

Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Dave S rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> Strange. Mr. Coffee says the bin is not dishwasher safe.

Funny, I've washed the bin in the top rack, and the pitcher in the
bottom with no problem at all.

> If I decide to use a filter, how many uses would I get out of it
> ?

Probably 1 if you're going loose leaf.

> I am not a coffee drinker, so I have no clue about coffee
> filters.

Ditto.

--
Derek

A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of
destruction.
Dave S

I would never, could never drink coffee. It's bitter tasting.
"Derek" > wrote in message
> While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Dave S rolled
> initiative and posted the following:
>
> > Strange. Mr. Coffee says the bin is not dishwasher safe.

> Funny, I've washed the bin in the top rack, and the pitcher in the
> bottom with no problem at all.
>
> > If I decide to use a filter, how many uses would I get out of it
> > ?

> Probably 1 if you're going loose leaf.
>
> > I am not a coffee drinker, so I have no clue about coffee
> > filters.

> Ditto.
>
> --
> Derek
>
> A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of
> destruction.

---

Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Sevyn rolled
initiative and posted the following:

> I've never bothered using a filter with my Ice Tea Maker and I
> use both tea bags and loose tea in it. Works fine either way.
> After a few trys you will figure out the amount of tea that
> works best for your tastes. I rarely have enough ice to fill
> the pitcher and often make half batches with good results. I
> make life even easier and add the sugar to the filter basket.
> As for the tea, I have tried pretty much any tea I would drink
> hot. Sometimes the results are odd and I have to adjust the
> sugar or add a bit more water but so far (knock wood) it's all
> been very tasty.

Oh, how I agree on the lack of ice. We usually make 3quarts of
concentrate and then just fill up the pitcher with water and put it
in the refrigerator overnight. We tend to tap it out in the
evening, so this "system" works for us.

--
Derek

You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision,
determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
Sevyn

I've never bothered using a filter with my Ice Tea Maker and I use both tea
bags and loose tea in it. Works fine either way. After a few trys you will
figure out the amount of tea that works best for your tastes. I rarely have
enough ice to fill the pitcher and often make half batches with good
results. I make life even easier and add the sugar to the filter basket.
As for the tea, I have tried pretty much any tea I would drink hot.
Sometimes the results are odd and I have to adjust the sugar or add a bit
more water but so far (knock wood) it's all been very tasty.

Have fun experimenting!

Katharine

"Dave S" > wrote in message
> Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags
> > > ?

> > No.

> I guess Mr. Coffee is using wishful thinking by recommending that I use

Mr.
> Coffee filters. Why do you think Mr.Coffee is suggesting that i use a

coffee
> filter ?
>
> Southerners do love sweet tea, especially in Georgia. I usually have my

tea
> unsweetened
> http://teameister.com/
> "Derek" > wrote in message
> > While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Dave rolled
> > initiative and posted the following:
> >
> > > I just purchased this product and I am impressed with the
> > > simplicity of this product.

> > Having grown up in a household where a pitcher of tea in the
> > refrigerator was a must, we're rather fond of our iced tea maker.
> > While it doesn't necessarily provide the panache of a nice loose
> > leaf, I'd certainly not want to use my Mariage Freres teas to make a
> > pitcher of iced tea.
> >
> > > I do have a few questions :
> > >
> > > 1. Do I need to use a coffee filter in it, if I an using tea bags
> > > ?

> > No.
> >
> > > 2. What is the difference between regular tea and so-called iced
> > > tea brew ?

> > It's simply a difference in blends. Iced tea blends tend to be
> > smoother, and sweeter - even before Southerners add sugar.
> >
> > > 3. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good tea
> > > for iced tea ?

> > I've been using Luzianne for years. Get the "quart bag" sized boxes.
> > If you can't find them at your local grocery store (like I can't),
> > then you can order them online from www.luzianne.com.
> >
> > --
> > Derek
> >
> > When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each
> > other.

> ---

Sevyn

"Derek" > wrote in message
> While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Sevyn rolled
> initiative and posted the following:
>
> > I've never bothered using a filter with my Ice Tea Maker and I
> > use both tea bags and loose tea in it. Works fine either way.
> > After a few trys you will figure out the amount of tea that
> > works best for your tastes. I rarely have enough ice to fill
> > the pitcher and often make half batches with good results. I
> > make life even easier and add the sugar to the filter basket.
> > As for the tea, I have tried pretty much any tea I would drink
> > hot. Sometimes the results are odd and I have to adjust the
> > sugar or add a bit more water but so far (knock wood) it's all
> > been very tasty.

> Oh, how I agree on the lack of ice. We usually make 3quarts of
> concentrate and then just fill up the pitcher with water and put it
> in the refrigerator overnight. We tend to tap it out in the
> evening, so this "system" works for us.

I like that idea. I'll have to try it

> --
> Derek
>
> You can do anything you set your mind to when you have vision,
> determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.

Derek

While intrepidly exploring rec.food.drink.tea, Sevyn rolled
initiative and posted the following:

>> Oh, how I agree on the lack of ice. We usually make 3quarts of
>> concentrate and then just fill up the pitcher with water and
>> put it in the refrigerator overnight. We tend to tap it out in
>> the evening, so this "system" works for us.

> I like that idea. I'll have to try it

It works. If you need tea right away, you've got to put more ice
per glass to make it "iced" so the initial glasses can be a bit
watered down. But it's less of a hassle than making extra ice every
time you need iced tea.

But then, we don't have an icemaker, just the trays.

--
Derek

Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off
now.