Ripon

Default Tea as fertilizer

I heard from couple of people after steeping your tea the leafs are
good as organic fertilizer for plant, instead to dump them as trash. I
did regularly(almost two weeks) and my plant struggling now. 75% of my
plant's leafs are gone. My first recycling experiment of tea seems
failed. Did I make a mistake? What do you know about- tea as
fertilizer.

Ripon
(Bangladesh)
Livio Zanini

"Ripon" > ha scritto nel messaggio
om...
> I heard from couple of people after steeping your tea the leafs are
> good as organic fertilizer for plant, instead to dump them as trash. I
> did regularly(almost two weeks) and my plant struggling now. 75% of my
> plant's leafs are gone. My first recycling experiment of tea seems
> failed. Did I make a mistake? What do you know about- tea as
> fertilizer.
>

> Ripon
> (Bangladesh)

I sometime I put some used leaves in my plant pots and usually poor first
tea leaves rinse waste water as well. I do it only with acidophilous plants,
such as camellias, gardenias and rhododendrons.
Consider also that used leaves in the pot might get rotten and cause the
development of root-mould, which inexsorably takes your plants directly to
Amitabha Western-paradise. I once made a pillow with used tea leaves, but I
didn't find it much confortable.

Agalena

"Ripon" > wrote in message
om...
> I heard from couple of people after steeping your tea the leafs are
> good as organic fertilizer for plant, instead to dump them as trash. I
> did regularly(almost two weeks) and my plant struggling now. 75% of my
> plant's leafs are gone. My first recycling experiment of tea seems
> failed. Did I make a mistake? What do you know about- tea as
> fertilizer.

I don't know about putting the steeped leaves directly on the soil. I
compost them with other vegetable waste, and it produces a very good
compost. This is much needed in my garden because our soil is solid clay.

Agalena

Atalante

"Ripon" > wrote in message
om...
> I heard from couple of people after steeping your tea the leafs are
> good as organic fertilizer for plant, instead to dump them as trash. I
> did regularly(almost two weeks) and my plant struggling now. 75% of my
> plant's leafs are gone. My first recycling experiment of tea seems
> failed. Did I make a mistake? What do you know about- tea as
> fertilizer.
>

> Ripon
> (Bangladesh)

My grandmother does that all the time. She always has plates with drying tea
bags on around her kitchen - and if it works with tea bags, I'm sure it
would work with tea leaves

Tea

"Atalante" > wrote in message
> "Ripon" > wrote in message
> om...
> > I heard from couple of people after steeping your tea the leafs are
> > good as organic fertilizer for plant, instead to dump them as trash. I
> > did regularly(almost two weeks) and my plant struggling now. 75% of my
> > plant's leafs are gone. My first recycling experiment of tea seems
> > failed. Did I make a mistake? What do you know about- tea as
> > fertilizer.
> >

> > Ripon
> > (Bangladesh)

> My grandmother does that all the time. She always has plates with drying

tea
> bags on around her kitchen - and if it works with tea bags, I'm sure it
> would work with tea leaves

It depends on how much tea you are using. If you are iling tea leaves on
the plants every day, yu'll encourage root rot. Don't use a lot of tea
leaves, and wait at least a week between mulchings.

Derek

It was open stage night in rec.food.drink.tea, when Tea stepped up
to the microphone and muttered:

> "Atalante" > wrote in message
>> "Ripon" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> > I heard from couple of people after steeping your tea the
>> > leafs are good as organic fertilizer for plant, instead to
>> > dump them as trash. I did regularly(almost two weeks) and my
>> > plant struggling now. 75% of my plant's leafs are gone. My
>> > first recycling experiment of tea seems failed. Did I make a
>> > mistake? What do you know about- tea as fertilizer.
>> >

>> > Ripon
>> > (Bangladesh)

>> My grandmother does that all the time. She always has plates
>> with drying tea
>> bags on around her kitchen - and if it works with tea bags, I'm
>> sure it would work with tea leaves

> It depends on how much tea you are using. If you are iling tea
> leaves on the plants every day, yu'll encourage root rot. Don't
> use a lot of tea leaves, and wait at least a week between
> mulchings.

But isn't the issue of "root rot" addressed by the fact that
grandma was drying the teabags first?

Adding the dry leaves won't add to root rot. But if you're adding
wet leaves, every day, day after day - that's going to make things
wetter than the need to be.

--
Derek

The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures.
Tea

"Derek" > wrote in message
> It was open stage night in rec.food.drink.tea, when Tea stepped up
> to the microphone and muttered:
>

> > "Atalante" > wrote in message
> >> "Ripon" > wrote in message
> >> om...

> >> My grandmother does that all the time. She always has plates
> >> with drying tea
> >> bags on around her kitchen - and if it works with tea bags, I'm
> >> sure it would work with tea leaves

> > It depends on how much tea you are using. If you are iling tea
> > leaves on the plants every day, yu'll encourage root rot. Don't
> > use a lot of tea leaves, and wait at least a week between
> > mulchings.

> But isn't the issue of "root rot" addressed by the fact that
> grandma was drying the teabags first?
>
> Adding the dry leaves won't add to root rot. But if you're adding
> wet leaves, every day, day after day - that's going to make things
> wetter than the need to be.
>
> --
> Derek

My bad. I was referring to Ripon's post, not Atalante's. I dry my tea
before adding it- and even then, I don't overdo it, since the leaves, when
wetted through watering, will get moldy if they pile up.

Derek

It was open stage night in rec.food.drink.tea, when Tea stepped up
to the microphone and muttered:

> "Derek" > wrote in message
>> It was open stage night in rec.food.drink.tea, when Tea stepped
>> up to the microphone and muttered:

>> > It depends on how much tea you are using. If you are iling
>> > tea leaves on the plants every day, yu'll encourage root rot.
>> > Don't use a lot of tea leaves, and wait at least a week
>> > between mulchings.

>> But isn't the issue of "root rot" addressed by the fact that
>> grandma was drying the teabags first?
>>
>> Adding the dry leaves won't add to root rot. But if you're
>> adding wet leaves, every day, day after day - that's going to
>> make things wetter than the need to be.
>>

> My bad. I was referring to Ripon's post, not Atalante's. I dry
> my tea before adding it- and even then, I don't overdo it, since
> the leaves, when wetted through watering, will get moldy if they
> pile up.

Well, posts do tend to overlap. No "bad" involved.

--
Derek

Road Kill Cafe - We make it your way, right away.
Straight from your grill to ours.