Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Default Trip to Semarang Indonesia

I'm going to Semarang, Indonesia, with a couple of days in Bali also,
in August. The teas I've had from Indonesia have been decent, but
nothing spectacular. However, I understand that Semarang has a large
Chinese population, so I thought there might be some tea to be had
there.

I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone had any recommendations
for Indonesian teas, or had been to Semarang and knew of any good
shops for Chinese tea.

Thanks,

Blues
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Indonesia has tea plantations. There is nothing better than 'tea off
the bush'. My local tea shoppe sells something called Java tea from
Indonesia. Supposedly from bush that grows out of the lava beds.
They're out, I'm down to my last 100g and I'll sadly miss it. I think
I can taste ash. I remember some prior posts that Indonesia makes
some compressed tea or stockpiles Puer for 'aging'.

Jim

wrote:
> I'm going to Semarang, Indonesia, with a couple of days in Bali also,
> in August. The tea\0\05{\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0donesia have been decent, but
> nothing spectacular. However, I understand that Semarang has a large
> Chinese population, so I thought there might be some tea to be had
> there.
>
> I thought I'd check in here and see if anyone had any recommendations
> for Indonesian teas, or had been to Semarang and knew of any good
> shops for Chinese tea.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Blues

Posted to rec.food.drink.tea

Thanks Jim,

I know there are some plantations around Semarang, but I'm not sure
how far outside of town. I'd love to see them. I'm sure they will
keep me busy while I'm there and I'm going to be at the mercy of those
driving us around. Hopefully I'll at least get to visit a tea shop in
the Chinese section of town.

Blues