Tea (rec.drink.tea) Discussion relating to tea, the world's second most consumed beverage (after water), made by infusing or boiling the leaves of the tea plant (C. sinensis or close relatives) in water.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default Is this real tea?

Hi,

I have a question to the helpful folks at rec.food.drink.tea. I have
received a nice gift from my sister: it is a piece of a compressed cake made
of dry buds and leaves of some kind of dried herbs. She bought it from a
small vendor of Chinese teas, for quite a high price admittedly. The vendor
said it was a puerh cake made of the finest tea buds. My sister wrote the
name of the tea on the wrapping as she heard it from the vendor: "Shen puerh
Ya Ping".

I have brewed and tasted the tea and I have my serious doubts. It does not
taste and smell like tea at all - has almost no taste and has a weak and
unpleasant sweet smell - and the wet buds definitely do not look like
Camelia Chinensis. I am wondering what it could be, and I hope that some of
the more experienced readers of this group could tell me.

Here you can see some pictures of both the dry and the wet leaves:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...hitecake01.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...hitecake02.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...hitecake03.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...hitecake04.jpg

Thank you,
Gyorgy


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18
Default Is this real tea?

Maybe it's a compressed version of Ya Bao. Here's a link:
http://www.royalpuer.com/Ya-Bao.asp
~grasshopper
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 997
Default Is this real tea?

Grasshopper > writes:

> Maybe it's a compressed version of Ya Bao. Here's a link:
> http://www.royalpuer.com/Ya-Bao.asp


I agree on the resemblance. And when I had a chance to taste Yabaocha
a while ago, I found it kind of nasty in a way that made me doubt it
really was Camellia sinensis, which is what the original poster was
saying. Please note that I'm not saying it isn't tea, just that it's
.... weird.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default Is this real tea?

Thank you, Grasshopper and Lewis! Yes, the resemblance of the wet leaves is
striking, so it is almost certainly the same tea.

Lewis, I would also describe the taste of this tea as nasty and weird. Quite
the opposite of what the reviewers say at the Royal Puer site.

Gyorgy

"Lewis Perin" > skrev i en meddelelse
news
> Grasshopper > writes:
>
>> Maybe it's a compressed version of Ya Bao. Here's a link:
>> http://www.royalpuer.com/Ya-Bao.asp

>
> I agree on the resemblance. And when I had a chance to taste Yabaocha
> a while ago, I found it kind of nasty in a way that made me doubt it
> really was Camellia sinensis, which is what the original poster was
> saying. Please note that I'm not saying it isn't tea, just that it's
> ... weird.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /
>
http://www.panix.com/~perin/babelcarp.html



  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default Is this real tea?

On Apr 27, 10:45*pm, "Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote:
> Hi,
> I have brewed and tasted the tea and I have my serious doubts. It does not
> taste and smell like tea at all - has almost no taste and has a weak and
> unpleasant sweet smell - and the wet buds definitely do not look like
> Camelia Chinensis. I am wondering what it could be, and I hope that some of
> the more experienced readers of this group could tell me.
>


Hi György (are you Hungarian? :-)

the cake looks to be of pure buds (tea-rügy) like this one
http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Silver-Bud-...QQcmdZViewItem

The very young tea leaves are probably less powerful then more grown
leaves. Unlike pu-erh, this cake will also not age well.


Tomas

http://tuochatea.blogspot.com


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 31
Default Is this real tea?

"Balt" > wrote:
On Apr 27, 10:45 pm, "Gyorgy Sajo" > wrote:

> Hi György (are you Hungarian? :-)


Yes. Thanks for the double dots. :-)

>the cake looks to be of pure buds (tea-rügy) like this one
>http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-Silver-Bud-...QQcmdZViewItem


Yes, they are indeed buds, they just do not look like any other teabuds that
I have seen before. They have a very unusual structure with many small
leaves developing almost simultaneously from the same base point.

György


  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 65
Default Is this real tea?

I realize it has been a while since this string of posts first
appeared, but I had ordered some ya bao cha from Royal Puer way back
at the end of March and just today received my shipment. I brewed some
of the ya bao cha in a tall glass like one might brew a green tea in
China, and I find it quite pleasant and not in the slightest bit
nasty. It seems a bit fruity with a piney taste in there somewhere. In
fact, I even taste a similar flavor to a dan cong I have (and like). I
think this is really good, whether tea or not. And despite the strange
appearance of the tea buds, which are similar to the pictures in the
first post, I wouldn't be surprised to find out this is actually from
a real camelia sinensis (sp?) bush. I will admit that I can't imagine
how this would taste if brewed gongfu style--might be a little harsh
and bad. I would not describe the tea I received from royalpuer.com as
"weak" in any way. It is, in fact, pretty strong in fragrance and
taste.

I just wanted to put this description out there for anyone who may be
considering giving this tea a try. I'm pretty happy with it and glad I
gave it a shot.

-cha bing

  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Mai Mai is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Is this real tea?

On Jun 21, 1:52*pm, cha bing > wrote:
> I realize it has been a while since this string of posts first
> appeared, but I had ordered some ya bao cha from Royal Puer way back
> at the end of March and just today received my shipment. I brewed some
> of the ya bao cha in a tall glass like one might brew a green tea in
> China, and I find it quite pleasant and not in the slightest bit
> nasty. It seems a bit fruity with a piney taste in there somewhere. In
> fact, I even taste a similar flavor to a dan cong I have (and like). I
> think this is really good, whether tea or not. And despite the strange
> appearance of the tea buds, which are similar to the pictures in the
> first post, I wouldn't be surprised to find out this is actually from
> a real camelia sinensis (sp?) bush. I will admit that I can't imagine
> how this would taste if brewed gongfu style--might be a little harsh
> and bad. I would not describe the tea I received from royalpuer.com as
> "weak" in any way. It is, in fact, pretty strong in fragrance and
> taste.
>
> I just wanted to put this description out there for anyone who may be
> considering giving this tea a try. I'm pretty happy with it and glad I
> gave it a shot.
>
> -cha bing


Dear members,



My name is See and I have been doing a lot of research on internet
home business, but never come across any thing like this before. A
new tea industry has just launch and not yet nation wide until
October of this year. Now, this is not a get rich quick program, but
I do guarantee that you will enjoy the tea to make you feel
healthier. I have just met the owner of Teakare green tea, his name
is Tong Be and Achong. I have also drink the Unseen tea and it has
help me get more energy doing daily work while I'm 8 months pregnant.
Before I drink the tea, I was really tired and was unable to get up
and do things around the house because of nausea, morning sickness,
and vomiting. But ever since I started to drink the tea, and I'm not
trying to convince any one, but from my own experience only. This is
one of a kind tea that helps with weight loss, lowers cholesterol,
lowers blood pressure, lower diabetes, reduces allergies, and much
more. I tell you, this tea really work and the tea will speak for
itself when you drink it.

At the seminar today, I have learn that many members who drink tea for
a few weeks to a few months now has improves in lowers diabetes,
lowers blood pressure, improve in arthritis, has better eyesight, more
body energy, reduces hair loss, some has loss a few pounds, and it
benefit better health for pregnant women and their baby just by
drinking tea daily during meals. You know that most of our body build
up chemical from the food we eat and 30% of the chemical is pass down
to unborn baby. But when you drink Unseen tea, it helps to release
all the chemical and waste in our body and help build up our energies
and pregnant women will have a healthier baby. I and others only
speak the truth from our experience in drinking the tea. So for you
to experience any of the tea, you must join our teakare membership for
the promotion before it ends on July 26, 2008.

If you are interested in becoming a Teakare Distributors where you can
work from home and earn commissions, just e-mail me and I will sent
you the application forms. Remember, when you become a teakare
distributor, me and my team will do our best to help any one to
succeed in being your own boss. We work and build our down line as a
team. Because if you don't make any money, we don't make any money.
But if you don't want to be a distributor, you can just join our
membership to enjoy the benefit of the tea for better health and
lifestyle. If you have any questions at all, please, e-mail me and I
will send more information to you.

Please, only e-mail me if you are interested in starting a home
business with Teakare or for ordering informations.


(Copy & Paste ) http://www.myincomeprofit.com/teakare/




Sincerely,


See
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this guy for real? Robert Blaine General Cooking 16 18-12-2009 07:37 PM
Is this guy for real? louisbike Barbecue 4 17-09-2009 09:23 PM
International Real Estate Directory -Find Real Estate, MyDirectory General Cooking 0 28-12-2006 10:04 PM
Gourmandia - Real Food Website for Real People [email protected] General Cooking 3 22-12-2006 01:27 PM
FS: Real Bicycle Seats for Real People! [email protected] Marketplace 0 22-02-2006 11:30 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2024 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"